Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103814 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 15, 2011, 01:03:54 am »

First number is the amount of small evil regions.  The second is medium evil regions... can you guess what the third does?

That's right, large evil regoins.  I usually zero that out so I don't have huge sprawling evil oceans or something.   I like my evil contained where I can kill it
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2011, 06:22:27 pm »

Here is an interesting site i found, created in 31.22.

4x4 embark with:
 - running water (stream)
 - surface reaching magma pipe (volcano)
 - abundance of iron bearing ore, flux and fuel
 - plenty of wood
 - clay, sand, at least one bee colony and obviously obsidian
 - very steep cliffs

As i was looking for steep cliffs in the first place, there is only one cavern layer to cut down on the sub-surface Z levels. The site is still 150+ Z levels high, so there is no shortage of stone. The magma pipe of the volcano goes up about 60Z high and the topmost point of the mountain is another 60Z more from that point, so yea. Maybe the only and biggest drawback of the site is that it will take a rather powerful PC to run. Franky, you can cut it down to a 4x3 embark if you want to and still retain all the above mentioned features, you will have less rock to mine tho, as those bottom 4 tiles are responsible for a big chunk of the rock you can find in this site. (that area being 120 Z high and stuff)

The site has a wilderness biome for the mountains and an wilderness/calm for the surrounding lowlands. (or so i seem to remember) Climate is mid-range.

edit: I also genned the map in 31.21 to be able to see below the surface. It only has two spires of spoilerite and the whole underground structure is rather bland, but i guess that was to be expected. :) You just can't have everything perfect at the same time.

The worldgen code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark image:

Prospecting: (when genned from 31.21)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:43:18 pm by csebal »

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2011, 03:13:19 pm »

Can anyone help me get an embark with a large flat area to build a fortress on, magma for forges and the dependencies to make steel? Or maybe if one has been posted on this thread I might have missed it.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 30, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »

I thought it might be good to mention in this thread that I'm trying to improve the advanced world gen docs on the wiki and I have a bunch of questions about some of the more obscure parameters that I don't understand.

See this thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80995.0

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2011, 12:56:35 pm »

Easy. Adamantium spires reach at least up to the magma sea and no further than the lowest cavern so if you have three caverns then you want to set the levels below layer 5 to something large 100 being the max (this will give you 100 level spires embedded in complete layers of semi molten rock). Then for a possible bonus set levels below layer 4 to something large and the spires may or may not extend up into those layers. Using this technique i've had 4x4 embarks with 10k+ adamantine. Which is more than you could ever use.

I've put this on the wiki, cause this tip is worth it's weight in, well... Adamantium.
But I need some more tricks like this to make the page work.
Could you guys add some of the other good tips from this tread?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Worldgen_Tricks

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:16 pm »

Increasing the number of levels above layer 5 may also increase your chance of getting surface adamantine.

I got a volcano embark (4x4 or 5x5 I think) on 0.31.25 with no fewer than 7 :D spires of adamantine on the surface. FPS is around 50-70 at embark with 10000 embark points of stuff, 4 animals.

The embark was on a volcano across a mostly good-aligned tropical shrubland region. I increased the volcanism rejection range to expedite worldgen.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 11, 2011, 05:54:14 pm »

Something worth noting.... I don't think you need PerfectWorld to get the desired variance in volcanism, though maybe PerfectWorld does a better job. I've had reasonable luck with that by simply maxing out the volcanism variance values.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »

Here is flat volcanic/river embark for .25.

It has a variety of metals including iron and a fair amount of gold. Flux is available but you will have to dig quite far down to get to it. I guess the surroundings will vary from computer to computer so you might find your embark in anything from Serene to terrifying.

Embark Location

World Gen Parameters

Minerals (on the 4x4 embark)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:28:45 pm by Sir Crashalot »

krescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2011, 11:16:52 pm »

Hello,

I'm a complete newb. Just started playing a couple days ago but I have already put in a TON of hours to this damn addicting game.

Anyway, it's clear to me now that sedimentary layers are very tough to find in .25...

questions:
is it possible to use world parameters that were genned in earlier versions?
anyone have some good flux+sediment+water+mountain+wood parameters? for the new version?

slim pickins so far---i like my dwarves to be in a mountain and not flatland...only makes sense to me

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2011, 11:58:11 pm »

You can depending on how old "old" is. I think some older versions are lacking some tokens that you might need to add manually.

For what you want, try out some sort of "patchwork" world parameter set:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Worldgen_examples#Patchwork

If you want more mountains then upward adjust the 80-100 weighted range for elevation.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 20, 2011, 03:08:41 am »

This was made using PerfectWorldDF, so the parameters are ignored. To get a waterfall on a volcano site, pretty much the entire world had to be hand-drawn. And for those who are interested; the trick to getting a waterfall is to have two rivers meet with each river starting and ending in vastly different elevations.

Can you lay rivers down in APerfectWorldDF?  I've been trying to gen a massive waterfall (20+ z-levels, 20+tile width river as the falling river), and i can't seem to get it to happen.  Rivers seem determine their own depth rather than following elevation contours, and even flow 'uphill' (not really, they stay level, but the downstream direction is straight into the massive upland area).  So even by trying to force large rivers to form high up and then drop a long distance before reaching the sea I can't force a large waterfall or even necessarily any waterfalls.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 20, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »

I found a curious spot for 31.25: a volcano below the surface of a lake. After several minutes and many "cavern collapse" messages from water flowing into the crater, the situation stabilizes due to an obsidian plug forming a few levels down. The embark has pretty much everything: iron and flux, most other metals including ~6k adamantine, clay and fire clay. There is, sadly, no upright spoiler as well as no sand and no coal or lignite, but since it's a savage tropical freshwater marsh plus volcano, fuel would not be a problem. Oh, and it's flat. The lake has an aquifer, the swamp does not.

In case anyone is interested, here's the data:

And the location:

An old trick I learned on this forum for those who want sand on the map would be to switch the locations of the sand of your choice and Loamy Sand (which the embark has) in the inorganic_stone_soil.txt file, gen the world, and then optionally switch the main raw file back -- the region folder will keep the modified file and should have sand.

EDIT 1: Just tried the trick and it didn't work for me anymore. Grr. Still, I think I may try this embark even without sand.
EDIT 2: Updated world gen a bit for more open caverns.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:51:05 am by Korva »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 20, 2011, 05:16:54 pm »

EDIT: Just tried the trick and it didn't work for me anymore. Grr. Still, I think I may try this embark even without sand.

Adding [SOIL_SAND] tags after you've embarked to the appropriate soil types will get you sand. I have tested this.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2011, 02:43:46 am »

Even better, thanks!

furiousj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 22, 2011, 01:26:26 pm »

Here is flat volcanic/river embark for .25.

It has a variety of metals including iron and a fair amount of gold. Flux is available but you will have to dig quite far down to get to it. I guess the surroundings will vary from computer to computer so you might find your embark in anything from Serene to terrifying.

Embark Location

World Gen Parameters

Minerals (on the 4x4 embark)

Could you upload the save? I've genned that world a few times and it always places the volcano in the lower left mountains.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29