Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Map Request: Tiny Island  (Read 3658 times)

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Map Request: Tiny Island
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 03:30:23 am »

Exactly. I dont want any visitors of any kind. Ever. The population cap isnt reliable, and I dont want10 pages of my unit list devoted to immigrants i crushed under a bridge. I also want to pave the entire island over with gold.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 01:35:05 pm »

Here's a 5x7 island. There might be smaller in the world, I didn't bother to look for long.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/boogey/5x7.rar

A few posts down is a nice island.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:29:09 pm by Boogeyman »

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »

That is a nice island. A bit bigger than id hoped for but its smaller than anything ive generated so far. Thanks Boogeyman.
What would happen if i channeled half of it into the ocean and abandoned?
Would i then be able to re-embark on it as a smaller sized embark?
You dont get to resize for a reclaim do you.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »

no, no resizing on reclaim. And that island, while nice, is still large. I was getting 20 fps right from the start. no way I'm playing a whole fort on that.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »

On the map that was posted a few weeks ago with the undersea volcano, I'm working on a pump stack to make the undersea volcano "erupt" and make my own obsidian island.  Almost had the pump stack ready too when a Draltha or Blind Cave Ogre or something got into it and broke a bunch of pumps and nearly started a tantrum spiral by killing the dwarves that were near it.  Also, there's the still the teensy problem of how to power 100 pumps on a map where the ocean is frozen...  (I have to start the eruption before I can turn temperature back on, otherwise the water falling in the volcano will slow my FPS to nothing and plug up the volcano.)

Anyhow the build-your-own approach still requires a tiny strip of land be present at the corner of the map to begin the embark, so it's not really isolated.  I'd love to see a world-gen parameter in future versions like "Generate tiny islands? (Yes/No)".  Instead of jiggering around with elevation change rate to try to make tiny islands appear, it would be awesome if a step of world gen actually made these islands explicitly, like through actually making a volcanic island before putting trees and animals on it.  Especially once Toady gets around to adding boats and letting you control/watch your wagon during embark.  Can you imagine how awesome it'd be if your wagon was really a boat and you could get shipwrecked on one of these islands during an embark?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:39:36 pm »

There is a slightly smaller island in the northwestern chunk of islands. Slightly smaller but still slightly too big.
It is made of dolomite and limestone with pockets of magnetite and coal veins visible from the ocean edges however.
All that steel and nobody to kill.

I still havent checked the southwestern chunk but maybe theres something there.
For now, I sleep.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

Also, pop cap isn't broke. Just set [POPULATION_CAP:0] and (optionally) [BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0] in init.txt. You'll still get two small migrant waves in the first summer and autumn (rarely enough to get you to a population of 20), but then they'll stop.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 03:02:34 pm »

dwarven hell.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 03:30:16 pm »

dwarven hell.

You could channel around an elven civilization, all the way to the ocean, and build a bridge across that ocean, so no one can get to you but Elves. Then you'd have someone to kill.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 09:18:55 am »

Still generating maps. Screwing around with perfect world trying make tiny islands.
Progress is being made. Smallest island ive generated so far is a 4x7 embark including all the surrounding water.
Almost small enough.
Still working at it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 09:38:47 am »

6x6 = 36 embark tiles
4x7 = 28 embark tiles.

That island should be more than good enough.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 11:37:01 am »

Care to share the 4x7? I'm itching for an island fort too now.

Yuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 12:01:36 pm »

I ditched the 4x7 in favor of a 5x6 i ended up embarking on. More tiles but less oblong.
The world gen is stupid long and wont fit. I can upload the region, but to where?  Idk.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 12:04:23 pm »

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 12:28:25 pm »

Yay. Found my own 5x6 piece of heaven. It's pretty sweet: nice vegation, there's sand and nice stone layers later on.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/boogey/Island%205x6.rar
Pages: 1 [2] 3