Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!  (Read 12307 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 02:25:39 am »

Might've been a more advanced thing... there's all kinds of techniques to icing a cake, you know.

Maybe except the recipe was

Take a cake
Take some Icing
Apply Icing to Cake

As for a recipe section... uhhh I am not sure I can help there. The most complex thing I can make is Multilayered Chocolates.

Here is a recipe that will work!

Get Minicupcake cups (or whatever they are called)

Fill the bottom with a bit of chocolate
Chill the chocolate
then put a bit of chocolate down there
Then put something solid down there such as Peanut butter cookies, Marshmellow, or Caramel
Then fill the rest up with chocolate
Then chill once more.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:34:03 am by Neonivek »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 05:38:40 am »

Go for it Soli, I have a list of recipes to trade, including PRETZELS :D

Neo, if you want to make them, I recommend this topping; sprinkle evenly with a teaspoon of brown sugar, then squeeze out the juice from a wedge of lemon over all the sugar. Roll and enjoy.

All other toppings pale in comparison, even fresh blueberries and vanilla icecream.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 05:22:03 pm »

I tried the cupcake thing to make chocolates but I am seeing that without cupcakes of two different sizes what happens is the walls get too thin and they break appart and become uneven.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 06:46:47 pm »

Dad wasn't home to cook dinner tonight, so I had to give it a try, and I must say, this is fun. I did make anything grand, just some pasta sauce, but we all have to start somewhere don't we?

I never knew a chunk of butter, garlic, jalapeņos, and chili sauce go together so nicely. I just forgot clean the pan before frying an egg in it later, that was a disaster. I'm gonna try making something a bit bigger tomorrow, not some silly pasta sauce. Hopefully I won't burn the house down.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 09:45:54 pm »

Heh, learning to make "mom's marinara" was how I learned to start cooking too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:57 pm »

@I like pie, if we're talking pasta sauce, try this

In a knob of butter, simmer 1 onion (finely diced), 1 sprigs worth of fresh rosemary (strip the leaves and chop them as fine as possible), tsp of crushed garlic and 2 small red chillies (finely chopped, leave seeds in if you like heat) till the onion goes clear. Add half a can of crushed tomatoes, ~1/4 cup of red wine, 1/8th cup of balsamic vinegar, and simmer while covered for 15 to 20 mins, stirring regularly. Ta da! Can also be made non-vegetarian by frying off sliced bacon/salami with the onion.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 10:03:14 pm »

And stay away from the sugar. A pinch, a tiny pinch, is all you need to cut the tartness of the tomatoes. (I actually prefer the acidity.) A fistful of sugar in the pot is the reason I won't buy many commercial sauces anymore; who the hell wants sweet marinara? /gag
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 10:12:13 pm »

I generally don't add sugar at all. Canned crushed tomatoes (here in aus at least) actually have a little sugar added, but if I'm doing it from real tomatoes, a little capsicum goes a long way towards balancing the dish.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 12:45:57 am »

I dunno why, probably because that's how ma' used to make it, but I prefer working with paste. It's not gourmet, but I prefer being able to control the texture and viscosity a little more, so you get a nice even sauce. Plus I just hate half stewed chunks of tomato in my sauce, or excess water.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 01:23:32 am »

Ahhh that would be why. Yeah, I never use paste, I find it is far too harsh. Also, I prefer a little texture, as it allows the flavours a little bit more variety.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:57 pm »

Heh, my mums's (and thus my) bolognaise has three kinds of tomatoes; canned, paste *and* passata.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 05:58:45 pm »

@I like pie, if we're talking pasta sauce, try this

In a knob of butter, simmer 1 onion (finely diced), 1 sprigs worth of fresh rosemary (strip the leaves and chop them as fine as possible), tsp of crushed garlic and 2 small red chillies (finely chopped, leave seeds in if you like heat) till the onion goes clear. Add half a can of crushed tomatoes, ~1/4 cup of red wine, 1/8th cup of balsamic vinegar, and simmer while covered for 15 to 20 mins, stirring regularly. Ta da! Can also be made non-vegetarian by frying off sliced bacon/salami with the onion.
Sounds great, though, I was looking more for a five second type thing to stick on my pasta, hence the frying pan, butter and oil. Plain pasta is yuk.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:06:48 pm by ILikePie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

In that case...

Olive oil + minced garlic + salted butter + oregano + basil = a rich sauce that's easy on the fly.

Just be careful not to over do it, or you'll give yourself a case of the runs.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 06:07:53 pm »

I assume I need to fry that? Sounds great.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 06:19:24 pm »

I start like this.

Get the pan medium hot, toss in butter.

When the butter has fully melted, reduce heat so it doesn't burn, add olive oil to preference. (I would suggest starting with a little and seeing what it tastes like. Too much Olive Oil is what gives you the runs.) Give that a minute and a good stirring.

Once the butter and oil are reasonably well combined, add in the garlic and let it saute a little. Don't turn the heat up or you'll burn the garlic and it will taste nasty. If you've got little brown, fried chunks of garlic by the end of all this, you used too much heat.

Once the garlic has gotten soft and started releasing all its flavor, add in your dry seasonings. Stir/whisk it for a minute to really get it blended, give it a few more minutes on low heat, then pull it and serve. You can substitute powdered garlic for real if you need to....but nothing compares to real garlic.

I've got a pretty good knack for alfredo sauces too, if you wanna get into that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:22:06 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11