Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103815 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2010, 03:03:54 pm »

Why is worldgen so incredibly slow suddenly? Especially when it creates history, it takes about 1 second for 3 years of history and when the generation stops at year 1050, it takes quite a while. Was faster earlier.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:05:29 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »

lucky
1 year every 3 minutes.

I haven't noticed slowdowns.  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2011, 08:04:04 am »

I've been trying to generate a world with some flat volcanoes that I can embark on, but so far im having some pretty bad luck.. they're all monstrous towering spires and the last world I generated ended up being 6000+ levels deep (it just kept on going past the magma layer), I got sick of going down after that.

I've looked at some other peoples worldgen files that had flat volcanoes but after applying mostly the same options it still doesn't work out :(

I might just settle for something else.

Also, is there any way to make sure you're at war with elves/humans when world gen finishes?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:20:10 am by finesse »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2011, 09:21:44 am »

how to cause war (requires adventure mode modding):

mod in human cities in entity_default
go in adventurer mode and attack a settlement as a dwarf, then lead them back (without quick-Traveling) and get the two settlements to fight.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 09, 2011, 01:24:43 am »

I've been working feverishly for 2weeks genning maps to try and get a Volcano and Waterfall within the same 5x5 embark. So for no luck. I'm starting to wonder if this combo is hard-coded never to happen. But other than that, I can create ANY world possible.

Here's a really bizarre one that happened when trying to maximize the chance of waterfalls by having a lot of high mountains gently sloping towards cliffs: It has all the valleys, but not a single river, stream, or brook in the entire world. This is with maximum rivers generated.

Warning! Huge image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:40:51 am by AWellTrainedFerret »
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 09, 2011, 02:06:54 am »

I've been working feverishly for 2weeks genning maps to try and get a Volcano and Waterfall within the same 5x5 embark. So for no luck. I'm starting to wonder if this combo is hard-coded never to happen. But other than that, I can create ANY world possible.

Here's a really bizarre one that happened when trying to maximize the chance of waterfalls by having a lot of high mountains gently sloping towards cliffs: It has all the valleys, but not a single river, stream, or brook in the entire world. This is with maximum rivers generated.

Warning! Huge image.

Could you share the gen parameters?

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »

Could you share the gen parameters?

Sorry, I'm busy throwing a tantrum at the moment. I've figured out a way to reliable make waterfalls on a certain tile by painting a certain pattern around it, and I thought all I had to do then was make those specific tiles 100% volcanism. As it turns out I was right in my suspicion: A volcano and waterfall cannot share the same area. I've generated dozens of worlds where the rivers will path right around the volcano every time; regardless of elevation or drainage.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2011, 05:41:13 pm »

Has anyone found a .18 gen with both Glumprongs and Phantom Spiders? I can get one or the other consistently, but not both (despite having both for a .12 fort). I figure it's just a matter of throwing more darts at the board, but I figure if one of y'all have a shortcut to the end result ready, why not ask for it?

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2011, 12:15:53 am »

Has anyone found a .18 gen with both Glumprongs and Phantom Spiders? I can get one or the other consistently, but not both (despite having both for a .12 fort). I figure it's just a matter of throwing more darts at the board, but I figure if one of y'all have a shortcut to the end result ready, why not ask for it?

This one has them veok, it's a nice area but no sand (not much of a problem)

I have a reasonably nice, FPS friendly 31.18 embark if anyone is interested.

Ground level volcano
River
Reasonably flat
Heavily forested (Tropical)
Untamed Wilds (Elephants and Alligators)
Flux (Marble) about 11 layers down.

On my initial embark there was a pond emtying into the volcano which caused the game to pause a few times with the collapsed message but as it emptied straigt down the pipe it caused no FPS/choppiness issues after. When I reembarked to test if my saved parameters worked the lake wasnt there.

Looking at his pic it doesn't look like it, but every time I generated it, it was a sinister area and definitely has both the spiders and tree you're after as Im still playing it now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:19:51 am by finesse »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All 3 Savage in one embark
« Reply #279 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:53 am »

A volcano... with major river... on the same map?! That's Awesome Beyond All Repair.

Not so. I've got hundreds if not thousands of such. Such sites are quite easy to make, so easy, that I won't even post maps about it anymore:
Just set your rivers to 800 on start (or maybe more with text editor) and 400-800 to finish and your volcano numbers to 24000 in world_gen.txt by some text editor,
then load up DF and generate the world/game. You'll easily find lots of river sites with nearby volcanoes within very playable range. (Why is the volcano maximum only 300 anyway?)

What remains challenging is getting the biome that you want, the right climate, the sea or the lake shore that is so coveted and the physically beautiful location that will please your aesthetics, that won't be just dull flatland or one giant hillside.

One word of warning though: You might get rivers (one or 2 tiles in embark screen length) that both start and end in the same lake and within one embark area. Starting on such a map seems to crash the game.
Or I dunno if .17 crashes for other reasons too on embark, but all such tried embarks crashed for me. (Tried to embark on them out of curiosity to see what such perpetual motion river-lake systems would look like.)

Anyways, River+Volcano+Shore is the best combo for fortress games, imo. You can usually let some magma on the lake/sea and build your fortress on top of it.

Also savage/joyous combo didn't seem to work for me on .16 as all the game area seemed to be just one type, despite embark screen showing various types.

Any chance you could post some .18 gens/seeds? I tinkered as you suggested and have been genning worlds for 4 hours now and got one volcano/brook combo in a 3x3 square. I don't think it likes me.

Edit: Also, is anyone having issues with 'invisible' volcanoes? I mean that on the region list they show up as ^, but there's no corresponding in the local tile.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:10:45 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »

hello to everybody!
i'm quite new to df and therefore this forum, but i genned a world, i think you might want to play after reading through this thread...

my location:

thx to schmlok 3 posts down, here is the list:

and the location:

@ledi: i know what you mean, found those too
edit: when i discovered the godly microcline by "looking down the mirror" aka peeking into the volcano through fortifications, i didn't get a message about it, only the second time when i saw it in the magma sea, may be a bug

just checked the map: there is some other fun stuff too be found: joyous wilds next to terrifying biomes in one embark or another flat volcano next to a river, with a magma sea at -51 and this time even with other civs  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:56:57 pm by MrAnderson »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »

find whatever worldgen parameters you used ingame from Advanced Parameters and in the Worldgen.txt from the init files find it and copy it here.

If you mean a specific worldgen... someone else help him, I haven't a damn clue
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2011, 12:22:23 pm »

it was genned by modifying a standard world from the init, but i don't know which values were changed to what  :-\

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All 3 Savage in one embark
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2011, 01:55:12 pm »

Ledi:
Edit: Also, is anyone having issues with 'invisible' volcanoes? I mean that on the region list they show up as ^, but there's no corresponding in the local tile.

From what I've seen, if you find where it *SHOULD* be using height/cliff view, its always some kind of glitch site.

MrAnderson: If you copy the save folder, load the copy, abandon, go into legends you can export it that specific world(I think its "p" key).  I'm sure there's an easier way.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:19:47 pm by Schmlok »

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:37 pm »

6x6 flat-perfect
volcano
brook
red sand - remove red sand before gen maybe if you don't like blood?
caverns need work.
Claims there is an aquifer but I haven't found one.

Prospector:

Parameters:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:46:36 pm by Schmlok »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29