Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!  (Read 12293 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Neonivek's Mutant Cooking!
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2010, 04:28:50 am »

Yeah, I tend to cook with a jar of dried birdseye chilli's my housemate brought home from work. Great heat, 2 per serve is enough to make me sweat these days, and the most amazing fragrance, sort of halfway between paprika and roast capsicum.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2010, 08:49:21 am »

I'm about to try and make a Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza from scratch, including making my own dough. I'm excited! I don't have the inclination to make my own sauce, but since sauce is a minor part of Deep Dish pizzas....I think I'll just go with something from a bottle.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24:37 am »

You sure? Sauce is dead easy to make; fry off onion, garlic, roast capsicum and some pepper, oregano & basil, add a can of pureed tomatoes and simmer down. Voila, you've made pizza sauce.

As for dough, it's a lot of fun. I've found I get the best results using a foccacia dough, but making it a fair bit drier than the recipe calls for; regular foccacia is very wet and sticky, while pizza dough is fairly dry.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2010, 09:26:19 am »

Oh I know how to make sauce, I just don't want to add another hour to the 3 hour process of making this :P Ma's good ole' fashion sauce has to stew for an hour or so.

Making the dough is gonna RULE though. I'm just going with the standard bread flour mentioned in that video, with a few of my own seasonings. I love foccacia, but I'm not an artisan bread maker by any extent of the imagination.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2010, 09:33:23 am »

Artisan? Foccacia!? It's dead simple, you don't even need to knead it, just mix it in a bowl, cover and leave to rise :P

Now, sourdough, THAT is artisan... it's something like 8-10 days to make a loaf from scratch, or 3 if you already have a wild yeast starter. I keep talking myself up to making it, but I always wimp out in the end.

Also, my dad made the best ribs ever tonight, I'm so finding and stealing that recipe. You apparently boil them for 30 mins, then coat them in a powder of ground thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, garlic, paprika, black pepper, salt and brown sugar. Then you baste them regularly with another sauce you make (no idea on the recipe though :( ) while they're under the grill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2010, 10:54:21 am »

Well my first run at dough was a disaster lol. It was an oozing gelatinous mass that barely qualified as un-kneaded dough. I probably got impatient and didn't fold the flour in well enough before I tried to throw it out on the counter.

Ah well. The second one turned out just right. Time to cut it, bast it with oil, and play some Adventure Mode while it rises!

Also~

You apparently boil them for 30 mins...

I know why it's done, but still, blegch. There are other ways to get the same effect without taking the essence right out of the meat :\
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:20:00 am by nenjin »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2010, 11:38:21 am »

Well my first run at dough was a disaster lol. It was an oozing gelatinous mass that barely qualified as un-kneaded dough. I probably got impatient and didn't fold the flour in well enough before I tried to throw it out on the counter.

Sounds like you just need more flour. Still, moot point now. Let us know how it turns out :P

You apparently boil them for 30 mins...

I know why it's done, but still, blegch. There are other ways to get the same effect without taking the essence right out of the meat :\

Eh, with that much spicing, the meat itself is pretty much impossible to taste anyway, so you don't really miss much. As it was, they were so soft and tender and oh god I need that damn recipe.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2010, 11:48:34 am »

Also, my dad made the best ribs ever tonight, I'm so finding and stealing that recipe. You apparently boil them for 30 mins, then coat them in a powder of ground thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, garlic, paprika, black pepper, salt and brown sugar. Then you baste them regularly with another sauce you make (no idea on the recipe though :( ) while they're under the grill.

I've never tried boiling first, but the secret to ribs (and most meats) is cook it slow and baste it often. Its possibly boiling will cook it faster to start with so you don't have to do it so long overall to get that melt in the mouth soft meat.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:41 pm »

To sum up the secret of ribs is to somehow in the cooking process... make them tender

and I agree. All the best ribs I've had in my life were ones I could easily remove right from the bone.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2010, 01:09:03 pm »

I was taught ribs at 175ish for a few hours will get them to "fall off the bone" tender pretty easily. You gotta do all your seasoning and marinade first though, and you don't get basting, since you have to foil seal them to keep them moist over several hours of cooking.

I'm a little worried about my dough, I got it as thin as I was comfortable with and it didn't exactly sit unstressed in the spring form pan. 1 and 2/3rds cup flour was not enough to make a dough that would line a 10" pan. With as much filling that goes into a stuffed pizza, kinda afraid the dough won't take it. :\ At least it wasn't torn when it went in, that I could see.

I don't have a camera so I'm afraid you folks are SOL on the results. But for reference it's the heart attack special: spicy pepperoni, sliced portabella mushrooms, black olives, provolone, fresh mozzarella, Parmesan and cream cheese :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:12:18 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »

It was orgasmically good. The crust held up like a champ. It might have been slightly underdone, and didn't leave much of an impact, but mmmmmm, man, that thing was tasty.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2010, 09:32:51 pm »

It was orgasmically good. The crust held up like a champ. It might have been slightly underdone, and didn't leave much of an impact, but mmmmmm, man, that thing was tasty.

Yeah, the dough will always be a little soggy in the middle unless you use a perforated pizza pan or a preheated pizza stone.

I was taught ribs at 175ish for a few hours will get them to "fall off the bone" tender pretty easily. You gotta do all your seasoning and marinade first though, and you don't get basting, since you have to foil seal them to keep them moist over several hours of cooking.

That may work, but the method we used still had them melt-in-your-mouth tender, and they were cooked in about an hour total. Either way, delicious :P

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »

Oh, so this is where we talk about making food?

For many weeks I have been making rye bread from pre-mixed packages of flour, seeds and yeast that can be bought in stores around Denmark. In Denmark, rye bread is a pretty big deal and being able to bake it instead of buy it makes such a tremendous difference. Not only do the flour mixes taste miles better than what you can buy in the store, they're also dirt cheap compared to finished rye bread from stores. The bread I can bake with flour mixes bought on discount is cheaper than the filthiest discount junk bread that I can find on the store shelves.

But this only applies for when I can find the mixes on discount, when they're not on discount they're mediocrely priced, not being excessively cheap. So that made me take the final leap. Making the bread from scratch.

And that's sour dough and all that jazz. I've had the sour dough sitting for 6 days now, made from honey and flour, and according to the recipe I'm using it should be good to use. I'm excited to see how well it turns out.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »

Making kabocha curry today.  Hopefully it won't make me sick, this time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:44 pm »

Good on you Miggy! Make sure to keep a portion of the starter alive when you're done, so you can make future loaves a hell of a lot faster.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11