Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Lone Wolf & Project Aon: SeventhSense 1.16.1 update - Books 1-16 playable!  (Read 19882 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf & Project Aon
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2010, 11:58:59 pm »

It tends toward the cheesy and melodramatic, but yeah, overall it's a rousing tale. The art goes a long way toward giving it a mature theme too. (Fun fact, some of the illustrators did old school 40k and Warhammer fantasy art, pretty much the grittiest game art out there.)

Maybe that's why it immediately caught my eye as a kid. Among all the CYOA, young reader books out there, Lone Wolf screamed "this isn't a kid's book." I started with Book 6, "KINGDOMS OF TERROR!" and the cover art was Lone Wolf holding what looked like a corpse in the middle of a smoking battlefield.

Definitely not what the other kids were reading, that's for sure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2010, 08:18:52 am »

Quote from: Dave @ projectaon.org
Tonight I added a new feature where the game will allow you to restart from any book available, not just one of the three options (same book, beginning of series, or book 1) it did before.

As part of that minor change, I thought I'd add a major one, and incorporated long-term campaign saving/loading, which just means that if you die, or decide you'd like to restart, using saved campaign data, you can start back earlier than just the book you are on.

It's very useful for retrying for awards in "Prodigy" mode - e.g. you finish book 3, but didn't earn the award(s) you wanted to... You only find out about it as you start book 4, where a campaign save point is automatically generated. In the old system, if you wanted to restore from saved campaign data, it would only let you restart book 4 (since that's where you are!). However, with the new system, you'd be able to restore back to the beginning of book 3, with all the same gear, etc. that you had when you started it the first time.
(You could also choose to go back to the beginning of book 2; basically, any book where you started having completed the previous book).

Of course, you'll only be able to use this feature with a new campaign started in the Magnakai release, since the Kai version simply tossed out the old saves...

P.S. this is one of the very last features I wanted to add, besides a few cosmetic tweaks, before the next release... (hint hint)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2010, 04:11:40 pm »

On another forum I post on they've only recently finished a forum play through of the entire Lone Wolf series- including all the ones without Lone Wolf. It was pretty good fun, and we're now moving on to another Denver series.

SeventhSense certainly looks interesting- it's been a long time since we did the early books in the series so I might try that out next time I feel like playing a CYOA.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2010, 10:23:23 am »

Quote from: Dave@Project Aon
No - I never promise release dates. That being said, I literally have just a couple of minor tweaks, and one minor bug to squash, and it's ready.

It will just be books 1-6, but 7-12 should come WAY faster, since all of the internal code will be in place. It will just be a matter of converting the books. (And I've said all along - that's the easy part!)

Looks like 7 - 12 will be coming piecemeal. :( But at least the start of the Magnakai is near.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2010, 10:51:27 am »

If you like these type of gamebook games you should try out Star Saga series:

http://www.squakenet.com/computer_games/8219/Star-Saga:-One---Beyond-the-Boundary/download.html

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2010, 09:31:38 am »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2010, 10:25:32 am »

Hurrah?
I prefer Huzzah!, myself.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf & Project Aon - Book 8 for Seventh Sense is out
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2011, 01:09:41 pm »

http://projectaon.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=seventhsense&action=display&thread=1554

It only took close to a year, but you can now download and play Book 8 through SeventhSense.

At this rate, he'll be through the end of the series by 2039. :P

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »

I just got through book 1 without ever finding my proficient weapon lol.  My advice is to take healing.  I managed to kill the thing attacking the _____ without getting hurt at all which was pretty dang awesome given it had 20 cs and 30 ed.

Book 2 a _____ eats me in the ____.

Edited for mystery.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:53:44 pm by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »

Edited for maximum mystery.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:45:13 pm by nenjin »

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »

I like this series, but I hate unavoidable instadeath.  There are many areas in the series that you are forced to go through (no alternative routes) that result in 10% instadeath on a die roll.

Someone calculated it and said that there was at best a 59% chance of survival the series assuming Lone Wolf was played optimally.  And that's avoiding the OPTIONAL instadeath areas!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2011, 07:00:01 pm »

FLAPP is also hella fun along the same lines.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

FLAPP is also hella fun along the same lines.
+1

Too bad about the lack of the last 6 books
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2011, 03:05:15 pm »

Wow, so Dave put out books 9 AND 10 in short order. Go get em!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8