Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!  (Read 12297 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2010, 01:26:58 am »

Practice helps a lot with crepes. I once spent a whole afternoon just making crepe after crepe, for practice (I was bored). I remember stacking over 40 of them on top of each other, before they started leaning.
For they would be your masters.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2010, 01:42:07 am »

Also, when making them, be sure to have the oven warm (ie heat it 100 then turn it off) with a plate in there to keep the crepes till you're ready to serve. Or, you know, just flip them out into the ravening horde that always descends when you bake them :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2010, 08:00:13 am »

Practice helps a lot with crepes. I once spent a whole afternoon just making crepe after crepe, for practice (I was bored). I remember stacking over 40 of them on top of each other, before they started leaning.

There are fun recipes that involve stacking crepes

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 06:27:24 pm »

There are fun recipes that involve stacking crepes

That was a long time ago, when I still had the fantasy of being a chef (and before the third herniated disc in my back).

Unfortunately, being a chef in a restaurant (of more than maybe 6 tables, tops)...really sucks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »

Being someone's personal chef could be kind of cool, if frighteningly stressful.

Yeah, I'm definitely not going into professional food.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2010, 07:02:18 pm »

It can be great, but it's a tough job.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2010, 08:02:17 am »

Blew up a baked potato I wanted for lunch.
I think the holes I poked in it got blocked. I'll just blame it on my brothers.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2010, 10:35:57 am »

How would 1/3 of diced jalapeņos + 1/3 diced bell peppers + 1/3 vinegar + garlic, lemon, etc. work as a hot sauce? I'm afraid I'll burn my tongue off while trying it. Should I add more bell peppers, or is the ratio fine?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »

Depends on how much chilli you like, everyone is different. For myself, I wouldn't consider pure jalapenos hot, whereas my brother would probably find the recipe as posted too much. Just taste test and see, and if you're that worried about chilli, have a glass of full fat milk nearby.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2010, 02:43:37 pm »

I hear wasabi gets rid of the burn just as well. Anyway, I'll give it a shot later this week.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2010, 06:47:51 pm »

Well basically there are two kinds of Spice that is hot

Acid based: Wasabi, Radish, Onion
Oil Based: Every Other spice

While Acid spices go away rather quickly and can be washed away with water. Oil based spices linger and avoid most liquids.

So when eating something spicey, yes Milk works. Though Bread is also great for spice as well as Bananas. Anything that would get oil out of your mouth would work.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:55 am »

Your palette eventually gets used to heat (somewhat), so you can build up a resistance over time.

Banana peppers are spicy, but not intensely hot. Same thing with green chilis.

Jalapenos can be wicked hot, if you aren't used to them, but they aren't nearly as hot as the long red Thai peppers, or other peppers from Asia or the Carribean (personal experience: stay away from tiny, bright purple peppers).

Habaneros are pretty much the hottest chili pepper in the world, but their heat varies widely, so there are plenty of contenders out there. Habanero peppers also have an excellent flavor, if allowed to fully ripen on the vine.
(I had some teriffic tuna sushi with habanero mayonaise, about a year ago, and I tend to put a little habanero in my chili or picante sauce.)

Wasabi is very nice (as well as sushi, it's also great with fresh strawberries, if you want an unusual dessert), but terribly expensive (apparently, they aren't easy to grow). One fresh wasabi bulb can cost 40$ plus. That's a huge sum for a vegetable. The stuff you get at the grocery store is likely to be just processed horseradish, or dried, watered down, reconstituted wasabi powder.

Horseradish and onions are really easy to grow. I've grown onions, and horseradish grows like a weed, once it's established. I'm from Pennsylvania, and horseradish is something I'll eat often, almost always alongside beef.

Onions also vary a lot in heat, and I've had onions that were every bit as sweet as an apple, before.

Wasabi is slightly hotter, but more delicately flavored, than horseradish.

Oh, and there's also mustard/black pepper/spice, which is a third variety of "heat", which I would put in a separate category from capsicum peppers. While also oil-based, black pepper, mustard, and spices such as cinnamon and clove, tend to be an "irritant" type of heat, which stimulates, and sometimes numbs, the palette.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2010, 01:58:50 pm »

Three recipes that I posted on another forum:

Face Melter Pork Chops
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chicken Cordon Bake

Quesadillas

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

The Naga Jolokias are the hottest peppers, FYI.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2010, 04:20:25 am »

Hmmm... Looks like it has been, as of 2007, according to the internet.

Sorry about the incorrect information. The red savina habanero had been the hottest before that, since 1994, but I haven't bought a new Guinness World Book for several years.

I do very much enjoy the flavor of habaneros more than any other hot pepper that I've sampled, but I don't often cook with them, except for chili or hot relishes/pickles/home made vinegar hot sauce.

For every day food, I stick with dried Thai peppers.

Datil peppers are supposed to be comparable in heat to regular orange habaneros, but have a sweeter flavor. I haven't seen them in my area, yet, but they sound nice.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11