Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I finally got Alien Crossfire, but there's a catch...  (Read 3358 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I finally got Alien Crossfire, but there's a catch...
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:29:09 pm »

I got Alpha Centauri when it first came out.  I was a pretty good game, but I was still too young to really appreciate it.  When the Alien Crossfire expansion came out, I let it pass by without getting it.  Later on, I would return to SMAC, and really appreciate the depth of it.  I then regretted not getting the expansion when it came out.

In any case, last week I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy Alien Crossfire.  I found a good deal on a bundle of SMAC/SMAX and bought it online.  I should have done my research.

Here's what I got:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interesting...  This is a re-released version by "Sold-Out Software."  Basically, they released a SMAC/SMAX bundle again for a cheap price.  Not a bad idea.  So far, so good.

But Sold Out Software is an EA distributor.  You know what that means:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Crap, DRM.  I did a little searching online and found that the thing has SecuROM on it.  And this is a legacy title, no less!  They truly have no shame.  I really want to install this game, but I know that I probably shouldn't.

First of all, let this be a lesson to everyone to research your online purchases first.  In my case, the seller didn't list this as the re-released version, but I should have known better.

Second, I want to open this up to everyone here.  Is anyone familiar with this version or its DRM?  I've never used something with SecuROM before, but I've heard terrible things.  Should I just return this and cough up the cash for the real deal?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: So I finally got Alien Crossfire, but there's a catch...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:36:30 pm »

DRM is far less destructive than it used to be. It no longer fries mobos or makes CD-roms explode.

But some people object to having usage data written to their hard drive, under any circumstances. Current DRM now is largely to defeat virtual drive software like Daemon Tools....which actually has emulation to work around said DRM.

So it won't ruin your computer, and it's unlikely to cause any real conflicts...but it depends on where you stand on the principle. I've basically gotten over DRM. Almost every major game has it in one form or another, and SecuROM is now actually far less of a problem than say, dial-home software and requirements.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:05:18 pm »

Yeah, this is a case of "a few bad eggs".  It's hard to find stuff without Securom honestly.  And it's really not that bad.

Plus, it's AC (though am I the only person who liked the pre-expansion version better?..)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »

It's really easy to find stuff without Securom or bad drm. It's hard to find it LEGALLY. That's the problem :/.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:53:50 pm »

My concern mostly centers around any restrictions put up by the software.  If it has a finite number of installs, it's completely ruled out in my book.  (I have installed AC more times than I can count, I will likely continue to do so.)  That's why I asked about this software specifically.  I guess I could ask the manufacturer.  It's good to hear that the bad stories I heard are exceptions rather than the rule.

Having stuff installed by SecuROM that doesn't go away automatically with an uninstall bothers me a little, but I can deal with that. 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:39:51 pm »

well you bought the game... pirate download a drm-free?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41:46 pm »

well you bought the game... pirate download a drm-free?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:46:40 pm »

hey it can't be illegal he owns a real copy of the game.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:52:49 pm »

I does not get point of this thread?
Like, for realz? Whats going on? Are you afraid securom is going to blow your computer up? Do you seriously fall for that?
When was the last time an 'uninstall' ACTUALLY removed ALL game content? I have almost always had registry crap leftover from pretty much everything. people just like to over hype drm "problems" in order to excuse their drm circumvention, while conveniently ignoring the fact that securom (among other drm) is ultimately not that detrimental at all...
I can promise you that securom will not explode your machine... Don't fall for the fear mongering, its not dangerous.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:09 pm »

Install limitations are still a relevant concern, even though they are SO 2008.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »

I does not get point of this thread?
Like, for realz? Whats going on? Are you afraid securom is going to blow your computer up? Do you seriously fall for that?
When was the last time an 'uninstall' ACTUALLY removed ALL game content? I have almost always had registry crap leftover from pretty much everything. people just like to over hype drm "problems" in order to excuse their drm circumvention, while conveniently ignoring the fact that securom (among other drm) is ultimately not that detrimental at all...
I can promise you that securom will not explode your machine... Don't fall for the fear mongering, its not dangerous.
oh nos, HES ONE OF THEMS!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:01:49 pm »

oh nos, HES ONE OF THEMS!

Damn straight, Ubisoft ftw

[/sarcasm]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 11:05:34 pm »

Unless some legal precident showed up and I missed it, that argument is still ambiguously effective under United States law. Assuming he's in the United States, that is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:46 pm »

Unless some legal precident showed up and I missed it, that argument is still ambiguously effective under United States law. Assuming he's in the United States, that is.
true and if they counter with its a different game he can sue them for fraud.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 06:13:01 am »

I think I have that exact version of AC, and I don't remember seeing anything to do with installation limitations or anything to do with DRM at all, though I've only installed it once. So it should be fine.
Pages: [1] 2