Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Lone Wolf & Project Aon: SeventhSense 1.16.1 update - Books 1-16 playable!  (Read 19880 times)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I never made it through book one without dying. :'(
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a trade off that eliminates the tedious temptation to grind out max stats. And I'd be grinding. I once spent six hours re-rolling my character stats in Baldur's Gate, for example.

I think it was Temple of Elemental Evil where, if you rerolled exactly 9999 times, it gave you natural 18s in everything. And if you rolled to 10000, it gave you natural 3s. =P

What really bugs me are the instant death endings, especially when it's of the 'Oh, you're an incredible fighter, but you made a stupid mistake and die. Start over!' persuasion.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, I love roleplaying CYOA books. (Even though the only two I know of are The Risus solitare book and one by Garth Nix in a collection of his.) Definitely going to check this out.

Does Seventh Sense offer the choice to put bookmarks three choices back and onwards from those though? Seriously, it takes all ten of my fingers to read any type of CYOA book.

EDIT: Well, that wasn't too bad. Already done with the first two books (although I _did_ turn on the save at any time feature..got annoyed with doing the same actions again and again. Pretty interesting as well as fun.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:56:14 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile

Ooh, I love roleplaying CYOA books. (Even though the only two I know of are The Risus solitare book and one by Garth Nix in a collection of his.) Definitely going to check this out.

You've seen the Choice Of series, right?

http://www.choiceofgames.com/broadsides/
http://www.choiceofgames.com/dragon/

And some others that I never got around to playing. Broadsides is like a CYOA of the Aubrey-Maturin naval series.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You've seen the Choice Of series, right?

http://www.choiceofgames.com/broadsides/
http://www.choiceofgames.com/dragon/

And some others that I never got around to playing. Broadsides is like a CYOA of the Aubrey-Maturin naval series.

Oh, actually I have. I totally forgot about those, actually.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

It's a trade off that eliminates the tedious temptation to grind out max stats. And I'd be grinding. I once spent six hours re-rolling my character stats in Baldur's Gate, for example.

I think it was Temple of Elemental Evil where, if you rerolled exactly 9999 times, it gave you natural 18s in everything. And if you rolled to 10000, it gave you natural 3s. =P

What really bugs me are the instant death endings, especially when it's of the 'Oh, you're an incredible fighter, but you made a stupid mistake and die. Start over!' persuasion.

Three weeks or so, more a resuscitation than a necro.  I've decided to give this a real try.  On the second book now and so far the last point is making me want to quit.  It's one thing in a regular CYOA, but in a game with a full ruleset and stuff all these "ha ha you die start over" endings are bullshit.

One particularly frustrating one in the second book is where you have to roll the dice and if you get a 0 you straight up fucking die.
Shoes...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Three weeks or so, more a resuscitation than a necro.  I've decided to give this a real try.  On the second book now and so far the last point is making me want to quit.  It's one thing in a regular CYOA, but in a game with a full ruleset and stuff all these "ha ha you die start over" endings are bullshit.

One particularly frustrating one in the second book is where you have to roll the dice and if you get a 0 you straight up fucking die.

Oh yeah, I remember that one... I was playing/reading on the DS at the time and ended up redoing that section over and over because I thought something cool would happen with a 0. Nope. You go splut. =P
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf & Project Aon: SeventhSense 1.16.1 update - Books 1-16 playable!
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2014, 04:16:35 pm »

Bumping this not only to put the most recent Seventh Sense information up but also...

There's a Lone Wolf HD Remastered game available on Steam. A sort of alternate Lone Wolf adventure penned by Joe Dever, I'm not sure what original game it remastered. But the reviews are largely positive, and it's on sale, so I think I'm gonna dive in!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/279440/

It's a mash up of good ol' text reading, a reworked rules system for LW that's a blend of the original's design and today's video game mechanics. Combat is a turn-based w/ QTE sort of affair. Text choices and battle play off each other in some limited instances. Overall it looks pretty nice, although it's not super recognizable as LW. Still, I got excited enough I decided I had to buy it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:43:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2014, 04:22:06 pm »

I got to like...  I dunno how many books.  I was on the second desert place book when I reformatted my computer and forgot to back it up.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2014, 04:28:38 pm »

I just finished up Legacy of Vashna a few months ago. That was after playing the whole series over the course of a week or two. They've introduced a lot of options for toning down some of the important combats. I basically had to cheat through several fights where I was at like -10 combat score. The odds of winning some of those fights legitly are nearly infinitesimal. With the combat tweaks, they're slightly more doable but only just.

The game actually seems a lot harder in Books 13+, but I guess that's because it's enforcing all the rules and cheating takes time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:44:16 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:19 pm »

I never actually had trouble with fights past like book 2.  There were a couple where I lost Sommerswerd or something but for the most part once I had it and some good traits and such I could blow through every fight without a scratch.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2014, 04:51:32 pm »

Like I said, that's true for pretty much all fights in the game. But there's maybe....4 or 5 fights in the whole series where you (depending on restrictive you set the rules) are grossly outmatched without maxed out weapon skills, the good combat skill items, psychic defenses and psychic attack (if they can even be hurt by them.)

Castle Death, Cauldron of Fear and Prisoners of Time definitely have one of those fights a piece. Some are mitigated by story items or circumstances. But mostly they're just straight up and down CS checks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:38:28 pm by nenjin »

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2014, 01:26:28 pm »

Oh my god how did I not know this existed.  I have religiously collected anything from Joe Dever since I was little. 

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2014, 02:02:26 pm »

hoot!  i actually started writing a program for this years ago, then that bastard, universe, took me on a wild ride to places i never expected and the project ended up abandoned.

i'm happy to see someone made a decent program for this great book series.  i still have most of them (the actual books!) somewhere in storage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2014, 02:36:03 pm »

Re: The Remastered Lone Wolf HD game.

It's......ok.

Even though Dever wrote the story, it definitely is not what you'd find in the Lone Wolf books. In the books, the story covers a pretty large geographic area. In sort of movie style you globe trot, the Darklords are always on your heels, there's betrayers everywhere....

In the game, the story is much more localized. You're going out to investigate some Giak stuff in your Freylund. Each chapter is an area you run around and do stories in.

Unlike the LW books, you can see the story paths in the video game and can retread other areas you passed up, whereas there's usually no going back in LW stories.

Unfortunately, the QTE combat takes up the vast majority of game time, and there's not a ton of variety. 4 hours played and I've seen Giaks and Drakkarim, of two or three varieties (foot soldier, leader, champion.) There's no fights with bandits, desperate crazed village folk or encounters with the panoply of monsters in the LW universe. Obviously because someone had to create an animate these things. I know there's more encounters later on, but there's been a lot of repetition in the 1st/2nd chapters of the game.

The QTE combat is actually fairly tough. Since your dodge rating effects how often you can QTE dodge many attacks, really tough fights sort of come down to randomness (whether the enemies hit you with a light attack or heavy attack, whether they crit, whether they use other unavoidable abilities like bombs, whether they just decide to taunt you, whether you trigger a QTE dodge.)

You have several powerful abilities, each with a cooldown, and each which uses resources like Endurance or Kai Power to activate. Potions that refill these pools are also on lengthy cooldowns. So combat against a fight that's actually tough is in large part luck, and a good portion timing and choosing when and what to use. Blow all your cooldowns and potions early in the fight, and chances are you will be caught defeneless as the fight is nearing its end and you'll probably lose. Enemies hit you for between 1/5th and 1/3rd of your life per hit, and bosses hit like freight trains. So while combat is repetitious, you do have to pay attention.

The rules system is barely derived from the LW books. You pick a focus (strength, cunning, intelligence) which basically becomes on of your available story actions. Then you pick 4 disciplines (drawn from the books), which are both story options AND yield abilities in combat. As you do stuff in stories, the game tracks what choices you make, and at predetermined points in the story it will total these up and increase your stats according to what you did, kinda like Morrowind. So if you pick a lot of intelligence options you'll see a hefty raise in your intelligence, ie. Kai Power pool and ability damage. When you pick some story options, more QTE events will pop up to determine whether you succeeded or failed; substituting themselves for the die roll. What his basically means is, if you have the ability, you're going to succeed.

There's lots of gear and consumables and picks ups to earn through combat or the occasional story choice, and you can upgrade armor and weapons using these materials. However it all feels very video game-y. Anything you loot as a purpose in game or in combat; any item that relates to questing doesn't actually take inventory space. So unlike the books where you might find useless items or items with questionable purposes, here, it's all very cut and dry.

The music is nice, the art is slick and slightly animated. The UI animations are complete overkill though. Way too many of them. The combat looks OK if a little barren. My biggest two gripes are a) Lone Wolf doesn't have the Kai green cloak, and b) he has made some...questionable facial hair choices, like the arrow-shaped mutton chops.

All in all it's not bad, but I don't know if it's worth the $13 I paid, other than the fact it has probably 8 to 10 solid hours of game play. The story simply isn't that engaging compared to the epic nature of the rest of the Lone Wolf books. The situation isn't desperate, the stakes aren't high, the danger is middling (so far), and the biggest key note character is someone I think Dever deliberately tried to write the opposite of how most characters interact with LW: she doesn't like you. She doesn't trust you. She belittles your heroic efforts to save her, her father and her worthless ass town. I respect the writing decision but if I'm going to spend this much time around a character, I should have a reason for liking them and this chick makes herself patently unlikable.

So if you're really jonesing for a real video game adaptation of Lone Wolf, this will do. But it's not Lone Wolf's finest hour, in my estimation.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:04:52 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8