Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Lone Wolf & Project Aon: SeventhSense 1.16.1 update - Books 1-16 playable!  (Read 19874 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf & Project Aon
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »

Playing through books 1-5, I haven't been able to unlock more than the first five Kai masteries they give you in the beginning. IE, my character still can't levitate shit with his mind. >:l

Is this a bug?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf & Project Aon
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:17 am »

Read the text at the start of the book more carefully. :) There's generally a line 'if you have played through books 1-4, you can choose an additional discipline for each book' or so.

The book companion isn't automated at all, it just takes the place of the pad of notepaper you'd be using otherwise.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf & Project Aon: SeventhSense 1.12.3 update - Books 1-12 playable!
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2012, 06:02:42 am »

All the books of the Magnakai saga are now available for download for SeventhSense! You can enjoy the complete tale of Lone Wolf's rise to Lord and Master of the Kai.

I hope Dave has still got the spirit to continue on with the Grandmaster series, because Lone Wolf just gets crazier from this point on.

Check link in the OP for the download page.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:31:05 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2012, 07:06:58 am »

Oh snap. I remember these. I had a copy of The Dungeons of Torgar way back when. And a friend had a couple of the Way of the Tiger gamebooks. My favorite was one was about a big battle. The first half or so involved infiltrating the enemy camp and doing various things to weaken their army. Then you had to come back and negotiate with the various ally factions and then decide how you were going to deploy your forces and your plan of attack. Based on all that, there were like 15 different "maps" of the battlefield you could wind up with before the actual battle took place. I thought that was so freakin' cool.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2012, 07:33:53 am »

Oh God.

I remember this! I picked up The Plague Lords of Ruel at some charity event and played it countless times through, and my life was almost ruined when I saw they were no longer in print.
Those Project Aon fellas are amazing for doing this. I love them. I would father their... I'd best go now.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2012, 08:56:16 am »

Another Kai comes home  :)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.

I just started playing around with this, having never heard of the books before.

Book 1 was fun. Got through it pretty well I think. Book two I'm getting a bit annoyed. So far I've had 5 events that just said "you die." That one where the mast falls on you got me 4 times in a row before I finally got past it because the program kept rolling a 0.

I hope all the other books aren't like this. Is book 2 bad for that kinda thing? Do I need to go back to book 1 now and set the game to allow me to save/load at will so I can save my game every time it presents a random number just in case it's "You die."?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are plenty of "don't roll a 1" moments in the next ~24 books. If you're not prepared for that, I'd recommend changing the campaign rules now rather than continuing on. There are also plenty of 50% chances to get boned as well.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ohhhh, there are more of these?!

I've been following the DS releases, which currently only go up to five, without ever noticing that they're available elsewhere.

Oh happy day!... Not getting sleep tonight! =)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile

Argh. Usually rolling 0 is great for combat, but in a few places it can suck. "You die" is a fairly common outcome if you make the wrong choices, which sometimes are only obvious afterward. Rolls, on the other hand, usually weight heavily towards not dying. Actual player choices, though, can often be an even shot like turn left -> You die and turn right -> You live.

I still think the default save settings are reasonable. Each book isn't that long, and it sounds like your luck was simply atrocious. In Book 3, I can remember one more instance of a leap that everyone is forced to do. Hunting makes it easier, but you'll still have a 1 in 10 chance of outright dying.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.

Finally made it through book 2 after about 15 deaths due to random rolls, hah. That last run where I finally made it all the way through it was like I was charmed. I never lost more than a couple health points and healed them right back. Many of the fights were: roll 0, enemies die.

I seem to get a lot of 9s and 0s, and sadly several of the 0s in those random rolls lead to "you die" moments. That single point where if you roll 0 you die I died on about 10 times, that was the primary source of my doom. Luckily it's fairly early in the book.

One of my deaths was on attempt 9 right near the end because I
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I got lucky on my character generation though, was doing it by the book and got a 9 and an 8 then rolled sword for my weapon specialization, then managed to get a sword pretty early and have managed to keep a sword around for almost all the fights in both book 1 and 2.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile

Weapon Specialization in Sword is rather overpowered, since you now have the Sommerswerd. Under the By the Book setting, it's hard to lose a battle with that and the appropriate specialization. I usually do Prodigy, which brings the sommerswerd bonus down to +1 except in special circumstances.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was wondering about the 'Prodigy' setting-- is it supposed to mean that you are a prodigy [easy difficulty], or that you have to be a prodigy to make it through [hard difficulty]?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile

It's maybe a little easier, actually, but not terribly easy. Overall, it's just more balanced.

It automatically tops out the two combat stats when you roll your character, which means you're up 4 points on average, but it reins in the bonuses of the Sommerswerd so that you miss 7 points in most battles after book II. It's a trade off that eliminates the tedious temptation to grind out max stats. And I'd be grinding. I once spent six hours re-rolling my character stats in Baldur's Gate, for example.

The real nightmare mode is hardcore with 10/20 stats, no deaths or restarts. Currently, no one has completed all 12 books on these rigorous settings.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile

It's maybe a little easier, actually, but not terribly easy. Overall, it's just more balanced.

On second thought, there's a real killer of a combat at the end of Book 10. Without the assumption of the Sommerswerd's +8 CS, things become much tighter. My first try ended in the first combat turn with an autokill. Quite annoying when you're committed to only saving at the beginnings.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8