Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing resource measurements  (Read 1096 times)

EvilMoogle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing resource measurements
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:23:38 am »

In the 0.31 release they changed the way cloth/thread/soap/etc was measured in order for hospitals to make better use of the materials, 1 spool of thread became 15000 units of thread.

Why not do something similar for stone, wood, and metal?  Then change job requirements for crafting to require differing amounts of materials?

Like right now one stone boulder will produce a stone door or a stone coffin or a stone ring.

This would allow mining to produce varied results depending on the skill of the miner.  Rather than a boolean 1/0 stone produced a miner could produce a large stone boulder worth 10000 stone or a small boulder worth 5000 stone or some stone rocks worth 1000 stone.  If we want to get complicated the jobs could even specify the largest single piece required (a stone table needs 9000 stone to produce including at least one piece of size 5000, though this would make keeping track of bits of stone a logistical problem, might need to introduce "dwarven concrete" to make use of the leftover bits).

Doing the same thing for food and booze would make it easier to step towards setting thresholds for when dwarves need to eat/drink.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Changing resource measurements
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:29:40 am »

You might want to read the Volume and Mass thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61215.0

That thread is basically all about using metric units rather than arbitrary abstract units.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:32:18 pm »

Don't think that's what he's suggesting.

I like this idea, but how would the game display the parts of the boulder/bar/log that aren't used up? The cloth rework handled this by permanently locking the cloth in a hospital chest. Perhaps one could give workshops the same sort of storage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »

Don't think that's what he's suggesting.

I like this idea, but how would the game display the parts of the boulder/bar/log that aren't used up? The cloth rework handled this by permanently locking the cloth in a hospital chest. Perhaps one could give workshops the same sort of storage.

Since this is basically about the other thread, I responded there: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61215.msg1494528#msg1494528
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

EvilMoogle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:19:03 pm »

You might want to read the Volume and Mass thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61215.0

That thread is basically all about using metric units rather than arbitrary abstract units.
I'm more concerned with the production side of things than trying to quantify the space in a square (I think the latter is important but it's more grandiose than what I have in mind).

What I would probably come up with is make a few base "types" of items, eg "large boulder" "small boulder" "rocks" etc then any "leftovers" could be stored in the workshop in a similar fashion to how melted objects are now.

So using the numbers above if you were making a stone hatch that requires 6500 stone from a 10000 stone boulder it would produce the hatch, 3 "rocks" worth 1000 each and leave 500 stone "points" in the workshop for future use.

The "rocks" might be used for mugs or rings or other crafts while the "points" could be used towards extra requirements on other projects.

If there were a particular need to make things into a transportable object I could see a units made into dwarven concrete, wood crafted into boards, and metal forged back into bars.

A more complicated method would be to just keep track of the "value" of every boulder/bar/etc, but I think that would end up just making more of a mess in the fortress (not to mention I'm sure my ever-loving stone craftdwarf would carve a single ring out of every boulder just to spam me with cancellations).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:31:47 pm »

A sound method, but it would increase clutter a great deal. I think a better solution would be an internal storage similar to that of a hospital, and have a "Stock Workshop" order.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EvilMoogle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:57:43 pm »

That would work too, though it brings up the question of what happens when you deconstruct a workshop.