Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103768 times)

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #390 on: July 03, 2011, 08:00:16 am »

How can you find the seeds for a world? I've found a really, really nice spot:

Flat glacier with a rising volcano in one corner 53 levels high. However, the mountain only takes up one quarter of the screen horizontally and half the screen vertically (that is, in the y-direction). The glacier is one tile thick, allowing easy farming. It's nearly the perfect non-flat volcano-glacier combo, except that the mountain extends one embark tile too far vertically.

It also has trade with humans and elves, and there are plenty of goblins around.

Also, if anyone can find a similar place, except that the mountain doesn't go  far, please tell me. Especially if the mountain has less ice in it...
=Uncool-

Basically, you need to go into legends for the world, and from there export the world data. Make a copy of your world, abandon the fortress and go into legends. Once in legends mode, hit 'p'. The world gen parameters will be put in the Dwarf Fortress directory as a text file.

-Tiv
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 14, 2011, 03:55:51 pm »

How can you find the seeds for a world? I've found a really, really nice spot:

Flat glacier with a rising volcano in one corner 53 levels high. However, the mountain only takes up one quarter of the screen horizontally and half the screen vertically (that is, in the y-direction). The glacier is one tile thick, allowing easy farming. It's nearly the perfect non-flat volcano-glacier combo, except that the mountain extends one embark tile too far vertically.

It also has trade with humans and elves, and there are plenty of goblins around.

Also, if anyone can find a similar place, except that the mountain doesn't go  far, please tell me. Especially if the mountain has less ice in it...
=Uncool-

Basically, you need to go into legends for the world, and from there export the world data. Make a copy of your world, abandon the fortress and go into legends. Once in legends mode, hit 'p'. The world gen parameters will be put in the Dwarf Fortress directory as a text file.

-Tiv
Code: [Select]
Created in DF v0.31.18.

[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:GLACIAL]
[SEED:1075530798]
[HISTORY_SEED:818993475]
[NAME_SEED:3977653243]
[CREATURE_SEED:1657227698]
[DIM:129:129]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1274]
[END_YEAR:5]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:2:50]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:100:350:1500:1500]
[RAINFALL:0:100:200:200]
[TEMPERATURE:-25:-25:200:200]
[DRAINAGE:80:100:200:200]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:3200:3200]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:200:200]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:5:1:0:0:0:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:2:4:0:0:0:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:1:0:0:0:1]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:5]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:30]
[TITAN_NUMBER:30]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:28]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_NUMBER:5]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:300:100:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:800:100:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:0]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:200]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:10000:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:400:100]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:0]
[SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:70]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:10]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:70]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:10]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:50]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:-1]
[SITE_CAP:-1]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
=Uncool-

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 03, 2011, 03:44:13 am »

My fellow dwarves, I have a request:
does anyone have I fine embark location with an extreme smooth cliff? I'd pretty much like to carve an epic fortress on it's face. Volcano and a river would be a nice bonus.

DwarfRaiden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 06, 2011, 03:07:49 am »

Hello Fellow constructors, I'm having a huge problem with world generation and that si finding a world that I would like.

THe problem is the distribution of metals/stones in the map. I hate when a map does contain metal/ore clusters in every map tile (i mean the 1x1 tile in say 4x4 map)in a given z-level with large oval shaped clusters per every tile. I totally hate it to reveal the map and see 16 oval shaped clusters per z-level.
Is there any other way to mitigate this rather than generating ultra tiny biomes and finding a spot that has this variety (ie biomes 1x1 with no metals scattered around some that do have metals in the deep) by itself?

And if this is the only one, can someone post a suggestion onto how to attain this kind of world (otherwise basically general world)?

Second thing, how to generate waterfalls, and how to actually locate them? I know TABbing while inspecting the site before embark, but even though i follow rivers up the mountain, tehy do stay at the same z-level eveyrwhere i looked! Weird.

THanks for advice.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 06, 2011, 07:12:10 am »

I need advice on how to creater FLATTER worlds. Not necessary flat ones, but I always embark on volcanos and would like to avoid having a 50 z-level high volcano that makes sure that I will have nowhere near the required flat land in the embark zone. Also, is it possible to somehow change the magma sea so that it covers the whole layer above the semi-molten rock and does not allow for anything but the adamantium tubes to connect with the stone layers?

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 06, 2011, 10:07:30 am »

elevation mesh size ... if it is bigger (like 16*16) it makes quite nice flat embark places ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2011, 02:48:59 am »

I need advice on how to creater FLATTER worlds. Not necessary flat ones, but I always embark on volcanos and would like to avoid having a 50 z-level high volcano that makes sure that I will have nowhere near the required flat land in the embark zone.

Having this same difficulty. I've reached the point where I generate a world almost completely flat, except for the required peaks and surrounding mountains, and sudden spires of mountain wherever a volcano forms.  Are flat volcanoes just completely impossible now?

A Miner Deity

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »

I enjoyed this game a lot more before the world gen was changed.  Spending 5 or 6 hours trying to gen a world I could get in 5 minutes in 31.18 is not my idea of 'fun'.  That is all.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2011, 07:25:01 pm »

I need advice on how to creater FLATTER worlds. Not necessary flat ones, but I always embark on volcanos and would like to avoid having a 50 z-level high volcano that makes sure that I will have nowhere near the required flat land in the embark zone.

Having this same difficulty. I've reached the point where I generate a world almost completely flat, except for the required peaks and surrounding mountains, and sudden spires of mountain wherever a volcano forms.  Are flat volcanoes just completely impossible now?

Nope, I've encountered lots of them and even posted two in this thread.
You just have to persevere and generate maps with 100+ volcanos, you will find one sooner or later.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2011, 07:49:09 pm »

Second thing, how to generate waterfalls, and how to actually locate them? I know TABbing while inspecting the site before embark, but even though i follow rivers up the mountain, tehy do stay at the same z-level eveyrwhere i looked! Weird.

Try genning a world with an extreme elevation x and y variance, as well as extreme max and min elevations.  make sure to allow more subregions to avoid excessive rejections on the resultant patchwork map.

also, look for points where rivers merge.  one will usually fall into the others.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 03, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »

~29 Z level waterfall in a terrifying biome. Most of the map is a plateau with the edges on the outskirts of the map. Iron and coal are abundant and platinum/silver are also present. Unfortunately there is no flux. If you embark like I have done in the picture there is some tetrahedrite in the top left corner as well. Zombie alligators and hippos are present at embark too so be prepared.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, there is a dwarven civ in the shape of a cross. Seems perfect for a Crusades style fort where "paladins were sent to cleanse the land of zombies."

It's nothing too special but I know waterfalls are in pretty high demand.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:15:05 pm by PwndJa »

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 08, 2011, 06:36:36 am »

Sorry but i cant see your picture. where did you embark?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 24, 2011, 04:12:23 pm »

*looks around suspiciously*
*does arcane gestures on the motionless thread*

I also run into the problems of making high cliffs.

And by cliffs I mean _cliffs_, not "steep slopes". Basically lots of walls.
I've set:

Elevation X/Y-Variance: 3200
Erosion cycle count: 0
Minimum rivers pre-erosion: 0
Desired rivers post-erosion: 0
Periodically erode extreme cliffs: No

And still no luck. The actual cliffs are tiny, 4x2 maximum. All the rest are steep slopes (with ramps)

Spoiler: world_gen entry (click to show/hide)

Any way or idea?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:13:54 pm by squishynoob »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 24, 2011, 08:00:44 pm »

Would this be something like what you're looking for, squishy?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 25, 2011, 03:38:00 am »

I found some cliffs (like canyons) where rivers are, so that helped a bit.

Aside from that I don't really know where to look for...

Looking in the map for "extreme cliffs" only leads me to the aforementioned steep slopes.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29