Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arranging an unfortunate 'accident'.  (Read 2091 times)

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
Arranging an unfortunate 'accident'.
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:17:53 am »

Well, I've been following some tutorials lately to get the grips of dwarf fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0) but unfortunately one of my dwarves has been possessed.
I had a little look on the wiki, and it seems that this isn't the most brilliant strange mood, and I don't really feel like giving him what he wants. However, I've heard that if you don't, he goes crazy and kills people.
So I'm wondering what the best way to create an 'unfortunate accident' would be. I'm reasonably early on in my fortress though, so is there a easy and mostly low tech way to make sure his creation is...never finished! Muhahahahaha! *ahem*
Any suggestions?
"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, Scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True? You've run a maze like a good little rat, but no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little." - Sheogorath, Oblivion.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Arranging an unfortunate 'accident'.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:19 am »

If he is in a workshop and demanding materials you don't have, and you don't want to or can't meet his demands, simply build a wall around the workshop.  He will eventually go insane, and then some time after that will die of thirst or starvation.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:28:48 am »

With this method, is there a chance that there will be a tantrum spiral?
"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, Scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True? You've run a maze like a good little rat, but no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little." - Sheogorath, Oblivion.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:31:55 am »

With this method, is there a chance that there will be a tantrum spiral?
This depends on how well-liked the dwarf is, and how happy the rest of your dwarves are.  If nobody in your fortress likes the dwarf in question, don't worry about it.  If he's well-liked, all his friends will get upset when he dies.   What happens then depends on how happy they are otherwise.  If your dwarves are all generally happy a single friend dying shouldn't tip you into a tantrum spiral.  If everyone is on the edge of tantruming already it might.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:58:57 am »

Unfortunately he wants shells which I can't get, since for some unknown reason, none of my builders are building the fishery.
Is the skill for building 'architecture'? Because if it isn't, that would explain why my builders are being lazy.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:25 pm »

If you press 'q' and move the cursor over the building, it will tell you what skill is needed to build it.  But a fishery is only going to do you any good if your fisherdwarves can catch raw turtles in your local ponds, which is not guarenteed.  You could always use to raw file hack that lets you use hooves or horns or something as shell for moods instead.

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:06:37 pm »

Bad news. All I'm catching is toads. And it turns out that you need fishing skill to build it, and my fishing skill dwarf is busy...fishing.
Looks like Urist Mcposessed is gonna starve.
By the way, if architecture doesn't construct buildings, what exactly does it do?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:09:45 pm by Soulwithlife »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:09:50 pm »

Bad news. All I'm catching is turtles. And it turns out that you need fishing skill to build it, and my fishing skill dwarf is busy...fishing.
Looks like Urist Mcposessed is gonna starve.
If your fisherdwarf is catching turtles, then you're set.  Just enable the fish cleaning skill on any random idle dwarf to get the fishery built.

[quote ]By the way, if architecture doesn't construct buildings, what exactly does it do?
[/quote]
Architecture builds, bridges, supports, and certain other non-workshop buidings.

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that crazy dwarves would trigger cage traps.  You could keep them in them for a while without them dying, and avoid having other dwarves get sad/angry over the death.

But that might have changed.
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:01:01 am »

Well, Urist Mcposessed is dead (though it took ages for him to die) but just as he died, a guy got a fey mood!
I decided that I was going to give the fey mood guy what he wanted this time, but then he demanded metal bars, when he decided to take over the metalsmith's forge. Unfortunately, I don't have another anvil handy, so looks like he's going to die too.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and when I learn to build traps I'll give Mynoris' method a go.

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 06:06:01 am »

Well, Urist Mcposessed is dead (though it took ages for him to die) but just as he died, a guy got a fey mood!
I decided that I was going to give the fey mood guy what he wanted this time, but then he demanded metal bars, when he decided to take over the metalsmith's forge. Unfortunately, I don't have another anvil handy, so looks like he's going to die too.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and when I learn to build traps I'll give Mynoris' method a go.

Hang on...the smelter is where you get more metal bars from, not the forge...so why do you need another anvil?  I guess I'm not quite awake yet.
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:10:32 am »

You are correct. He doesn't need another forge.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:19:27 am »

Yhea just make shure you have magma or coal and a smelter and melt some ores.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Soulwithlife

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 09:49:33 am »

I've been doing a tutorial so I'm really just learning how to do stuff. Since I haven't got onto the tutorial about magma and coal yet, I don't know how to get some yet.
It's a little early for some fun. I'd rather not flood my fortress with magma while trying to funnel some to my smelter this early on.

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:11 am »

Use charcoal instead.  You don't have to mess with magma.  Build a wood furnace and a normal smelter, make some charcoal in the wood furnace, and use the charcoal to smelt some ore to bars in the smelter.

You want this guy to survive, especially if he is a weaponsmith or armorsmith.  Legendary metalworkers of any sort are incredibly difficult to get otherwise.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*
Pages: [1] 2