Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How Do You Kill Your Nobles?  (Read 7235 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: How Do You Kill Your Nobles?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 11:17:56 am »

I haven't killed any nobles in DF2010, since as pointed out most of the useless/annoying ones are gone, and you actually get to pick who your baron is now.

In my last 40d fortress, I had a Tax Collector who kept mandating bismuth items.  You can't make anything out of bismuth, so the only way to meet this request was by smelting bismuth bars from ore.  Eventually I ran out of bismuth ore.  Next time a mandate for bismuth items came up I built her a lovely bismuth bar bridge over the main cistern, accessed by a floor made from bismuth bars and with escape from it blocked off by bismuth walls.  I couldn't make the door that locked behind her out of bismuth, or the lever that I had her pull to retract the bridge and dump her into the cistern out of bismuth either, but I think the overall effect was a proper reward for her actions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 11:20:33 am »

I have to agree with some sentiments in this thread, nobles aren't as much as a problem as people make them, currently my only mandate maker likes greaves, giant bat leather and lead, all things I can easily provide when she makes mandates, and those I can't I just ignore and she doesn't seem to mind (probably the royal throne room, bedroom, dining room and mausoleum).

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 11:48:48 am »

My favorite noble kill was knocking (cave-in) him out in a cage trap, and then build the cage in the middle of my main food stockpile.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »

Really pretty surprised at all the rational, pragmatic attitudes towards the nobles in the new version. Angered and disgusted, too, but mostly surprised.  :D

Well, maybe I can give them a shot again. Heck, I murdered enough nobles in my .40 fort to make up for 20 or more fortresses; I can spare a baron/tax collector  I guess.

Hey! I got to select my baron. Gee, I can't see any of the stats of my dwarves to  see what would be a good choice. Meh, I'll just choose one that I won't lose too much productivity from. That Animal Dissector was doing good work taming the fort mascot; he'll do as a baron.

*Later*

Oh, joy! Tosid's been named Baron! All hail a new age of peace and understanding with the nobility! Say, what are his likes/dislikes...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, that's um... err... peace and...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:03:57 am by DrGravitas »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:48:29 pm »

To kill noble, its really simple for me. I set a three tiles hallway, and put a gate in each side. There is now one tile only between the doors. On this tile, i put a trap with ten menacing spikes. I wait for a noble to pass (i lock the others ways in the fortress to go faster) and then i wait.

Last game bodycount:
Mayor
Baron
Duke
King (that was funny. I gived him a beauteful tomb)
Captain of the guard (i replaced him by a cooler guy)

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:23:01 am »

I don't kill nobles. They are the best dwarves.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 02:59:43 am »

The inability to see the likes of your dwarves when you're choosing a baron is pretty annoying.  I've even gone so far as to restart embarks when none of the starting dwarves have simple tastes (because for sure the leader will become the first mayor, who makes mandates).  Then you have to guess and hope you don't pick a baron who likes adamantium, or one type of toy or instrument, or cave crocodiles for their scales, or the main export of the fortress.  Export bans as the caravan is leaving are the worst kind of f-you the dwarves can give.
Luckily I haven't got a baron yet and the mayor likes trifle pewter and maces, so half the time he's banning something I don't want to sell anyway.  If I ever want to kill him, I'll have him pull a lever in the magmaworks while it fills.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 12:16:30 pm »

Bait lever inside a sealed chamber, then I flood it. Simple, easy, minimal mess. I also occasionally build automatic atomizers linked to pressure plates and built in front of the only route to a bait lever. Literally no mess, but it takes a while to set up.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 12:31:24 pm »

The inability to see the likes of your dwarves when you're choosing a baron is pretty annoying.  I've even gone so far as to restart embarks when none of the starting dwarves have simple tastes (because for sure the leader will become the first mayor, who makes mandates).  Then you have to guess and hope you don't pick a baron who likes adamantium, or one type of toy or instrument, or cave crocodiles for their scales, or the main export of the fortress.  Export bans as the caravan is leaving are the worst kind of f-you the dwarves can give.
Luckily I haven't got a baron yet and the mayor likes trifle pewter and maces, so half the time he's banning something I don't want to sell anyway.  If I ever want to kill him, I'll have him pull a lever in the magmaworks while it fills.

I just appoint the dwarf to be the manager. Then when the liaison asks who you want to promote I select the manager.

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 12:07:09 am »

I embarked on a map with a volcano, but there was a pond on the edge and it caused a collapse and clownite to be revealed early. Problem is my mayor really likes the stuff. First he forbids the export of it. That's fine as it's 50z below anything I have dug. Then he demands that I make something out of it.

I tell him that as long as he goes in and gets it it shouldn't be a problem. One diving board later and splash. Not sure how far he made it down but I don't think the mandate is what he's worried about now.

Military move orders are great.
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 12:07:52 am »

What are these "nobles" that you speak of?
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 12:25:46 am »

I build large, and distinctly separated from the rest of the fortress, royal apartments. They always have floodgates built into them so that if they get pesky, I just lock them in and wait for themselves to sort themselves out.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 11:30:07 am »

My current noble likes iron. He doesn't have any particular items in his preferences, just iron and several different colors.

This means he only ever mandates that I make iron items.

An iron bar is an iron item.

Thus, as my smelters are endlessly churning out iron his mandates are always fulfilled.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 11:54:28 am »

Throw them into the goblin pit while I arrange one of my military training sessions.

If they survive, good on them, they can stay (As far as I'm concerned, any dwarf which can survive, unarmoured, in an arena full of upright spears, 10 or so goblins and more often than not an ettin/giant, then they're awesome even if they are a bismuth bronze bucket fetishist.

So far, there haven't been any survivors. They've all died in the resulting explosion of hacked off limbs and blood.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 01:53:39 pm »

My last mayor mandated one too many "Raw Aluminum Items."

Just when I was finshing my flooding entrance trap. 

So I made sure everyone else was busy doing something and ordered a War Elephant to be chained outside the entrance.  And waited.  You see, the entrance has both an automatic and a manual mode.  Once the mayor was on the move with the pachyderm I freed the workers from their labors and got them ready to "Pull The Lever!"

The first test of the flooding entrance trap was a resounding success.  The loss of one War Elephant was considered acceptable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3