Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Anal Rituals  (Read 20352 times)

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anal Rituals
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 06:07:26 am »

I restrict traffic for every sapling and unrestrict it when it grows.  I limit traffic on wild plants near my fort to conserve every rat weed I can.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 06:18:19 am »

I have to give every dwarf a new name that has to do with their profession (or the profession I want them to have).  Sometimes this makes me really stretch my vocabulary. ;)  My husband thinks I'm crazy to do it that way, but there is a method to the madness.

Also, I restart the game whenever a child dies.  Might be why I never get very far... o_O

I'm sure there's other things, but I can't remember them right now; it's 3:24 am for me. ;)

Oooo, I just thought of another one.  I only chop down a tree if there's another tree touching it.

Lady, you are messed up.
Why didn't I meet you before you got married?

I jest, I jest!

Heh.  At least you acknowledged that I could be a lady and not just a man, since we all know there are no women on the internet. ;)  :-*
Well you said Husband, and there are less gays playing DF than there are women... I hope...

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:10 am »

I have to give every dwarf a new name that has to do with their profession (or the profession I want them to have).  Sometimes this makes me really stretch my vocabulary. ;)  My husband thinks I'm crazy to do it that way, but there is a method to the madness.

Also, I restart the game whenever a child dies.  Might be why I never get very far... o_O

I'm sure there's other things, but I can't remember them right now; it's 3:24 am for me. ;)

Oooo, I just thought of another one.  I only chop down a tree if there's another tree touching it.

Lady, you are messed up.

I jest, I jest!

Heh.  At least you acknowledged that I could be a lady and not just a man, since we all know there are no women on the internet. ;)  :-*
Well you said Husband, and there are less gays playing DF than there are women... I hope...

Damn!  Now I'm curious about that demographical questions.  Are there more women or gays playing?  It doesn't matter to me one way or another, but I like statistics.

And yes, I did say husband, but some people are funny that way.  I've been told many times that I'm not a woman online unless I show my breasts to prove it.  But that's not really any proof either since it's not too hard to find a picture of other people's breasts online.

Anyhow, that's rather off topic now.

Yes, I am crazy.  It's almost certifiable.
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 06:31:51 am »

It's also not impossible for a man to grow a rather spectacular set of breasts.

But yes, I'd be interested in the demographics as well. I thought of it as more of a guy's game, but now I'm not so sure. Advanced Dollhouses & Deathtraps, plenty of fun for boys and girls (of either sex).

Anyway, no real rituals for me, only a design quirk: I love pressurised water but hate pumps, hence little of my fort proper is above the nearest inexhaustible water source.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 06:41:09 am »

I color-code my workshops and the areas upon which they are built. Needless to say, I use a fair amount of cobaltite.

Also, OP: Roads take less time to build and remove than floors and accomplish the same effect..
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:44:06 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 06:51:49 am »

It's also not impossible for a man to grow a rather spectacular set of breasts.

But yes, I'd be interested in the demographics as well. I thought of it as more of a guy's game, but now I'm not so sure. Advanced Dollhouses & Deathtraps, plenty of fun for boys and girls (of either sex).

Well, I don't cont myself as a stereotypical woman, since the stereotype seems to be that women aren't gamers.  But I've been heavily into video games for as long as I can remember.  I was five when we got our first computer, the classic Commodore 64.  One of the reasons I loved DF so much was that the graphics (with tileset) look so much like the Ultima 5 game I loved so much.  In fact, I want to build some forts based on the castles in that game...

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 06:57:57 am »

I color-code my workshops and the areas upon which they are built. Needless to say, I use a fair amount of cobaltite.

I also do this. All permanent workshops have to be built out of the appropriate colour materials or I get really twitchy. Damn you Toady! Damn you for making craftsdwarfs blue!
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 07:00:05 am »

Also, OP: Roads take less time to build and remove than floors and accomplish the same effect..

Build roads inside?  Ludicrous.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 07:03:16 am »

Lady, you are messed up.

I jest, I jest!

Damn!  Now I'm curious about that demographical questions.  Are there more women or gays playing?  It doesn't matter to me one way or another, but I like statistics.

I personally know of two gay (former) players and there are several women. There's more socializing in the lower forums, so we end up knowing about each other.

On topic: back in 40d, I'd give Champions nicknames according to their profession, all prefixed with "Goblin-".

So the Champion Wrestler became "Goblinbreaker", the Champion Swordsman became "Goblinhewer", and so on.

It began to get ridiculous when I got more champions. There are very few synonyms for "Impaler".
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:37 am »

My experience has been the opposite with regards to roads and floors. Roads take for absolute ever to build, but floors not so much. Especially if you use DwarfTherapist and temporarily enable the masonry labor on all of your haulers when constructing large swaths of floor tiles. Last fortress it took four architects three in-game years to pave roads on my whole cistern, while it took less than a season to do the same during this fortress (although the cistern was much smaller, probably about a quarter of the size -- I really overdid it last time).

Anyways, back on topic... I usually pick a stone that I like and I have a large quantity of, and then designate every other non-ore stone for mass dumping. Keeps my haulers busy until I get all my industries going. In this fort it is obsidian (multiple obsidian layers touching the surface; was glorious) but in the past it's been marble and quartzite.

I design almost my entire fort before I unpause the game after embarking. Then I restrict access by undesignating key parts of the fort so my miners carve out important areas first.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 11:00:54 am »

Lady, you are messed up.

I jest, I jest!

And yes, I did say husband, but some people are funny that way.  I've been told many times that I'm not a woman online unless I show my breasts to prove it.  But that's not really any proof either since it's not too hard to find a picture of other people's breasts online.

Anyhow, that's rather off topic now.

Yes, I am crazy.  It's almost certifiable.
Though I think if you do manage to prove the ownership of those chesticles, everyone will not only be astonished, but quite amuzed.

Also on topic: I use the same style of areas everytime, not necessarily the same layout, but eveything looks the same, and usually i contain my entire fortress on the same Z-level, though that can vary.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:51 am »

Oh, that does remind me of one...

I have to give all my dwarves nicknames as soon as they arrive.  Every migrant wave, I stop the game, look at their personalities and preferences, and try to come up with one... I start out by giving them names that reflect personalities, ("Sunny" was my expedition leader/mayor, because she was optimistic and friendly), but then as all the personalities start looking the same, I start naming them after preferences, or whatever first catches my eye (one of my best military dwarves was "Silverboots"... because she likes silver and high boots.)

Of course, I do have a reason for it - it's the only way to tell the dwarves apart!  It's so much easier to remember "Mayor Sunny" than "Dumat Morulrul"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 11:03:32 am »

Yes, especially since dwarves can share first names.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 11:07:42 am »

Oh, that does remind me of one...

I have to give all my dwarves nicknames as soon as they arrive.  Every migrant wave, I stop the game, look at their personalities and preferences, and try to come up with one... I start out by giving them names that reflect personalities, ("Sunny" was my expedition leader/mayor, because she was optimistic and friendly), but then as all the personalities start looking the same, I start naming them after preferences, or whatever first catches my eye (one of my best military dwarves was "Silverboots"... because she likes silver and high boots.)

Of course, I do have a reason for it - it's the only way to tell the dwarves apart!  It's so much easier to remember "Mayor Sunny" than "Dumat Morulrul"

I name mine for a couple reasons.
1) I can tell the difference between 'established' dwarves and migrants more easily.  This lets me pan through the new arrivals and decide what to do with them.
2) Since I use their preferred function as their name, I can keep track of who does what, even if their profession name is different.
3) As you said, it's easier to distinguish them that way.

If someone is going crazy, and thus is always stated as having 'no job' I change their profession to 'Crazy' or 'Mad' or something along those lines, just so I'm not always zooming on them to figure out what's wrong. ;)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 11:20:39 am »

Sort of along these lines.  At first I just dig out a big hole for the dwarves to hide in.

But once I get my fortress more or less established, I always, always, always have:

A really large, like at least 20x20 tiles, food storage area.  Off one side of the storage are four rooms, 3x3, lined up next to each other connected to each other with doors and also each one connected to the food storage.  These rooms contain: a still, kitchen, fishery and butchery.  I put doors on them all to keep any miasma contained from rotting food.  Opposite side of the food opens to a hallway and on the other side of the hallway is the legendary dining room.

Pretty much everything else in the fort varies, but I will always have a structure that looks like this somewhere.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7