Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Float plane threatens Obama! F-15s authorized to knock out 911 service!  (Read 2323 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/100921834.html

Mostly kidding.  But I heard the sonic booms (I heard two, really) myself, so I figured I'd post here just for the sake of fun :)

edit: originally heard the float plane was from Canada, but it was really from eastern washington.  There's a joke in there somewhere...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:57:19 am by Euld »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Float plane threatens Obama! F-15s authorized to knock out 911 service!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:31 am »

My neurologist insists 9/11 was allowed to happen because the fighters sent to intercept were only at 30% throttle. Its hard to explain trans-sonic cruise speeds to a conspiracy nut.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:55:21 am »

And that's the guy whose job it is to work on your brain?

Find a different neurologist- stat!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:10:05 am »

Because he is clearly working it at 30% throttle.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:28 am »

Oh snap. I saw what you did there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:12:10 am »

Sadly, he is the only competant neurologist I've met so far in Kentucky. Something about being a Fellow at the Harvard Institute of Neurology gets you a free ride to beleive any stupid crap you come up with so long as you remain a goddamn genius in your field. Like how Noam Chomsky is some brilliant linguist, but a retarded overacademic trainwreck when he talks politics.

Anyway he looked at MRI scans of my brain that had been on five for five years, squinted, and said "You have a brain scratch. Why was that not in your record? Don't these people LOOK AT THEIR MRI'S?!" Which won my trust.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:33:52 am »

A brain scratch? How do you scratch your brain?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:37:13 am »

It was itchy  :P

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:57:15 am »

My neurologist insists 9/11 was allowed to happen because the fighters sent to intercept were only at 30% throttle. Its hard to explain trans-sonic cruise speeds to a conspiracy nut.
Not what is saying wikipedia. I guess you choose a republican neurologist.

The two F-15 alert aircraft at Otis Air National Guard Base in Falmouth, Massachusetts  were ordered to battle stations (seated in their aircraft, engines not yet started). At 8:46, just at the time the first tower was hit, Nash and Duffy were ordered to scramble (an order that begins with engine start-up, a process that takes about five minutes), and radar confirmed they were airborne by 8:53.[17] By that time, however, the World Trade Center's North Tower had already been hit.[18][19][20][21][22][23][24]

At that time, NEADS personnel were still trying to pinpoint the location of Flight 11, but were unable. Without having a specific target located, military commanders were uncertain where to send the fighters.[5] Boston Center controllers were still tracking Flight 11 as a primary target but were unable to communicate its location to NEADS by phone.[4] Colin Scoggins, the military liaison at the FAA’s Boston Center, later said "I was giving NEADS accurate location information on at least 5 instances where AA11 was yet they could never find them. … I originally gave them an F/R/D, which is a fixed radial distance from a known location; they could not identify the target. They requested latitudes/longitudes, which I gave them; they still could not identify AA11. I gave them 20 south of Albany heading south at a high rate of speed, 600 knots, then another call at 50 south of Albany.”[25]

After the news of an aircraft hitting the World Trade Center, no decision was made to alter the course of the F-15s of the 102nd Fighter Wing.[5][15] A decision was made to send the Otis fighters south of Long Island rather than to just north of New York City, as originally ordered by Maj. Nasypany of NEADS.[5]

One of the pilots, Lieutenant Colonel Timothy Duffy, would later state he had already heard about the suspected hijacking (attributed to a phone call from the FAA’s Boston Center) as he was supervising training exercises at Otis ANG base.[17] Claiming to have a "bad feeling about the suspected hijacking", he and his wingman, Major Daniel Nash, decided to use their F-15’s afterburners.[15]
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 03:51:17 pm »

Several calls from worried residents across the region, from Olympia to Edmonds, flooded emergency dispatchers and the KOMO newsroom reporting two distinct explosions that rattled windows and shook homes around 1:50 p.m.
"Hey, I heard an explosion, let me call 911!"

People who chose to do this flooded the call centers of the dispatch line, and took down critical emergency response service. For an entire Hour.

Pierce County Det. Ed Troyer said the incident took down 911 service across parts of Pierce County for about an hour as dispatch centers were flooded with calls, but service was restored just before 3 p.m.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a reason to call for an EMERGENCY RESPONSE for a sound you have heard that you don't even know where it came from, and if you did know where it came from, well a good old fashoned slapping is warranted for calling 911 because a fighter jet flew over your house. Even if it had hostile intent, what would it do?
"Hey, Scramble the Firefighting planes, we got incoming aircraft! Quick, dump water on them!"

Maybe we can have a police helicopter glare threateningly at them through their infrared cameras.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 04:12:08 pm »

No man, if you point your cop-laser at a jet it'll think it's a targeting laser and shoot you with a missile.

Anyway, I can see people calling 911, I mean the President is in town and you hear two huge explosions, but powering down the whole system is pretty crazy.
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:27:48 pm »

I think a lot of people find it inconceivable that the military could be so criminally incompetent as to not manage to scramble fighter jets in time to intercept the (comparatively) lumbering commercial jets. So they instead go the opposite way, assuming the entire command structure to be so unified, disciplined, and controlled as to execute a grand conspiracy, without a single person in it leaking the plans, and apparently coordinated through telepathy so no one else could possibly overhear and leak it.

Because, you know, magical superpowers are much more believable than gross incompetence... :-\
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »

Or we could assume it to be a single fuck-up and then we wouldn't have to look like fools for going too far in either direction.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »

Biggest, most die-hard Democrat I ever met, since you bring politics into this so needlessly as a cheap jab at me. No, the air-speed velocity of an unladen F-15 (C, not E) is Mach 2.5, or about 1,800 mph, which a conspiracy nut would ballpark the air speed of 600 mph as 1/3rd throttle. Of course that's retarded conspiracy nut math, so go ahead and pick straws by making some ridiculously pointless discussion about knots not being miles or Mach 2.5 actually being some odd number or my percentages being off. Really, go ahead. Its about as meaningful as as quoting Wikipedia to refute a conspiracy nut while casting him as a member of my political party so you can browbeat.

Also Jackrabbit; voice of reason.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 06:55:48 pm »

You silly man, Nikov is right. The most common proponents of the "9/11 was allowed to happen so that we could enter a war with Iraq" are crazy Democrats.

If the President back then had been a Democrat, probably the proponents would have been crazy Republicans.

The point is, there are very many crazy people in this world.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: [1] 2