Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Military training  (Read 1443 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military training
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:47 pm »

The only way i've found to train them that is even remotely functional is set them up in a small room lined with Upright Spike/Spear Traps all linked to one lever, then set that level to pull repeatedly forever. More spears = more experience, i would assume, and 3 per trap is pretty much completely safe in copper armor, assuming you are 100% covered in armor(cloth or leather won't cut it, don't even try unless you want to keep your hospital pretty busy)

Shield and fighter skyrocket to legendary in no time, weapon/armor/dodge take a bit longer but will get there.

Also, this isn't my idea. It's been posted in several military threads before now.

This could technically possibly be viewed as an exploit because of how fast some of the skills rise, but the only other feasible way to raise a military at all is tons and tons of cage traps and slowly disarming and linking each goblin cage to a lever and beating the crap out of him with training swords. It's tedious and boring as crap and tbh i don't really like cage traps, they vary between outright amazing and completely useless depending on the numbers you are facing.

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »

gimped? I am glad its harder.

It actually feels semi challenging now.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 08:27:15 pm »

You could try live training. Dig into a cavern. Make the cavern a burrow. Order your dwarves to defend that burrow.

To prolong combat give them training weapons. They will then roam around the cavern, beating up the local wildlife with their wooden training swords, spears, and axes. They should skill up very quickly.

Give them steel armor and the cavern wildlife shouldn't be able to harm your dwarves even if they're rookies.
A Draltha on the most benign possible cavern can destroy a dwarf in steel with ease if it fights back. No joke.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 08:31:11 pm »

You could try live training. Dig into a cavern. Make the cavern a burrow. Order your dwarves to defend that burrow.

To prolong combat give them training weapons. They will then roam around the cavern, beating up the local wildlife with their wooden training swords, spears, and axes. They should skill up very quickly.

Give them steel armor and the cavern wildlife shouldn't be able to harm your dwarves even if they're rookies.
A Draltha on the most benign possible cavern can destroy a dwarf in steel with ease if it fights back. No joke.

That's why gays aren't allowed in the military. :P Oh come on, it was funny.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 09:21:20 pm »

That's why gays aren't allowed in the military. :P Oh come on, it was funny.
Not really. But I digress. Let me put it to you like this:

Giant Olms give about 14 meat.

Draltha can give up to a 100+ meat.

...A Dragon gives about 130 meat.

That sums up their potential size and how the idea of leaving Dwarves in a cavern killing everything might not work unless they're Chuck Norris.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 03:54:45 am »

Are you giving them any time off?  I used to rotate my dwarfs through jobs (Train/Patrol/Station/Inactive) in one month stints, and took them 4 years to become competent.  I then changed it to 3-month blocks of each job, and they gained skill much quicker.  It appears that 1 month just isn't enough for them to finish whatever they were doing, equip and travel to the barracks - they might only get 2 weeks' training in before having to move on.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 08:29:40 am »

Are you giving them any time off?  I used to rotate my dwarfs through jobs (Train/Patrol/Station/Inactive) in one month stints, and took them 4 years to become competent.  I then changed it to 3-month blocks of each job, and they gained skill much quicker.  It appears that 1 month just isn't enough for them to finish whatever they were doing, equip and travel to the barracks - they might only get 2 weeks' training in before having to move on.

They had NO time off. As I said before they trained constantly, gaining little to no experience.
Pages: 1 [2]