Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103797 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #345 on: April 23, 2011, 03:34:33 pm »

Can you lay rivers down in APerfectWorldDF?  I've been trying to gen a massive waterfall (20+ z-levels, 20+tile width river as the falling river), and i can't seem to get it to happen.  Rivers seem determine their own depth rather than following elevation contours, and even flow 'uphill' (not really, they stay level, but the downstream direction is straight into the massive upland area).  So even by trying to force large rivers to form high up and then drop a long distance before reaching the sea I can't force a large waterfall or even necessarily any waterfalls.

Hand draw the world in a photo editor, maybe do some erosion using Wilbur (a height-field editor). Make one big uplands area, one big lowlands area, have all the valleys in the upland area feed into one big valley, have all the valleys in the lowland area feed into one, have the one big valley from the uplands area feed into the one big valley from the lowlands area. You should get a pretty big waterfall where the two big valleys meet. Using Wilbur to pre-erode your maps will ensure that the rivers in DF mostly follow the valleys eroded with Wilbur's "incise flow" operation.

Using GIMP, Wilbur, and Perfect World, you can make some very interesting worlds. I made one island with a single main river spiraling out from the center. Another time I made a 'grand canyon' with deeply eroded mesas, and I also like making small maps that are all twisty, branching fjords.

Full of pine forests.

I like pine for the fjords.

Gurkie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »

Not too many 31.25 sites in this thread yet. Has anyone found any particularly interesting places they'd share for the current version?

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2011, 07:42:33 am »

bump for future reference

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2011, 10:30:46 am »

How can I tone down the number of humans (and elves) in my worlds?

I am constantly generating worlds with tens of thousands of humans and elves, but only hundreds of dwarfs, goblins and kobolds.

If someone is interested in my world_gen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2011, 02:11:48 pm »

I didn't look at the whole thing carefully, but dwarves need mountains which need elevations above 300. Try cranking up the weights on the highest elevation range.

Elves need forests, and humans need plains and hills, so you can also reduce the number of those by getting rid of those things. Check the wiki for what parameters contribute to those biome types.

Corbine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 02, 2011, 08:03:42 am »

Anyone have any luck generating worlds with sheer flat cliff faces?

I'm attempting to find a site that resembles the old dwarf fortress 2d map, but unfortunately even with Perfect World I end up generating not cube mountains or cliff faces, but sloping gentle edges for mountains even with no erosion.
hat

Mysterius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 02, 2011, 12:53:37 pm »

I found a curious spot for 31.25: a volcano below the surface of a lake. After several minutes and many "cavern collapse" messages from water flowing into the crater, the situation stabilizes due to an obsidian plug forming a few levels down. The embark has pretty much everything: iron and flux, most other metals including ~6k adamantine, clay and fire clay. There is, sadly, no upright spoiler as well as no sand and no coal or lignite, but since it's a savage tropical freshwater marsh plus volcano, fuel would not be a problem. Oh, and it's flat. The lake has an aquifer, the swamp does not.

In case anyone is interested, here's the data:

And the location:

An old trick I learned on this forum for those who want sand on the map would be to switch the locations of the sand of your choice and Loamy Sand (which the embark has) in the inorganic_stone_soil.txt file, gen the world, and then optionally switch the main raw file back -- the region folder will keep the modified file and should have sand.

EDIT: Just tried the trick and it didn't work for me anymore. Grr. Still, I think I may try this embark even without sand.

Okay, i just tried this one and : this is the most EPIC site i've seen in 2 years of DF. I used dfhack to reveal the map and, aside from the epicness of the site, it's incredibly rich : a lot of hematite/limonite/marble to make steel, virtually infinite gold and silver and a large chunk of plain rock between -4 and -9 to build the fortress.

Best. Site. Ever.

Watch the list of minerals and cry (i had to cut 2 or 3 unremarkable materials at the top because the list was too big...). This is for a 5*5 embark.

Oh, and there's an aquifer below the lake, so it's possible to drain it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 01:07:01 pm by Mysterius »

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2011, 02:32:59 pm »

I'm attempting to find a site that resembles the old dwarf fortress 2d map, but unfortunately even with Perfect World I end up generating not cube mountains or cliff faces, but sloping gentle edges for mountains even with no erosion.

Did you turn off "periodically erode extreme cliffs"?

Corbine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »

Yep.  Still only get ramps and valleys everywhere unfortunately.
hat

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2011, 09:46:10 pm »

Well, if you figure it out let me know. I tried to create a "canyon world" a while back and couldn't get it to work.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 03, 2011, 08:00:05 am »

I'm glad someone likes that site. :)

And I get a lot of "cube mountains" especially when volcanos are involved. No special settings, erosion stays on. Curious.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 07, 2011, 05:47:28 pm »

I found a curious spot for 31.25: a volcano below the surface of a lake. After several minutes and many "cavern collapse" messages from water flowing into the crater, the situation stabilizes due to an obsidian plug forming a few levels down. The embark has pretty much everything: iron and flux, most other metals including ~6k adamantine, clay and fire clay. There is, sadly, no upright spoiler as well as no sand and no coal or lignite, but since it's a savage tropical freshwater marsh plus volcano, fuel would not be a problem. Oh, and it's flat. The lake has an aquifer, the swamp does not.

In case anyone is interested, here's the data:

And the location:

An old trick I learned on this forum for those who want sand on the map would be to switch the locations of the sand of your choice and Loamy Sand (which the embark has) in the inorganic_stone_soil.txt file, gen the world, and then optionally switch the main raw file back -- the region folder will keep the modified file and should have sand.

EDIT: Just tried the trick and it didn't work for me anymore. Grr. Still, I think I may try this embark even without sand.

Okay, i just tried this one and : this is the most EPIC site i've seen in 2 years of DF. I used dfhack to reveal the map and, aside from the epicness of the site, it's incredibly rich : a lot of hematite/limonite/marble to make steel, virtually infinite gold and silver and a large chunk of plain rock between -4 and -9 to build the fortress.

Best. Site. Ever.

Watch the list of minerals and cry (i had to cut 2 or 3 unremarkable materials at the top because the list was too big...). This is for a 5*5 embark.

Oh, and there's an aquifer below the lake, so it's possible to drain it.

OMG!
I've never played a fort long enough to get Addy before and I got some in 15 SECONDS because of a cave-in. 8)
SO HAPPY!

Btw, anyone know if there's a way to get certain biomes to have certain savagery and evil?
Like, can I create joyous wilds forests and evil volcanoes?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 05:52:14 pm by Ganondwarf »

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 07, 2011, 07:25:58 pm »

Figured I'd post this here since I'm having no luck generating it. Has anyone been able to gen a spot like the following and if so please share:

#scorching desert
#flat
#volcano
#river if possible
#flux

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2011, 09:04:32 pm »

Btw, anyone know if there's a way to get certain biomes to have certain savagery and evil?
Like, can I create joyous wilds forests and evil volcanoes?

You can only place evil/good biomes based on region size, so unless you do something like make all the forest regions "large" and make the high volcanism regions overlap with some sort of "small" regions, then turn up the number of "large region" good squares, set the large region evil squares and small region good squares to 0, and turn up the small region evil squares....

You might have to use the world painter to set this up. Trying to do it otherwise would be pretty hard I think. Of course if you use the world painter I think maybe you can just paint good/evil. (I can't remember because I never use the world painter.)

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »

Looking for:

An otherwise completely flat glacier with a volcano such that the magma of the volcano is above the glacier, and therefore has a mountain. However, the mountain from the volcano cannot hit halfway across a 4x4 embark square (which is what I plan to have).

Also, must have trade with dwarves, humans, and elves.

I've found something satisfying the first paragraph a few times, and once one that satisfied both, but unfortunately lost that one due to switching computers.
=Uncool-
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29