Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Lone Wolf & Project Aon: SeventhSense 1.16.1 update - Books 1-16 playable!  (Read 19878 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Wolf & Project Aon
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 07:59:11 pm »

This is pretty awesome. The whole
Spoiler: book 2 (click to show/hide)
deal has the potential to doom a character without any real reason, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 08:40:34 pm »

It's the one "game play" objection I've had with the whole series. FWIW I don't recall Dever ever doing that again to the character.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:46:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 09:33:12 pm »

Tangentially related to this thread, here is an interview with the man himself, Joe Dever.

http://dorptv.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/rpc-2010-joe-dever-lone-wolf/

Totally unsurprised to learn Lone Wolf sprang from his own D&D campaigns. I like that he's a roleplayer who managed to deliver such a stream-lined game system in a way no one else ever had before.

And his favorite overall book he wrote was Shadows in the Sand. Again, not surprised. It's the only two part adventure book of the whole series, and it has some of the best random stuff happening as you play through.

A Lone Wolf movie....I love the series, but....I don't see that being very good. I might be surprised, but the story itself is pretty cheesy and hack n' slash, and simplistic in the end. I don't really want to see Lone Wolf cast as a real person.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:55:38 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 09:43:01 pm »

I'm really enjoying this series with Seventh Sense, I played through the first three books in one sitting today. I would keep playing but I am going out to lunch soon!

I wish I had found this when I was at school.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 09:48:12 pm »

Glad everyone is enjoying it!

And don't worry, the SeventhSense Magnakai is clllooooossssseeeee.....

Quote from: Dave
Thanks for your kind words, nenjin. I'm glad you enjoy it! The Magnakai release is just around the corner...

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 11:53:23 pm »

Book 5 also had the

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 12:01:02 am »

It also has:

(Major spoiler)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:13:44 am by nenjin »

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 05:02:54 am »

I just finished book 5 I believe, Shadow on the Sands maybe? I was just absorbed in reading it that I kind of forgot what book number I was on and the exact name  :-[

I'm looking forward to the next parts being available to play through Seventh Sense though!

Edit: How soon do you reckon the Magnakai series will be made playable?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:40:51 am by dbfuru »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 07:50:07 am »

I can't say with certainty, because Dave hasn't said, but....a week? Maybe a little more? Don't worry, I'll post it as soon as it's up. I wanna keep reading too, but I'm enjoying Seventh Sense so much I want to play through the next 6 with it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2010, 09:26:21 am »

I'm now playing the 5th book.

Will we ever get new Kai abilities?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:12 am »

Book 6. You basically get upgraded versions of all the abilities, plus one extra I think. (Nexus, which lets you resist the elements.)

You keep Mind Blast, but also get an active attack called Psi Surge, with gives you +4 CS at the cost of -2 EP every round of combat.

As you get additional Kai ranks in the Magnakai series, what each ability is capable of doing expands as well. (Also dependent on what Lore Circles you have completed.) Lore Circles are CS and EP bonuses you get for having certain combinations of disciplines. (Circle of Fire is Weaponskill, Huntsmastery and Pathmastery, iirc.)

Then in Book 13, you get another upgraded set of core abilities, plus Alchemy and Meta Magic. And abilities upgrade within the Grandmaster series as you gain more ranks too.

What's cool about the upgrades is that they all play into how Dever tells the story. Camouflage, instead of just being you being good at hiding in bushes and shadows, becomes full blown invisibility. And then it gets better by you being able to mask your body heat, scent, and eventually all sound. Huntsmastery eventually gives you telescopic vision, and other stuff I can't remember. Curing not only heals you, but you can start healing other people's diseases, purge your body of poisons, ect...

Like I said, by Book 20, you are literally a god.

While it's not hardcore RPG stuff, it still gives you the sense you're becoming better, and allows you to trivialize a lot of threats that a younger Lone Wolf would have had to confront. It also makes for more diverse stuff that Dever throws at you.

So you start seeing stuff like:

A Zornath, a vicious night hunter with preternatural senses, guards the only exit from the dungeon.

If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Invisibility, AND you've reached the rank of Guardian AND you've completed the Lore Circle of Spirit, turn to page 55.

If you don't not possess this discipline, the Lore Circle or the correct rank, turn to page 132 to battle the fearsome Zornath.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:22:00 am by nenjin »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:44 pm »

Spoiler: Book 5: Part 2 (click to show/hide)

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »

So is the entire Magnakai series going to be released all at once (7 books) for Seventh Sense, or are we going to get them one at a time?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »

I think all 6.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:44 pm »

I can't say why I like it so much, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. CYOA games I generally don't enjoy that much, I think the role-playing elements make it so much better.

I've been wanting to get into DnD recently, I've wanted to play it for years I just haven't found anyone willing to play with me, as my friends play WoW. I guess another reason I like it is it kind of gives you a snapshot of how a DnD campaign might be like. I love that you continue with your items and skills, that is another feature I really like.

When I first skimmed the OP I thought it might not have 'mature' themes like death and such, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and it actually turned out to be great and immersive! I'm 18 now, and most people around my age seem to have the notion that graphics>gameplay and story, so telling them that I was immersed by text and a few black and white illustrations is setting myself up to be flamed haha.

Anyway, I rambled on about random crap enough, looking forward to reading the next books!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8