Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's the best Forgotten Beast you've ever seen?  (Read 8458 times)

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the best Forgotten Beast you've ever seen?
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:44:22 pm »

I've had a dog and a steam forgotten beast who have been dueling for the past two years. The forgotten beast has broken most of its body parts from colliding into walls and whatnot. The dog has bruised its upper body.

Other megabeasts welcomed too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:15:30 am by Gnauga »

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best Forgotten Beast you've ever seen?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »

three eyed scorpion (legit)
flying leech (only three woundable things under the (w)ounds screen)
a spider made of water (what now? can I drink this thing? and how does it breathe deadly dust?)

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:36:09 pm »

I usually get bored and abandon before my population gets high enough for megabeasts. I think the highest I've ever gotten was 50 or so. But I've heard of ones made entirely of blood.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:08:04 pm »

I recently had a one-eyed weasel show up.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:12:04 pm »

I recently had a one-eyed weasel show up.
The sppining joke strikes the Iceball3 in the head!
He is laughing

(w)ounds:
*ability to stand lost
*ability to breath lost

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:31:12 am »

Not mine, but:
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

It's just SO PERFECT
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:54:41 am »

Some kind of insect made out of amber with a poisonous sting.  All I could think of was Jurassic Park, at least until one of my Hammerdwarves laid in to it.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:37:11 am »

The best forgotten beast is a dead forgotten beast.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 02:57:54 am »

I have never seen a FB but I have seen a demon composed of green taumalite it was unkillable back then.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:20:02 am »

I'm sure this is common, but I have a 'Great blob composed of flame. It has a narrow tail and appears to be emaciated.' So skipping the paradox of a skinny blob, It's made out of fire and has no body parts apart from a tail. How the hell am I going to kill that ? It's immune to water, as it's evaporated a huge underground lake.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 05:55:40 am »

I would love to say the Ass demon. Beware his poisonous gas! But Alas, he is no forgotten beast.
My favorite FB was a gigantic diamond cave crocodile that breathed fire. That image is awesome.
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:37 am »

Not mine, but:
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder(ed).

It's just SO PERFECT

My god...What has Toady DONE!?
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:21:09 am »

My favorite was a three-eyed fire breathing iguana. Though technically a titan he managed to scare off a siege and get himself killed all while my bridge door was locked  :D

There was also a true forgotten beast where upon reading his description I could imagine nothing else but a glass machamp with a pair of wings.
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:23:30 am »

At this moment my first cavern is infested with forgotten beasts with three of them quadruped beings made out of inorganic materials: fire, vomit and tube agate(yes, vomit is organic but you get the point). Still left are two organic-types: One is a giant python and the other I can't recall at the moment. For a total of five I'm very disappointed none of them started fighting each other. The two animal-based ones are suffering from a syndrome left by the first FB (an alligator-type) to enter that got killed by my chief medical dwarf who was tantruming and went up to it and shoved a pick in it's head(after it killed about half of the forts population)  8)
But it seems that any uncovered feet get massive heaps of blood stacked in their legs after which they burst. I've had a couple of cats and one puppy die due to this but the organic FB's don't seem to mind while their bottom parts are constantly rotting and spewing FB blood everywhere...

I'll update when I get home but for now I've sealed of the first cavern and am trying to build a system with rooms and bridges to separate the FBs, for science, goblin sacrifices and military shenanigans!
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 10:19:36 am »

Picks are the best way to kill  FBs. While twenty armed and trained dwarves were hacking away at a snail forgotten beast, a passing miner swung at its head and struck brain, killing it instantly.
Pages: [1] 2 3