Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Military training  (Read 1441 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Military training
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:07:01 pm »

Is there any way to increase the experience gained by soldiers through training and such? Normally I'd just stick with it for a while, but currently things are completly useless in my opinion.

Anyone know how I could fix it?

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military training
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:09:30 pm »

I believe there are modifiers from the "Teacher" and "Student" skills which have just been fixed in the latest version.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:31 pm »

I believe there are modifiers from the "Teacher" and "Student" skills which have just been fixed in the latest version.

I mean directly though. I wanted to get skill gain speed back to something a touch more reasonable. Even dwarves with no skill shpuld at least become mildly skilled in a year and a half, not remain dabbling forever.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »

I mean directly though. I wanted to get skill gain speed back to something a touch more reasonable. Even dwarves with no skill shpuld at least become mildly skilled in a year and a half, not remain dabbling forever.

Besides having them kill actual enemies, I don't believe so.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:14:31 pm »

Besides having them kill actual enemies, I don't believe so.

nuts. I really can't stomach how gimped the military is in the newer versions.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:17:49 pm »

Break them into small 3 or 4 dwarf squads. It's an order of magnitude faster than having 10 dwarf squads. Sparring is the best training method by far, but each squad can only have one spar match going on at once. This means in a ten dwarf squad at any given time you will have two dwarves actually gaining skill and eight sitting around doing completely ineffective demonstrations or individual training. Break this into one 4 dwarf and two 3 dwarf squads and you've got up to six dwarves sparring and only four standing around. They'll still do demonstrations, especially at first, but after that the rate of gain is like I said an order of magnitude greater than the 10 dwarf squad.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:19:58 pm »

Break them into small 3 or 4 dwarf squads. It's an order of magnitude faster than having 10 dwarf squads. Sparring is the best training method by far, but each squad can only have one spar match going on at once. This means in a ten dwarf squad at any given time you will have two dwarves actually gaining skill and eight sitting around doing completely ineffective demonstrations or individual training. Break this into one 4 dwarf and two 3 dwarf squads and you've got up to six dwarves sparring and only four standing around. They'll still do demonstrations, especially at first, but after that the rate of gain is like I said an order of magnitude greater than the 10 dwarf squad.

Except that i use squads of only 2 dwarves apiece, sparring constantly. This resulted in 1 becoming a novice in roughly a year... Maybe I have a bug or something...

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:21:24 pm »

Gimped?  New military is awesome.  You only need to touch it to add more recruits otherwise it does its own thing.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:26:43 pm »

Except that i use squads of only 2 dwarves apiece, sparring constantly. This resulted in 1 becoming a novice in roughly a year... Maybe I have a bug or something...
They're sparring constantly (you get sparring reports on R frequently) and they aren't gaining skill?

Are they equipped with weapons and armor? Otherwise I have no idea; could very well be a bug. Ever since I swapped to the small squad approach I've seen dwarves hit legendary fighter from dabbling in a year.

I would not rule out a bug with regards to anything in this edition, though. This is one of the most buggy pieces of software I've ever used, buggy to the point of being unplayable at spots. If they're really sparring and they really aren't gaining skill that is probably what is is, sadly.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 01:29:11 pm »

They're sparring constantly (you get sparring reports on R frequently) and they aren't gaining skill?

Are they equipped with weapons and armor? Otherwise I have no idea; could very well be a bug. Ever since I swapped to the small squad approach I've seen dwarves hit legendary fighter from dabbling in a year.

I would not rule out a bug with regards to anything in this edition, though. This is one of the most buggy pieces of software I've ever used, buggy to the point of being unplayable at spots. If they're really sparring and they really aren't gaining skill that is probably what is is, sadly.

Must be a bug then. I had the 2 recruits decked out in full bronze plate, with bronze war axes. Sparred for a year. one hit novice in his axe skill, and remained dabbling in everyting else. The other guy was still dabbling in everything.

Anyone else have this problem?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 03:03:54 pm »

You could try live training. Dig into a cavern. Make the cavern a burrow. Order your dwarves to defend that burrow.

To prolong combat give them training weapons. They will then roam around the cavern, beating up the local wildlife with their wooden training swords, spears, and axes. They should skill up very quickly.

Give them steel armor and the cavern wildlife shouldn't be able to harm your dwarves even if they're rookies.

minozake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 03:37:47 pm »

You could also set up wooden training spear traps in your barracks to a lever on repeat pull.  This should train their armor and shields up rather quickly.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 03:38:29 pm »

Gimped?  New military is awesome.  You only need to touch it to add more recruits otherwise it does its own thing.

New training has always been too slow and random for me; I prefer to fill the barracks with upright spike traps loaded with wooden training spears, and set the attached lever to repeat, as the previous user posted.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 06:59:18 pm »

There's also the "unwilling sparring partner" route, where you release naked goblins for your soldiers to gnaw on until they get decent, where you release goblins with armor but no weapons for your soldiers to gnaw on.  Actual military targets (if gimped ones) tend to give your dwarves experience VERY fast. 

I've had dwarves hit legendary wrestling with a single zombie stingray that popped up at embark before.

(Unless, of course, it really is some sort of odd bug)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 06:15:42 pm »

Ok, i just lost a fort because a full squad of axedwarves has got slaughtered by the 1st goblin ambush party sent to them.
They were all equipped with axes and shields.

The problem i can see is the same as the OP, for the whole full year i had them training in the barracks, none of them got better than novice, and most were "dabbling".

So is it intended that training in barracks is useless and so the player should find some silly workaround (throwing the recruits into cavern and fight hoping a few will survive and get some real skill improvement) to get the dwarves actually train their skills, or is this a bug ?
Pages: [1] 2