Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103803 times)

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »

Ok, so here is the mysterious construction I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. It's not perfect, but it's damn near close. It has:
- sediment/flux layer
- non-pillar volcano
- waterfall
- trade with all civilizations
- Sinister forests

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was made using PerfectWorldDF, so the parameters are ignored. To get a waterfall on a volcano site, pretty much the entire world had to be hand-drawn. And for those who are interested; the trick to getting a waterfall is to have two rivers meet with each river starting and ending in vastly different elevations.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2011, 07:32:17 pm »

Could you share the gen parameters?

Sorry, I'm busy throwing a tantrum at the moment. I've figured out a way to reliable make waterfalls on a certain tile by painting a certain pattern around it, and I thought all I had to do then was make those specific tiles 100% volcanism. As it turns out I was right in my suspicion: A volcano and waterfall cannot share the same area. I've generated dozens of worlds where the rivers will path right around the volcano every time; regardless of elevation or drainage.

So a site lite this with a volcano and a waterfall, or are you talking even closer together.

These sites become a lot more common when you go into the worldgen with a text editor and crank the volcanoes up to something like 1500.  You will have to accept rejections, and do some browsing of sites, but it shouldn't take too long.

This site is a 4*4 with volcano and 12 level waterfall.  There is also a 6*4 site with a volcano and a 25 level waterfall elsewhere in the world.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:37:16 pm by Zifnab »

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2011, 08:15:51 pm »

You can get all sorts of things right next to each other.

Find the volcano+flux post in the perfect world thread, I would think you can apply the volcanism hotspots method to lots of rivers.

bowie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2011, 04:03:05 am »

Here's Skyweb, a truly dramatic embark.  Features:
- Warm Desert climate
- Untamed Wilds CALM biome (oops)
- Very close proximity to a goblin town
- Sedimentary rock (chert, which for some reason I think is really cool)
- Flux (marble)
- Sand (of course), yellow
- Two waterfalls that bracket the embark point, dropping an amazing 13 z-levels into a major river canyon that is 46 tiles wide (!)

Somewhere down there is a magma pipe too.  I wish the canyon wasn't quite so wide but it took the entire day to come up with a setup like this that was more than 5 z-levels deep.  Enjoy!

Highlands:

Lowlands:

Worldgen settings:

Save file (6x6):
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pOeTpolySkwMKB7h82xRY3tXYepp79ThrIXAAAGTOqgYML62PwuzOYh-G7Hfs-OUS7bTyPTA7JMB2k8y0QmQFUw/Skyweb.zip?download&psid=1

update: I went back and looked at this region and it turned out the reason I was only ever getting camels was because the biome is CALM, oops.  Still a very cool embark location aside from the boring wildlife.

Just got an embark very similar:
- terrifying or haunted
- forest
- sedimentary rock and flux
- 1 waterfall that drops 15 Z-levels into...
- a major river canyon 46 tiles wide

if anyone wants to see it PM me and I'll upload the save here
Must... Eat... Demon... Rat ARGLEBLARGH *crash* OMNOMNOMNOM
Tastes.. like... SAAAAATAAAAAAAAN!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2011, 04:07:36 am »

You can get all sorts of things right next to each other.

Find the volcano+flux post in the perfect world thread, I would think you can apply the volcanism hotspots method to lots of rivers.

Could you link the post?

Also.. any luck with a volcano lakeside/seaside 3x3 embark with flux?
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Hoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:01 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.msg1424214#msg1424214 would be that post.

also I am looking for an .18 embark with an upright weapon and a sedimentary layer, as flat as possible. does anyone have one?
I just really cant be asked to comb the world for it one embark at a time, i thought maybe someone already hit one.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2011, 11:36:55 am »

Though it's kind of cheating, using DFREVEAL from the dfhack tools you could search for a layer.

Often there are layers of flux WAY deep.

If you use that post Hoan linked, it will hopefully give you ideas for importing a picture/making a custom map.  Try messing with the settings in PW a lot to extremes.

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2011, 02:48:04 pm »

Ok, so here is the mysterious construction I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. It's not perfect, but it's damn near close. It has:
- sediment/flux layer
- non-pillar volcano
- waterfall
- trade with all civilizations
- Sinister forests

This was made using PerfectWorldDF, so the parameters are ignored. To get a waterfall on a volcano site, pretty much the entire world had to be hand-drawn. And for those who are interested; the trick to getting a waterfall is to have two rivers meet with each river starting and ending in vastly different elevations.

I am dying to play on this embark...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE upload something... a save... parms...anything

Deep Thought

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2011, 12:25:44 pm »

I use this for almost all my embarks. Usually atleast one site with a brook and volcano next to eachother.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 17, 2011, 10:20:53 am »

What do I change in worldgen to reduce aquifers?

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2011, 01:41:10 am »

What do I change in worldgen to reduce aquifers?

Producing less ocean/lakes/rivers would probably help.. but taking the [AQUIFER] tags out of the raws (inorganic_stone_layer.txt) will remove them completely with no ill effects as far as I know.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:47:54 am by finesse »

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2011, 02:10:48 am »

I am dying to play on this embark...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE upload something... a save... parms...anything

I would upload it...but exactly what does the DF map archive mean by "export map layers as bmp files".

edit: Scratch that. I put it on Dwarf Fortress File Depot in the pregenerated worlds section under "Volcanoes and Waterfalls"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:18:15 am by AWellTrainedFerret »
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2011, 06:41:56 am »

Here's another question: Every once in a while I'll make a map that'll start to generate non-stop rejections due to "_____ region count fails" even though there are a shit-tonne of those specific biomes on the map. Also, I was under the impression that if you set all your region counts parameters to zero, you shouldn't get these rejections at all. Has anyone else encountered this?

If you let the worldgen run for about 10-20mins, it'll give you the option to ignore this: but when you're already genning a few hundred worlds due to the random things the parameters don't let you control those 10-20mins add up real quick.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:45:59 am by AWellTrainedFerret »
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:51 pm »

Why does everyone generate such thin worlds? And if you're gonna generate such thin worlds why do you need a volcano? The magma sea is only like 30-40 levels down, 20 if you only do one cavern. Also I've figured out how to generate massive pillars of adamantine.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 18, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »

Why does everyone generate such thin worlds? And if you're gonna generate such thin worlds why do you need a volcano? The magma sea is only like 30-40 levels down, 20 if you only do one cavern. Also I've figured out how to generate massive pillars of adamantine.

Share with us your secret!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29