Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I attack with bow and arrows?  (Read 1319 times)

Kodama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I attack with bow and arrows?
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:22:28 am »

I've read the Wiki/commands manual and guides but couldn't find anything on how to attack an enemy with a bow and arrows. I did figure out how to throw arrows, but that did nothing except bruise the skin and anger the deer enough to back-kick me and tear one of my arteries - killing me. :o

Sorry for asking such a newb question.  :'(

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: How do I attack with bow and arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:26:06 am »

Have the bow in your hands, the arrows in a quiver or your pack, and press (f) to fire.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kodama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:48:23 am »

Have the bow in your hands, the arrows in a quiver or your pack, and press (f) to fire.

Hmm.

I've been pressing (f) and selecting the deer, but after I hit enter nothing happens. I do appear to be losing arrows.. but other than that I'm not getting any announcements/descriptions or anything. Am I just missing the deer?  ???

Thanks for the response. Oh, I should note that this is my first time playing this mode  :P

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:19 am »

Hmm, it's entirely possible that you're missing. If you were out of ammo, for example, you would get a message to that effect.

Actually, the deer probably isn't hostile to you, so you can't hit it. Go up to it and punch it in the snout, then flee to a safe distance and fill it with arrows.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kodama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:39:50 am »

Hmm, it's entirely possible that you're missing. If you were out of ammo, for example, you would get a message to that effect.

Actually, the deer probably isn't hostile to you, so you can't hit it. Go up to it and punch it in the snout, then flee to a safe distance and fill it with arrows.

Ahh, that did the trick :)

Thanks for the help!

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 01:53:01 pm »

You might be playing Elf.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »

Actually, I had a problem with a human adventurer involving wildlife not attacking me or running in fear, ever, I had to start all the fights from melee range. They wouldn't even help each other, just stand there and watch.
It was in an old version though, 31.04 maybe, and I haven't seen it since, though that doesn't necessarily say it couldn't still happen on occasion.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 03:27:44 pm »

If wildlife runs away that's okay. But if it ignores you, then you will not target it too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository