Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!  (Read 12318 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:14:39 pm »

Hello everyone to Neonivek's Mutant Cooking! Great to see you. Why is this in the Life Advice section? Because I'd like to know if I am on the right track!

I dislike looking up recipes because it isn't my recipe it is someone elses and in the end pointless.

My first recipe! Cinaminamin Bread!

I want to make a sweet and spicy Cinabread. The difficulty here is that Cinamin can be spicy but it can also become bland easily. Here is my guess!

First I use the standard bread ingrediants
-A Cup of Cinamin
-Two tablespoons of Cayan Pepper (Sesame seeds would go wonderfully in here too)
-An extra table spoon of brown sugar

Then for the glaze of oil I thought of making something BBQ so I'd add Paprica to the oil mix!

I think I may need to add some black pepper...

There it is my first dish.

Would it work?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:05:09 pm »

If you use a cup of cinnamon, you'll probably be crying for weeks (and/or vomiting).  Same with your two tablespoons of Cayenne pepper.

An extra tablespoon of brown sugar won't do all that much, so you'll probably need to add more if you actually want a sweet bread.

Cinammon, black pepper, and cayenne pepper are three different kinds of spicy.  You may want to rethink your usages.  Also, BBQ bread sounds kind of... unhappy.

Also, what kind of bread are you using for the base?  I'd think something flaky and layered would work well, but... I don't know that much about bread.  It sounds like you're trying to make a pastry of sorts.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »

DANG!

I wanted to make some sort of Cinamon bread that is sweet and spicy... so a lot like a pastry but not a cinamon roll...

Something with a complex taste.

But unfortunately when I tend to free form as you can tell... I make some nasty things. I wanted to add Cayenne pepper because I thought the spicyness of the Cinamon would disapear after it was cooked.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:13:35 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

DANG!

I wanted to make some sort of Cinamon bread that is sweet and spicy... so a lot like a pastry but not a cinamon roll...

Like this, maybe?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »

DANG!

Like this, maybe?

No that is using Cinamon like a desert spice. I meant more like Cinamon Pork where it actually takes on a different role.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:17:01 pm »

No that is using Cinamon like a desert spice. I meant more like Cinamon Pork where it actually takes on a different role.

... Whuh?

Sorry, I've never had that, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »

I've had something similar to Vector's link. It's good stuff, especially if you toast it and butter it thoroughly.

I don't know how much luck you'll have trying to make the bread itself sweet and spicy. You might have better luck just making a spicy glaze or dipping sauce to go with a sweet bread recipe of some sort.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 05:24:46 pm »

Looks great, I've never had a cinnamon roll before. The only cinnamon I've ever tried was when I tried munching on a cinnamon stick thinking it was chocolate.

You might /want/ to look at some recipes so that you know you're doing it right. It doesn't mean you're using someone else's work, you're just checking to see if your recipe looks right (So you don't end up baking something like flourless bread).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:02:27 pm »

I don't know how much luck you'll have trying to make the bread itself sweet and spicy. You might have better luck just making a spicy glaze or dipping sauce to go with a sweet bread recipe of some sort.

That is an interesting idea.

You might /want/ to look at some recipes so that you know you're doing it right

I wouldn't know where to start. I am getting rather discouraged but I want to come up with something.

So a bread with a BBQ glaze... It would either be a Flatbread or some sort of Egg bread.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:05:14 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:16 pm »

I dislike looking up recipes because it isn't my recipe it is someone elses and in the end pointless.

It's not pointless!  It gives you a general idea of what basic ingredients are needed, and in what proportions.  For some foods, you can learn this through trial and error instead, but baked stuff has more rigid requirements.  Once you have a vague grasp of the basics, your crazy cinnamon cayenne confections have at least a chance of being edible.

... Whuh?

Sorry, I've never had that, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Cinnamon is used in a savory-type role in Middle Eastern cooking.  I think it's also used in some curry mixes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:26:10 pm »

The Joy of Cooking. Find it. Buy it. Read it. Love it. (Eat it?)

Seriously, more than just recipes, it gives you a crash course in cooking EVERYTHING, from baking to sauteing, sauces, roasts, breads, pastries....

If you're serious about cooking, it's great place to start. Just knowing how things are normally done gives you an idea how they can be done differently.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:34:51 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:22 pm »

What I do now is rather ordinary... So I guess I need to do tons and tons of research basically?

Ohh well... I have no idea how other people do it.

I guess until then here is the recipe I am doing to use
1) Marshmellows
2) Chocolate Chips
3) Peanutbutter Chips
4) Skewers

Skewer marshmellows and melt the peanutbutter chips properly. Then paint the peanut butter mixture onto the marshmellows and when finished place them on a tray and put them into the fridge until cooled. Then apply the chocolate coating next in a similar fashion. You can even add nuts or sprinkles. After it cooled you can remove the skewers. If you dislike the hole you can also apply a chocolate coating again.

Honestly, I'd make this... but everytime I make something simple like this and am happy that I did so, people seem to think ill of me. I can't... Not be happy with what I do if people like it, but I don't want to have to deal with that again.

I need to do something that at least makes these seem impressive. Maybe if I added Hanna with White Chocolate, but I don't know how to make it so instricate with what I have on me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »

Honestly, I'd make this... but everytime I make something simple like this and am happy that I did so, people seem to think ill of me. I can't... Not be happy with what I do if people like it, but I don't want to have to deal with that again.

I need to do something that at least makes these seem impressive. Maybe if I added Hanna with White Chocolate, but I don't know how to make it so instricate with what I have on me.

I'm confused, are you cooking because you like to cook, or cooking because you want praise for what you've made?

Only one of those contains the Zen of Flavor.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:12:50 pm »

I'm confused, are you cooking because you like to cook, or cooking because you want praise for what you've made?

Only one of those contains the Zen of Flavor.

I love to cook

But if I am happy about my cooking and it isn't impressive I get yelled at.

I do like being creative though with my cooking. I usually try to do it by ingrediant in that I try to make something with a certain ingrediant (Last time it was Green Olives)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:20:37 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 11:38:20 pm »

But if I am happy about my cooking and it isn't impressive I get yelled at.

By who?

My brother is huge into cooking. He makes on average 30 dishes a year, just for himself, just to try stuff.

Then every year at Christmas, he cooks for the whole family, between 6 and 15 people.

So he does all his experimentation in private, and puts out his A game when he's practiced something and done it to his own standards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11