Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!  (Read 12288 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:09 am »

Not that hard at all, really. It was a pretty basic recipe; it consisted of nothing but cream cheese, chocolate, vanilla extract, and sugar, as far as I can remember. Oh, and an Oreo crumb crust, which was more annoying than anything else.

Having a springform pan is neat because otherwise you're pretty limited when it comes to cheesecakes unless you just use one of those pre-made store-bought crusts.
Springform pans are very useful indeed.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:33 am »

Here is something that may be a bit too easy but here it goes

Do you like Jam sandwich but feel it is too ordinary?

A thin layer of Butter or Margerine actually mixes quite well!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 10:26:45 am »

Does anyone know anything about how to make fried rice?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 10:35:12 am »

Cook the rice in a pan with large amount of oil? Or maybe, cook the rice as you would normally and then fry it in a pan with some oil.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 11:21:30 am »

I generally cook the rice as normal (to just less than perfectly cooked) then in a separate frypan, fry off the bacon/onion/chilli/etc. Combine the two, add a tablespoon of sweet soya sauce (kecap manis, the indonesian sweet soy, is perfect for this), any other spices you may use (a pinch of chinese 5 spice is always good) and stir well.

Enjoy.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2010, 05:42:59 pm »

My kick ass pasta salad:

1 pnd. Rotini Noodles.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Soy Sauce
Diced Cucumber
Diced Black Olives
Minced Garlic
Shitake Mushrooms
Crumbled Feta Cheese
Shredded Asiago Cheese
Shakeable Parmesan Cheese
Paul Newman's Caeser Dressing.

I start by putting the chicken breasts in water to boil for a good ~10 to 15 minutes depending on thickness.

Meanwhile I saute the mushrooms with the minced garlic in olive oil until soft and yummy. Then I set that in the fridge.

Peel and de-core the Cucumber, dice it and the black olives. Set that in the fridge.

By now the chicken is done, and I set it out, put a big cut through the middle, and leave it for about 10 minutes to cool and drain of water and juices.

When the chicken is ready, I lightly rub each piece with soy sauce, just enough to put some flavor back into it. At this time I set the pasta to water.

Then I begin the tedious process of hand shredding all the chicken into very fine strips. This is why it has to dry out thoroughly first. When I'm done I have a big mound of shredded chicken, and I sprinkle some more soy sauce over it and toss it around a little to mix it.

When the pasta is done, I shock the shit out of it immediately, drain it thoroughly, add the chicken and the veggies to it and set it in the fridge to cool completely.

I put the feta, asiago, parmesan and dressing on to serve, since the whole thing goes south in the fridge much faster with those ingredients already in it. The dressing is an oil based caeser , not a ranch-based one, so it gives the whole thing this nice oily kick without making it gooey like all other pasta salad. 

Stuff is waiting in the fridge now, god I can't wait to nomnomnom, I'm soo hungry.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:44:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 06:44:52 pm »

Speaking of salads;

I've posted this elsewhere on the forums, and it's practically everywhere on the web, but a salad consisting of

washed baby spinach leaves,
toasted pinenuts,
roast pumpkin (cubed to about 1-1.5cm on a side),
feta cheese (cubed to same)
and sliced spanish onion (the red one) will be popular anywhere.

It goes well with a simple balsamic and olive oil dressing (equal parts extra virgin olive oil + balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste), looks amazing, takes no effort at all, and is vegetarian and (sans feta) vegan friendly.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2010, 08:00:35 am »

Fried rice is pretty easy to make, once you know how, but parts can be tricky, and it takes a lot of practice to get really good at it.

For one, you want to use day old rice. So cook the rice the night before, and let it sit in the fridge. I don't rinse my rice, especially for fried rice, but you might want to rinse yours. I like long grain white rice for fried rice.

Also, the eggs, you want to add a little water to them (maybe a tbsp to 3 eggs), and stir them up a little before you add them to the hot rice, and sort of make a "hole" in the middle of the rice, and then scramble the eggs on the bare pan, until you've got cooked scrambled eggs, before mixing them back into the rice.

I like sweet baby peas (don't cook them before hand, infact frozen peas are fine), diced cooked carrots (small dice, simmered until somewhat softened, but not mushy. You want them firmish, with a bite to them.), mushrooms (I like oyster mushrooms, cut into quarters, with the stems removed), diced preboiled white breast chicken (preferrably with the skin still on, and in pretty large pieces--see below), peeled shrimps (precooked will probably work better, but I just cook mine right before, or along with the fried rice), lots of garlic (I'll used 3-6 cloves, diced finely), some fresh grated ginger (maybe a tsp to a tbsp, depending on how much you like ginger), a tiny bit of dried chili flakes (half a tsp or less), some chopped green onions (aka scallions, half a cup will do) and maybe some of those big yellow bean sprouts they sometimes have at the store.

Also, I like using Hawaiian soy sauce, because it's good quality (Hawaii has a large Asian community), and usually cheaper than the Asian imports.

White wine, or rice wine, mixed with chicken stock in equal parts (maybe a total of 1/4 to 1/3 cup), and a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil, is optional. Diced ham or Chinese style BBQ pork meat is also optional.

If using ham, I'd fry it first until slightly crispy, maybe with a little honey and a little soy (say a tablespoon of each) and then let it dry on a paper towel until cool, then dice into medium small cubes.

You'll want to crack 2 or 3 eggs, and then pour the contents into a measuring cup, or small bowl. Add a little water, and stir with a fork until the yolks are broken up. Set that aside someplace safe.

Peanut oil is good, but you can use any kind of oil, and I like extra virgin olive oil. You'll want to add maybe 3 tablespoons to a broad frying pan (the bigger the pan, the better, and woks ofcourse work great), and heat the oil on medium high (a setting of 7 out of 10) for 3-5 minutes. Be careful not to use a wet pan, or have any water or other liquids around the pan, because they can cause the oil to splatter. And, ofcourse, don't touch the pan anywhere but on the handle.

Add the chili flakes and ginger to the pan and then (immediately) carefully add the day-old rice (small spoonfuls at a time work good). You'll want about 1 cup of uncooked rice for 2-3 people (more or less). Once the rice is added, add the garlic (you don't want it to scorch, so don't add it with the ginger/chilis), and stir the rice mixture gently but thoroughly into the hot oil.

Take the pan off the heat, and using a serving spoon, carefully push the rice mixture to the edges of the pan, until you've got a hole in the middle, with the pan bottom showing through. Put the pan back on the heat, and immediately add your egg mixture. Don't touch the rice at this point, just let it cook, and only stir the eggs occasionally, until you've got pretty thoroughly scrambled eggs. You can turn the heat down if you want, to keep the eggs from scorching, if you need to.

The important thing is: thoroughly cooked, puffy yellow scrambled eggs.   

Once you've got that, you can add all your veggies, and your meat. Mix thoroughly, add the soy sauce (2 or 3 tbsp, or to taste), and if you want, the white wine/chicken stock mixture.
Cover and let cook on medium or medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes.

Uncover the pan (be careful! it will be hot! so use a hotpad or an oven mitt), and stir again, thoroughly. Serve.

If you want it extra crispy on the bottom, you can turn the heat up to High, for a minute, maybe 2 at the most. Just be careful! It's easy to scorch it at that point, and not that hard to burn yourself, and/or set your house on fire, if you aren't careful.

In any case, that's the last (optional) step, so go ahead and serve.

(I take no legal responsibility for this recipe, or any results from it's use)

On the subject of the chicken: I prefer to use the Chinese method of taking a whole chicken, or chicken breast with bones and skin still on, and placing it into a large deep pan filled with good rich chicken stock (no salt added, and I like to make my own stock, from scratch). I then turn the stock off and let the chicken set for 30 minutes. I then take the chicken out of the cooled stock, and then remove any bones, and carefully slice the chicken, leaving the skin, and any fat, on the slices of meat. If you try doing that, then only add the chicken to the rice in the last 5 minutes, or you can even serve it alongside.

The stock you can then save and use to cook the rice in the night before, the next time you make fried rice.
For they would be your masters.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2010, 04:54:08 pm »

Reviving this because, hell, posting recipes is fun. Here's one for cashew chicken that I've made a few times before, turns out really nice. It's an amalgamation of a few recipes I found online plus a lot of other stuff I like. Making it again tonight, maybe I'll post a pic later!

Spoiler: Cashew Chicken (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:40:43 pm by Retro »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 05:34:26 pm »

Anyone ever think they could make something resembling a Plump Helmet by messing around with popovers?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking! Huzzah for Crepes!
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2010, 08:43:04 pm »

Huzzah for Crepes! I've had a recipe sitting around, waiting to be made since last month. Every time I was inspired to try it out, I found one of the ingredients was missing... eggs, milk, etc. I finally got around to making them this morning, and holy crap were they tasty.

I used unbleached wheat flour, and since the directions were based on batter coloration, I had to estimate a bit more than usual, but they came out great; light, a bit eggy, crispy on the edges, and chewy when layered. I covered them with raspberry and blueberry preserves, and drizzled a tiny bit of honey on top. Best breakfast I've had in a while.

Quote from: Recipe
INGREDIENTS:
1 egg
milk
flour (white or wheat okay)
whatever kind of toppings you feel like putting on - I usually do something simple like cinammon and sugar, but jam and fruit are great, too.  You can also make savory crepes with ham, cheese, and so on.

pan
stuff to beat egg
spatula

Beat egg.  Incorporate milk until mixture is light yellow (the usual lemon cake color), the same way you would for an omelette.  Add a little flour, incorporate, and keep adding until the mixture has changed color again and has become very slightly stiff.  I usually beat until bubbles form, as well.

Apply grease to a pan.  Heat it until a drop of your mixture sizzles and curls at the edges when tossed in.  Add more grease as needed while cooking.

Pour a bit of the mixture into the pan.  Lifting the pan off the stove, use gravity to move excess batter onto unoccupied pan (in a sort of swirling motion).  Continue to shift batter until it has all solidified a bit and your wrist movements don't do anything.  Put pan back onto heat and wait until little holes appear in the surface of the crepe.  The very outermost rim will also turn slightly brown; if you lift up the edge with your spatula, the exposed area should have light brown or golden dapples (if it's darker, don't worry about it).  Flip it over - this takes some, and often quite a lot, of practice.  The trick is in speed and patience, so I suggest starting with smaller crepes as you're learning.  Remove from pan when it has brown spots on the underside.  If your crepes are thin enough, then the edges should curl some and you should be able to see a number of bubbles.

Repeat, but between crepes be sure to oil the pan as needed and re-beat the batter: the flour tends to go out of solution from time to time, and it's better not to waste it if at all possible.

Makes 4 or so, depending on how you divvy it up.  4 is pretty good for one person.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:04 pm »

It worked?!  Congratulations, they look perfect!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2010, 09:06:40 pm »

Crepes are awesome. Also, the best topping ever in lemon juice and sugar. Om nom nom.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2010, 09:12:17 pm »

Oh my god yes.

They were really simple to make too. I'm going to have to try some variations next time. I was a bit surprised that I didn't bork them horribly; I normally go off strict measurements until I really know a recipe, but surprisingly it worked the first time; I based it on batter thickness rather than coloration, since the wheat flour made the batter look yellow-brown.

Thanks a ton for the recipe though, Vector; next time my buddy is over in the morning, I'm going to make these and see how he likes them. He likes to think of himself as a food-snob, so we shall see!

Oh, and did you ever get around to trying that Pannukakku?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:16 pm »

Hey, you're welcome!  Crepes are really surprisingly flexible.  These are kind of the easy health-snob version, though--fancy versions usually have some sugar, vanilla, or something like that in the batter.  I like having something I can whip up in ten minutes, without too much hustling for different ingredients.

Haven't tried the pannukakku yet because there's only two people in the house right now, but I'm looking forward to trying them out :9
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11