Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103807 times)

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2011, 12:20:57 pm »

Ok, I think this is the right thread for it...
With the new release it was, once more, time for getting a map that satisfies my wishes (.18 was hard, but now with the changes in the embark screen it was even tougher to find a good side) I finally got a map that may be suitable until the time of the next version (even if finding an ideal map is somehow part of the fun for me, with all the changes with each version it has become somewhat a PITA now)...
And I just wanted to share that recipe (it does need to be continued four times during creation - somewhat around 4800 rejections):

Spoiler: recipe (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: embark map (click to show/hide)

I wouldn't use an embark lower then 6x6, choice of mine is either 8x8 or 9x9. The other 3 biomes not shown in the image are 2x shallow clay/very deep soil/aquifer/shallow&deep metal/flux and 1x just shallow clay/very deep soil/aquifer/flux. Bees and Bumblebees present. IMHO the trees could have been more dense but should be enough to get along. Sadly of the two dwarfen civs none got any bitumious coal and only the first can embark with lignite. (Yellow) Sand and Clay (Loam) enough, surface flux is limestone and the only metal i found so far is just copper ore, but I am just starting to dig into the (pretty steep) mountain.
As said, that one should do for now (as I expect the next releases to change the worldgen process again) and maybe some of you may find that side interessting also ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:24:40 pm by Shandra »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2011, 12:35:36 pm »

For those who cringe at the thought of what that admittedly awesome embark would do to their FPS I have a 3x3 with a ton of hematite, gold, clay, sand, flux, a deep metal I have not found yet and thick tropical forest. You can get a brook too. No volcano, but magma is only about 60z levels down.  It only has two cavern layers and isn't a big world as I designed the map specs for my not really high end PC. If anyone wants it, its yours for telling me where to find the worldgen seed.  :P
Memento Mori

superaub

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 19, 2011, 11:00:30 pm »

In data/init/ the file world_gen.txt should have all the info, if you saved your param set...

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 20, 2011, 06:26:12 pm »

And if not, [edit: of course not!:] Just [ESC]export image(s) should provide you with the worldgen recipe as a seperate file ;) (with the proper seeds for your world, wich wouldn't be saved, just noticed/displayed as last used, in the world generator - seeds AFAIK are not saved in world_gen.txt)...

agatharchides: and yes, please post the recipe - I must confess, with 40d and therefore my basic embarks where always 9x9 (and IMHO it was with the SDL version even playable on my TP T42p Laptop with a Ati FireGL), but the DF2010 branch is much slower on my systems (not playable on that laptop anymore, just nearly playable on my Desktop PCs... but luckily I now (since 2 weeks) have a new PC where (up to 40 dwarves so far) I can cope with a 8x8... but I always was a SimCity/RollercoasterTycoon/etc./Sandbox kind of player and can deal with a steady 20-40fps game (with times of interuptions in the 10-15fps range, damned I even played Quake1 on a DX4 100 with just a Matrox Millenium I)...

P.S.: My new PC is just a dual core AMD X2, my previous one was a single core AMD X64... that single core got 3Ghz, now my dual cores are each 3GHz - and having DF running on one of them, and other processes bound to the other is just a huge increase in speed to the previous system (ok, and DDR3 (4Gig) compared to DDR1 (2Gig) RAM may have some weight in that too (not really the amount, but the type))
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:08:49 pm by Shandra »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2011, 08:13:15 am »

just wondering: what worldgens would be nice to include in the Lazy Newb Pack? I have "Adventure mode - easy" and "Adventure mode - hard" worldgens, what else should I add?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2011, 02:39:01 pm »

.19's "eating in worldgen" could change a lot with pregened worlds from specific seeds. A warrior could save his life or doom his fortress by putting off combat to eat plump helmet biscuits, while such a thing would have never happened in older versions.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 08, 2011, 10:05:43 am »

I found an interesting site with .21

It does not have any sand or coal.

It does have lots of trees, clay, hematite, obsidian, marble, tetrahedrite, and loam soil.

5*5 embark  (can be 3*4 to get everything)

River [the start of a brook at least]

The biomes for the 5*5 (and the 3*4)
12 (7) squares of temperate wilderness mountain with shallow metals
4 (1)squares of temperate wilderness mountain with flux stone
5 (3)squares of temperate conifer forest wilderness with little soil, deep metals, and flux stone
4 (1)squares of temperate conifer forest wilderness with clay, little soil, and flux stone

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The worldgen is spoilered below.  All you need to do is a search for multiple shallow and multiple deep metals to find it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:07:33 am by Zifnab »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 08, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »

^Cool! Will try.
Anyone know of any good adventure mode worlds to include in the Lazy Newb Pack?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 09, 2011, 01:33:58 am »

Found an interesting site with .21. A completely flat field with a volcano in the middle of it with a stream (not a brook!) cutting past it. There is obsidian with iron ore in it EVERYWHERE. The entire cave layer is made out of it, as is the volcano ring on the surface.
Spoiler: Embark Map (click to show/hide)

There's only one cave layer with the settings I chose, but you can fiddle with the cave settings without effecting the map topography.
Spoiler: Gen Code (click to show/hide)

I'm still looking for a site with a volcano opening in the middle of a flat sand desert .21 compatible though. Obsidian and iron ore would be a plus.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 09, 2011, 02:41:07 am »

Question, Vanguard - How many rejections before it produces that world, and are you playing using any mods?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:43:16 am by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

pincushion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 09, 2011, 03:58:55 am »

Found an interesting site with .21. A completely flat field with a volcano in the middle of it with a stream (not a brook!) cutting past it. There is obsidian with iron ore in it EVERYWHERE. The entire cave layer is made out of it, as is the volcano ring on the surface.

I just generated this world no problem. 20 rejections.
The only thing is to make sure you set your civilization to the Basement Wings.
The other two choices don't have any dimple cups or cave wheat.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »

So it would seem that this thread is to get individual embark spots.  Is there a similar thread for just good world seeds?  Not for specific spots, just all around good worlds with lots of rivers, falls, evil spots, etc.?  There used to be, but I don't remember where it went.

Also, how do you increase the amount of evil spots with teh new world gen settings?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »

Also, how do you increase the amount of evil spots with teh new world gen settings?

The same way as the old world gen settings.  Just go into the advanced world settings and change the settings that mention evil to values somewhere in the range of 2-4 times higher than they start at.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 14, 2011, 08:44:31 pm »

The same way as the old world gen settings.  Just go into the advanced world settings and change the settings that mention evil to values somewhere in the range of 2-4 times higher than they start at.

Hrm...does it have a new name?  I went through the list three times last night and didn't see anything about evil (other than a mesh size, which I wasn't sure what it was so I left it alone).  The old values were done up as a min, medium, and max IIRC.  Or maybe it was low, middle, and evil (sinister, haunted, and terrifying).
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 14, 2011, 10:34:19 pm »

Well, if you go into the worldgen text document in the data/ini folder, you will locate this line

[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:24:244:0]

Just increase those numbers and save the file.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29