Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103822 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 14, 2010, 10:38:13 am »

Right. I'll see if I find any in my current world.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 17, 2010, 02:17:41 am »

I like totally flat areas with easy access to water, magma, flux, and sediment shaped sediment... trees and soil aren't needed... buts lots of water is. I like to make underground tree farms and the first thing I do when I embark is decon the wagon(s) and channel out the things under the start. Then I floor over the hole and seal myself in...
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All 3 Savage in one embark
« Reply #257 on: November 17, 2010, 03:30:31 am »

I found one good embark with all 3 savage environments in 2x7, major river and volcano.
Babbling also in: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47986.msg1660820#msg1660820
World: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3312
Worldgen file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3327
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A volcano... with major river... on the same map?! That's Awesome Beyond All Repair.

Not so. I've got hundreds if not thousands of such. Such sites are quite easy to make, so easy, that I won't even post maps about it anymore:
Just set your rivers to 800 on start (or maybe more with text editor) and 400-800 to finish and your volcano numbers to 24000 in world_gen.txt by some text editor,
then load up DF and generate the world/game. You'll easily find lots of river sites with nearby volcanoes within very playable range. (Why is the volcano maximum only 300 anyway?)

What remains challenging is getting the biome that you want, the right climate, the sea or the lake shore that is so coveted and the physically beautiful location that will please your aesthetics, that won't be just dull flatland or one giant hillside.

One word of warning though: You might get rivers (one or 2 tiles in embark screen length) that both start and end in the same lake and within one embark area. Starting on such a map seems to crash the game.
Or I dunno if .17 crashes for other reasons too on embark, but all such tried embarks crashed for me. (Tried to embark on them out of curiosity to see what such perpetual motion river-lake systems would look like.)

Anyways, River+Volcano+Shore is the best combo for fortress games, imo. You can usually let some magma on the lake/sea and build your fortress on top of it.

Also savage/joyous combo didn't seem to work for me on .16 as all the game area seemed to be just one type, despite embark screen showing various types.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:45:39 am by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 17, 2010, 07:54:14 am »

I did exactly like you said (but used 8000 volcanoes), but the worldgen refused to make any more volcanoes and after about several THOUSAND rejects I went and fetched your worldgen file. It had all those strange parameters near the very end, about which I asked, and even though it took about 2,5 hours and 30 rejects (you can guess the speed at which worlds were genned, and I have a pretty powerful processor with 4 gigs of RAM), I finally found ONE such spot in the whole world. I can't fathom how much time would I need to get
hundreds if not thousands of such.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 29, 2010, 02:24:43 pm »

Soo. Has anyone found any good worlds in 31.18 that they want to share?

canon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:25 am »

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 02, 2010, 06:24:51 am »

Yea, anyone get any good embarks in 31.18?
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:18 am »

I got one of those messed-up embarks today where the red spoiler extended through all levels of the map and lots of stuff hung unsuspended in midair. Amusing, but unplayable.

What I'm looking for in 31.18 is the following: a nice big steep canyon or cliff made of stone layers (not 5+ z-levels of soil), with an optional waterfall and blue upright spoiler, and with magma not too far from the surface. Flux should be present, sand is nice but not a must. Goblins and kobolds should be alive and active.

Alternatively, any nice non-flat embark with magma and water (no necessarily on the surface) on glacier, taiga, desert or tropical forest would nice since I'm a bit tired of flat or almost-flat embarks. Terrifying, Joyous Wilds or plain Untamed Wilds are best.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2010, 12:20:39 pm »

I have a reasonably nice, FPS friendly 31.18 embark if anyone is interested.

Ground level volcano
River
Reasonably flat
Heavily forested (Tropical)
Untamed Wilds (Elephants and Alligators)
Flux (Marble) about 11 layers down.

On my initial embark there was a pond emtying into the volcano which caused the game to pause a few times with the collapsed message but as it emptied straigt down the pipe it caused no FPS/choppiness issues after. When I reembarked to test if my saved parameters worked the lake wasnt there.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:51:09 pm by Sir Crashalot »

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »

That looks good, I'll give it a whirl!

Anyone got that rocky cliff/canyon embark I'd love to give a try, seaside or inland?

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2010, 05:04:15 pm »

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me a hand. Im looking for an embark with sheer cliffs (about 20 or more z-levels high) with a river at the bottom and ideally some trees somewhere. The sheer cliff however has to be made completely out of rock with no soil or loam as I plan to carve a fortress into the cliff face.

I have occasionally found successful locations with my own worldgen attempts, but there are never any other civilizations nearby and whats the point in carving a massive fortress into the side of a mountain if you wont get sieged at all.

If anyone could help me out with a location (or give me some tips on increasing the number of hostile civs in the world) I wold call you a king among men
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2010, 11:16:05 am »

I found a terrifying moist broadleaf forest with a stream that forms an 18 z-level waterfall. Magma is at -36 from the top of the cliffs. No blue upright spoiler, sadly, and the top stone layer is dolomite which isn't the best yielder of useful stuf, but it does have sand. There are two other very similar embark sites next to it. All races are alive.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:51:51 pm by Korva »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2010, 02:19:57 pm »

Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me a hand. Im looking for an embark with sheer cliffs (about 20 or more z-levels high) with a river at the bottom and ideally some trees somewhere. The sheer cliff however has to be made completely out of rock with no soil or loam as I plan to carve a fortress into the cliff face.

I have occasionally found successful locations with my own worldgen attempts, but there are never any other civilizations nearby and whats the point in carving a massive fortress into the side of a mountain if you wont get sieged at all.

If anyone could help me out with a location (or give me some tips on increasing the number of hostile civs in the world) I wold call you a king among men
ok, here's how you do it:
in worldgen, set erosion cycles to min (0?), turn off erosion, make medium volcanic activity with lots of variance, igneous extrusive up, soil down (it erodes a lot), lots of rivers, turn off rainfall "imprints/images", try no weather (d_init i think) to be safe, x-variance for mountains, y-variance for... deserts (I think?), large world, and optimize for smaller caverns.

hope it works, I made a whole fortress in a 43-high almost-sheer cliff once using something like that (though I might have forgotten some details...), and it shipped WITH a volcano. AND 2-layer easy aquifer. pure win really...

have fun!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 09, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »

How do I gen one of these?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2010, 02:44:33 pm »

in the main menu go to "design world with advanced parameters" and make a new thing. don't forget to press F6 to save stuff later.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29