Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103791 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2011, 01:05:09 pm »

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for without artificially and/or manually modifying the world after it is generated.

If you want a perfect cube feature, above ground, I don't think the worldgen code is capable of generating that on its own.

In other words, if you want a certain number of z-levels that are vertical, then a receding slope above that, you can probably get close to that.  Certainly, 3 or 4 perfectly vertical Z-levels are within the realm of possibility, especially on the side of above-ground volcano tubes. 
If you want a cube (vertical face cliff with a perfectly flat top) of any height, I'm dubious it's possible without hacking the world after the generation.  How many vertical Z-levels do you want?

Normally I wouldn't ask why you want it, because it's none of my business and "because" is always an acceptable answer on these forums.   8)  But if you really want a vertical face of a certain height/depth, channeling down underground will definitely get you that.  You could, even artificially create such a thing in-game by building access ramps up to a working face of a steep slope and digging it out from top to bottom.

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »

First of all thanks for your interest.

The purpose was to build a fortress above extruding platforms (imagine large balconies), all of them connected by bridges, for the heck of it.

I'd be looking for about 7-8 Z-level cliffs, with bonus points if there are two of them facing each other (which was why I wanted the cliffs to be as many as possible.
A channeling is also possible, but it's time consuming (although it gives materials for building), and a natural wall just felt better. That's about it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:18:28 pm by squishynoob »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2011, 01:55:55 pm »

Hm, I have been able to generate many extreme cliff canyons, typically with a river or brook at the bottom.  I'll endeavor to duplicate that and post the worldgen results.  Is the width of a brook too narrow and would it be a problem if it were at the bottom of the facing cliff faces?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2011, 02:30:03 pm »

Well the brook (4 tiles) is indeed a bit narrow, but the presence of it is not an issue.

Then again, I could widen the gap by channeling. A bit of it is ok.

If you manage to find a very deep cliff (make it 8-10 Z-levels) and post the specs, well thanks again ;)

JBlak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 12, 2011, 12:03:11 am »

Can somebody gen me an embark/world?

Evil
Volcano
Sedimentary Layer
Decent trees
Lots of Titans and megabeasts

Any advice on generating a fairly evil world, with still enough unevil room for civilization?
Shimbilagak

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 12, 2011, 06:23:55 pm »

Could I ask some advice on world generation?

I'm looking for a site with Untamed Wilds, in a tropical shrubland or forest(for Giant Tigers) or alternately a desert(for giant scorpions).  I'd like to have sedimentary layers, with good iron production, which is the real killer.  I can't seem to figure out how to locate these, or how to increase their frequency.  Clay is also nice, if anyone knows how to encourage its formation.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 12, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »

I just felt that this thread would be much more efficient if whoever started it would go through and label some links to various world types on the first page instead of us having to dig through all 28 in order to see if a world has been made to our spec's yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 12, 2011, 09:10:54 pm »

Can somebody gen me an embark/world?

Evil
Volcano
Sedimentary Layer
Decent trees
Lots of Titans and megabeasts

Any advice on generating a fairly evil world, with still enough unevil room for civilization?

Most of that is pretty easy.  If you don't care what TYPE of trees, even easier.

This is a df-mode playable completely evil world, 33x33 with 100 volcanoes, lots of trees, 3 dragons, 2 rocs, 2 hydras, 10 titans, 1,089 cave dragons, and 31,737 goblins:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can't help with the sedimentary layer part, but hey, nobody's perfect. ;)

JBlak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:29 am »

Can't help with the sedimentary layer part, but hey, nobody's perfect. ;)

Can you change the x or y variance of something so the differenc between layers will be greater?
Shimbilagak

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 13, 2011, 10:25:46 am »

Can you change the x or y variance of something so the differenc between layers will be greater?

Feel free to try it, I'm not personally aware of any parameters that can reliably produce particular metals or stone.  Each worldgen seems pretty random regarding the underground portion.  But, anything is possible!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 13, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »

First of all thanks for your interest.

The purpose was to build a fortress above extruding platforms (imagine large balconies), all of them connected by bridges, for the heck of it.

I'd be looking for about 7-8 Z-level cliffs, with bonus points if there are two of them facing each other (which was why I wanted the cliffs to be as many as possible.
A channeling is also possible, but it's time consuming (although it gives materials for building), and a natural wall just felt better. That's about it.

If you're still searching, and don't mind living over a lake or ocean, then the areas where mountains meet lakes and oceans are often just as extreme as where rivers cut canyons through the land, so I'd suggest a world with a lot of rainfall and many river start locations, higher than average but not necessarily max elevation variance and elevation meshes weighted more heavily toward the 1-20 and 80-100 ranges, erosion disabled, and plenty of mountains. Lakes will usually form in the middle of mountain ranges anyway, and the edges of these where the lakes, mountains, and a small sliver of embark-possible land in a corner meet will often make for very steep and tall cliffs, and fun embarks. Same goes for oceans, so always watch out for mountain ranges directly adjacent to an ocean.
But really, finding a lot of huge, landlocked cliffs isn't going to happen. At most I've found 5-7 story cliffs at the edge of a mountain range, with plenty of little trails of ramps leading to the valley floor, and not much was rock anyway. Volcano calderas are a good bet though, since they can be sunken to ground level within the cone, with a perfectly vertical shaft to the top.
I once found a ~50 z-level drop from high mountains into the ocean on an island world. I may have posted it somewhere in this thread, but otherwise couldn't replicate it right now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DwarfRaiden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 14, 2011, 01:32:52 am »

Morning guys,

is there a way to confirm a metal is present in any embark area? I read here about some pre-embark screen, you mean the "find desired location" filter and its results? But that gives me only Shallow metal(/s) and Deep Metal(/s). Doesn't say the ground is filled with tetrahedrite and galena... For that I always have to embark, 'reveal' and 'prospect'.

and its painfull to abandon the fortress after that and start a new filter search and again and again.. and especially if the process involves placing notes onto the map itself where I've been looking already...

Is there any other way to find me iron and flux in one go?

Flavio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2011, 10:12:18 am »

I got a place with iron, flux, coal, sand, clay (although not fire clay), semi-flat and with a natural waterfall (only 2 z-levels), also savage and bening. Although in the world you can manage some good and evil regions. Don't have a volcano, but the magma sea is just 36 z-levels down.

Spoiler: DFProspector (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WorldGen Parameters (click to show/hide)

Site:

PS: It only have 2 caverns.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 04, 2011, 02:01:40 am »

Anyone got a relatively flat embark with surface magma [or a particularly close magma sea], sand of some variety, a good collection of wood, and a river?  Awesome metal deposits appreciated but not necessarily required, I'm just sick of huge cliffs that get my dwarves running up and down a million z-levels and killing frame-rate with pathfinding failures [they're such dumb creatures sometimes]
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 04, 2011, 06:53:58 am »

I've always wanted a good or evil volcano next to an equally good/evil ocean. Imagine the creatures you'd get. Zombie sea serpents fighting skeletal imps, anyone?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29