Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103834 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:08 pm »

It's entirely random even if you set specific parameters - the only way you could really force those things to be very large would be to set a maximum on neutral tiles, and you can't do that.  Just be patient and discard the maps that don't have what you want, you don't even have to gen them fully - just get to the point where history starts counting and hit Escape, and pan the map around, abort if it's junk.  I've genned maps that have maybe half their tiles as good or evil, and with the same settings gotten more like 1%.  You can fiddle with desired good/evil subregion tiles settings, but this isn't too helpful as this will cause worldgen to choke on excessive numbers of rejections for other reasons - I guess it will finish eventually, but when I've tried this it ran up to many thousands of rejections with a lot of reasons for failing.  Since subregion alignment is determined at nearly the end of worldgen, just before civ placement and history, this means a lot of time is wasted on rejects because of all the shit done beforehand like calculating rivers and lakes.  IMO quicker and cleaner to just roll many times and manually discard maps that you don't want.

Just for grins I'm actually trying to roll a map with very high min region sizes for good-aligned (1,000, 5,000 and 10,000 respectively), I'll come back when/if it ever finishes.
edit: that actually didn't take that long, although tbh the time it took was about the same as rolling it manually - however very nearly all the map is good aligned, which is pretty cool.  The cruddy part is you have to babysit it to intervene on all the excessive rejections dialogs.

edit again: after a couple of times going through this, it's actually not too bad time wise, give it a try I suppose ^^  err, that's been with medium map size
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:23:15 pm by FleshForge »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2010, 10:43:00 pm »

Hmm, Desired Good/Evil Square Count settings at 750, 2,500 and 7,500 seems a lot easier to get a working combination on medium map size, try that.  Also much quicker to just 'p' on the first rejection screen and let it run out, if you get a dead world oh well.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2010, 11:37:04 pm »

I updated my 'amazing embark' with a similar 31.16 one.

It has
  • Sand
  • Flux
  • Sediment
  • Is almost flat
  • Adjacent stream and volcano
  • An *Upright Spoiler*

It does freeze/thaw.
The mountain bit surrounding the volcano is only 8z high, the volcano is a hole in the ground however.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 19, 2010, 08:10:19 am »

Looking at the map I'm currently playing on, I don't think phantom spiders care the least bit about what specific terrain is near them, I have one that consistently spins webs in the middle of a brook.  I'm pretty convinced they just care what biome they're in and that's all.

That's not entirely inaccurate.

HOLY URIST. Put a warning up before you linking to pictures of massive spiders.

YOU MANIAC.

(I feel like there's one on me now)

This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 19, 2010, 09:43:35 am »

Looking at the map I'm currently playing on, I don't think phantom spiders care the least bit about what specific terrain is near them, I have one that consistently spins webs in the middle of a brook.  I'm pretty convinced they just care what biome they're in and that's all.

That's not entirely inaccurate.

HOLY URIST. Put a warning up before you linking to pictures of massive spiders.

YOU MANIAC.

(I feel like there's one on me now)

oops.

sorry.

*evil laugh*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2010, 10:40:55 pm »

Ok, I was the one who wanted a neutral, good, and evil aligned regions all right next to each other meeting at some sort of central point, preferably one of them being mountainy.  Now, the advice I got was to just gen worlds and manually toss them out until I got what I wanted but in case I have bad luck is there any sort of combination of parameters I should try to increase the chances of getting this?  I'm also hoping for all three areas to be savage, and for a healthy array of other civilizations [which I think is actually kinda normal in 2010 anyway.]

This is where I want to attempt one of my first megaprojects: Tower of Babel.  Slightly different version though.  I'm going to strip mine down to the magma sea to provide a lot of the base materials and perhaps even put the base of the tower right on top of an exposed to the air cotton candy vein.  The magma sea around it will be the moat, and then it'll just go back up to the surface and higher.  Think of the Citadel from HL2.  Once you actually got to it the base was actually pretty deep down in a huge hole in the ground.
Cage traps are my magma.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:56 pm »

I think as far as good/evil alignment goes, this is about as much as can be done.  I don't think even PerfectWorld lets you paint alignments, their placement is just going to be highly random.  For savagery, you probably want to reduce the number of starting civilizations and stop worldgen at zero or very close to same, because one of the major things that goes on in worldgen is each town pacifies its surrounding tiles, the longer you let it run the fewer savage tiles you will have.

ruanna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2010, 11:36:45 pm »

even by cranking volcanos up and ignoring warnings, i can never get a volcano beside an ocean.  does anyone have a good costal volcano embark?

or maybe something with a river in a very steep/deep valley?  possibly with a waterfall or joining river?

Just genned this in DF v0.31.12:

2) a Volcano adjacent to a Brook, with a Sedimentary Layer (Marble is listed):

I used this one, but I'm having trouble finding the sedimentary layer, and very little iron and no lignite/coal. Would anyone do me a beeeg beeeg favour and run prospector on it for me? I'm not running windows... Oh and my site is a 3x3 with the bush in the middle and the volcano top middle. I don't know if I accidentally cut out the sedimentary... :(

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2010, 04:30:10 am »

I used this one, but I'm having trouble finding the sedimentary layer, and very little iron and no lignite/coal. Would anyone do me a beeeg beeeg favour and run prospector on it for me? I'm not running windows... Oh and my site is a 3x3 with the bush in the middle and the volcano top middle. I don't know if I accidentally cut out the sedimentary... :(

Here you go
Spoiler: 1 of 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2 of 2 (click to show/hide)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2010, 05:17:20 am »

Looks to me like the reason you're having trouble finding the sedimentary layer is because there isn't one (no coal).

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2010, 07:12:53 am »

Sorry, My Bad.

I dunno why I typed "Sedimentary" when Marble is the non-Sedimentary Layer stone (& being a Layer stone, doesn't show in Prospector anyway).

ruanna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2010, 08:48:04 am »

hrmm, looks like i'll have to skip steel and go straight to cotton candy. but still having fun with my first volcano :)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2010, 10:57:17 am »

Oh no, you can still make steel, you just have to burn wood instead of coal.  You do have 2500 hematite, which probably is all on one or two z-levels so it shouldn't be too terribly hard to dig out.  Volcano maps USUALLY have a shitload more iron than the other varieties because you have so many igneous intrusive layers and they have a lot of hematite veins, your current one is an exception.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2010, 04:45:55 pm »

I may have screwed myself on the worldgen for my tower.  The default z-levels above ground is "15".  Then again, it also says that the average distance between two caverns is "1" and I've seen bigger gaps then that before.  So just how many above ground z-levels do I get on vanilla and how many can be added before the lag gets too bad?

EDIT:

For anyone concerned, this is my current wishlist:

*Mountains - Terrifying or Untamed Wilds
*Forest - Terrifying, Untamed, or Joyous Wilds
*Anything else - [All three alignments must be present on same embark]
[Bonus for small representations of other biomes]
*Stream - anywhere
*Multiple layers of dirt if possible
*No aquifers [willing to cheat]
*Standard 3 caverns
*Candy sword [preferably near the center of the embark and the different regions]
*IMMENSE mineral wealth of microline and malachite
*Flux layer [or I guess I could import if I must...]
*Temperature - temperate to hot
*No volcanoes or magma tubes
*Sand completely optional, I could always import.

How long do you think I would have to world-gen, inspect, discard, re-gen, and savescum to find those conditions?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:07:55 pm by Drakeero »
Cage traps are my magma.

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2010, 05:09:21 pm »

(Cue Professor Farnsworth voice)

GOOD NEWS, everyone! I've found a site with the following features:

-flat volcano!
     -brook!
     -all 4 civs alive
     -genned in 31.16!
     -savage tropical moist broadleaf forest!
     -optional savage mountains! Lose nothing, gain giant eagles!
     -completely flat map! (even the mountain squares are flat stone)!
     -plenty of hematite!
     -giant cave spider webs!
     -no upright weapons!
     -thick; heavily forested
     -a dwarf civ named "The Incinerated Sack"

Lacks sand and flux. (Unless you swap peat and sand!) Weather is Scorching. Two murky pools empty into the volcano on embark, but after that it should be smooth sailing.

Spoiler: params (click to show/hide)

Uh... pardon me for asking a very stupid question, but where in the hell is the embark?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29