Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The LoZ thread  (Read 5650 times)

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The LoZ thread
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 03:15:51 am »

My favorite Zelda has to be a link to the past, but out of the 3d ones, I prefer majoras mask. I didn't like it more than OoT at first, but it really grows on you.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 05:12:48 am »

I must echo others that thought Majora's mask was a bit better. The story was more interesting, the enviroments were more varied, and the enemies were generally more interesting, as well as the characters.
Plus, there were some parts that were downright bizzare, and that's one thing i've always loved about the zelda series, that it can be bizzare and sometimes disturbing without being vulgar or grotesque.
It captures the strangeness of people in some fascinating ways.

Indeed.
Not to mention the sidequests were a lot more complex and interesting.

Another creepy enemy from MM:
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Like_Like

Also the secound bossfight was epic.
The one where you have to use to goron-maks to race with the boss :D

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 05:45:01 am »

I've not read through the whole topic but I always did enjoy Zelda games.

The first Zelda game I played/finished was A Link to the Past on the SNES. It was, now I think back, likely the game that got me into gaming. I was young at the time, parts of the game had me stuck for months, it took me more than a year to finish on my first save. I still wish Zelda games had as many dungeons as this one did.

Ocarina of Time blew my mind again and again but still now I consider it I prefer Majora's Mask. Call me a heretic if you like but it's different from what I expected and remains a pleasantly surprising, yet odd, game. fake edit: looks like we're all heretics.

I got a lot of enjoyment out of the GameBoy / Colour / GBA Zelda games. I need to go back and play them again I can't remember them in much detail, just that I enjoyed them. I just wish the DS Zelda games we're half as good.

Unlike many I know I really enjoyed Wind Waker. I found the art style charming and more than fitting. Brilliant textures, particles, the shape of things, everything. The only downside was the lack of dungeons, if it had been as long as Link to the Past it would easily be a contender for my favourite Zelda game. More varied weather and climate would have been nice, bigger storms at sea for example. I preferred WW to Twilight Princess.

I've always said I wanted a more open-ended game set in the Zelda universe. Which is odd with MM being one of my favourite Zelda games. Then again MM is open ended to an extent, many paths and quests in a limited time. An open-ended WW style game with some larger landmasses could be interesting.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:11 am »

I'm gonna go continue TP soon.
 :-\

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 10:08:00 am »

I'm pretty sure Like Likes were in the first game. I also think that the Dead Hand was the most bizarre enemy, and the scariest was obviously the Wallmaster.

I think the scariest thing in the game for Majora's Mast was the Music Box house. It was just too creepy o-o

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 10:52:35 am »

I'm pretty sure Like Likes were in the first game.

Yeah but the texture was never as creepy as in MM.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 11:28:52 am »

In Ganon's castle the like like ate my tunic, so I had to go through the fire room without it. It used a fairy. But of course there's the secret part with more.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 11:35:46 am »

I'm pretty sure Like Likes were in the first game.
There was a Like Like in one of the OoT dungeons, too, IIRC. I have to say that the scariest enemies I have ever encountered in a game are the ReDead outside of the Temple of Time after you get the master sword in OoT. When I first did that it scared my 10-year-old self so bad I didn't play the game for a week.

The original Legend of Zelda was my first video game ever, and it remains one of the best I've played, though a lot easier than most.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 11:39:36 am »

One place I definitely remember Like-likes in OoT is the fire temple, a door on the left of a large chamber leads to a room with one. But yeah ReDeads freaked me out more than anything else, I do however remember feeling nervous going down into the well.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2010, 11:46:10 am »

Oh my redeads.

Yeah...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 11:54:46 am »

The time limit in Majora's Mask wasn't bad at all if you slowed time down. Heck, you could finish an entire area by the end of Day Two.

That, and its atmosphere and characters are unlike any others I've run into. Zora bands? Midnight dancers? Skeleton gravediggers? Hands popping out of toilets? Which other games can boast characters half as memorable?

I absolutely advocate the playing of Link's Awakening. If you can find it, get it. Play it. It's absolutely worth playing. Gameplay is sound, story is sound, dungeon and area design is excellent, and the tools are all fun. I enjoyed it far more than I did A Link to the Past.

My brother went as far as to complete the game 100%. Twice.

This post mirrors my sentiments exactly. The atmosphere/world of MM is unparalleled in any Zelda game. While normally this isn't a selling point in a game for me, it is already a Zelda game, so most of the other selling points are already in there. :D

I need to find my LA cart and my GBC battery pack, it's been too long. Ballad of the Wind Fish is my favorite Zelda song, and the rest of the music is great.
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 12:06:03 pm »

I liked the prelude of light(?)
The water temple song
and the fire temple song.
From OoT

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 12:26:21 pm »

I liked the prelude of light(?)
The water temple song
and the fire temple song.
From OoT

What about the song in the Lost Woods?
I still sometimes whistle it...

Not to forget to Song of Storms.
Awesome remix including e-guitars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApGy0Qmu6NU

ReDeads got a lot less scary, after you learned Sun's Song, which you could use to stun them for a while.

I'm sure its safe to say that the ocarina is the most kickass instrument in video game history.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:38:07 pm by Mindmaker »

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:02 pm »

It's fun to wear the Captain's mask around Redeads >:3

(it is the captain's mask rite?)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »

Another "heretic" here; I thought Majora's Mask was the better game, but I think I enjoyed the boss patterns of Ocarina of Time more at the time.

"Did anyone happen to save all those dungeon analysis from earlier?" takes a good, long look at what was implied in the game. Some of the dungeons get a fair bit more disturbing.
 Oh, and for music, I found this site. Despite the ads (I have blocked), the assorted (unrelated) banners, and a bit of link hunting, it's a complete archive.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6