Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the best Forgotten Beast you've ever seen?  (Read 8468 times)

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best Forgotten Beast you've ever seen?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 12:42:08 pm »

Not mine, but:
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

It's just SO PERFECT

OMFG! It's the embodiment of all Dwarven Evil! A flying titan-carp capable of attacking five dwarves at once and freezing them to death!

-DB
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 12:47:35 pm »

Not mine, but:
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

It's just SO PERFECT

OMFG! It's the embodiment of all Dwarven Evil! A flying titan-carp capable of attacking five dwarves at once and freezing them to death!

-DB

Actually I think it'd hurt itself. "Treacherous teeth", afterall.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:17 am »

Had to post this one:

A great six-legged quadruped composed of snow.  It undulates rhythmically.

Six-legs on a quadruped? It's a paradoxical snowman!

murhapuro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 02:56:47 am »

Not mine, but:

It's just SO PERFECT

-DB

IÄ! IÄ! USTXU FTAGN!

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:57:16 pm »

Not mine, but:

It's just SO PERFECT

-DB

Actually, I think it also very amusing that it is associated with boats and murder. If only it was an elephant.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 02:30:54 pm »

Not mine, but:

It's just SO PERFECT

-DB

Actually, I think it also very amusing that it is associated with boats and murder. If only it was an elephant.
Glad I'm not the only one who spotted that.

It's almost too perfect.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »

Not mine, but:
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder(ed).

It's just SO PERFECT

My god...What has Toady DONE!?

I definitely did not catch it first BTW.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 04:30:33 pm »

Picks are the best way to kill  FBs. While twenty armed and trained dwarves were hacking away at a snail forgotten beast, a passing miner swung at its head and struck brain, killing it instantly.

I haven't tested this yet, but my impression is that with all the combat changes, you are hard pressed to kill massive beasts with weapons that do not penetrate very deeply. Even if your sword, axe or mace has no problem injuring the beast, you mostly end up just cutting/bruising the outer layers of skin, armor and fat. You can de-limb them and reduce their combat effectiveness  in this manner, but it seems very hard to finish them off.

I think spears and mining picks are generally more likely to be effective in terms of actual kills, as they are the only weapons that can reach far enough into the things to hit internal organs. Perhaps high-mass crossbow bolts such as bronze or iron?

Anyway, for these reasons I now have my squad members with different weapon types to make sure I have something on hand that'll do the job.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »

I've only seen one forgotten beast so far. It was a three-eyed mite with a waxy shell. It smashed my underground farm, killed my farmer, 3 dogs, a cat, a donkey, and a baby. My militia commander starting bumping it with his shield to no avail, until a wrestler came and tore up easily with his bare hands...then I had too much fun with two goblin ambushes and reloaded before the FB only losing a weak macedwarf.

EDIT: oh, and the best part is that's it's name was Malu Insectsmall.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:27:45 am by Ullallulloo »

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 01:34:11 am »

Axes are very good against smaller targets. Often the first attack is instantly fatal, or at the very least incapacitates the opponent while he bleeds.

I need to test spears more.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 07:02:52 am »

I got a enormous scaly shrimp wandering around my third layer cavern somewhere.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:39 am »

Found a very, very odd FB yesterday. It was a blob made of snow, and the only other body part it had was a stubby tail...

The thing moved faster than any creature has a right to, no matter what it is made out of - it would move about 10 steps for every one my dwarves took, and it slammed one of my miners to death almost instantly.  >:(

But this particular terror was put down by a single wooden crossbow bolt. It just exploded into snowflakes and left a puddle of water on the floor.   ???

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:09 pm »

Not mine, but:

It's just SO PERFECT

-DB

Glad I'm not the only one who spotted that.

It's almost too perfect.

It is too perfect. I don't think raped is a word in the Dwarven vocabulary. That, and well, it's just too perfect.

I haven't played a fortress for long enough to get a forgotten beast. I'm trying my hardest to remedy that, though!
Actually I recall someone saying they had a fortress named Prisonrape.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 12:35:44 pm »

Keep in mind that there appear to be entire sections of the various languages that aren't enabled by default, but which can be if you edit the entity_defaults.txt file, & judging by the tags those are the bits most likely to be considered offensive by someone.

Edit: added the word "Edit" in 2 locations. ;p

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:53 pm »

today i just had a giant scorpian with 2 stingers and wings and it shot fireballs and was made of crystal glass and to top that off i had no weapons :-/
Pages: 1 [2] 3