Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103835 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2010, 07:15:27 am »

Thanks for uploading your world jei!
I've never seen a volcano tile right next to a river.
That's my next embark. :)

Could you possibly upload your worldgen parameters for that world, I tried exporting them from
your save and reggening, but for some reason, it always stops at "running rivers" and rejects the region.

There's one in there that's right next to a sea too, though I didn't point it out especially..

Can't you export the parameters from the legends mode into a file with [p]? I just gen the world and ignore all rejects.

Also, I'm glad that someone else likes having their rivers next to volcanos too! :D I'm now trying to generate one in
2x2 or 3x3 size with Major river, a volcano and terrifying or joyous wilds areas. (I have yet to really experience joyous wilds
and one test embark assured me that it's a must have experience too.) Maybe with seashore if I'm that lucky.  So far no
luck getting them on such a small area though.

I'm wondering as well if there's not a better way to do all this worldgenerating. (Windows apparently has some cheat
tools available for such things? Too bad I don't have Windows..) Toady should really make sure that by default such
embark sites are available in every worldgen. Not to mention an obscene Adamantine spine/spire -site too!

Also, I once had an embark site (river and volcanoe) with a goblin tower right in the area. Boy that was fun,
but that was in 40d and I don't have the saves or parameters anymore. I also wish Toady would let embark take
place in the tower/town areas like it used to be possible. Nothing like panickly digging your team into the ground
and barricading yourself in for years until you emerge as a threat to the tower..

Also an idea comes to mind that Areas could develop or change their alignment as time passes. Maybe "a Dark Moon
rises" that will turn an area into Terrifying and then go back to Joyous Wilds as it sets during a few years of game.
This could be a convenient plot excuse to turn the same area in one fortress game between alignments and change
the fauna and plants that grow during the years. It would make Fortress mode tons more fun if you could influence
the area alignment within the game.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2010, 07:21:59 am »

Has anyone found a flat volcano embark in 31.16? I'm getting lots of flat volcanoes (i.e., magma at z-1, opening at z0) surrounded by 84+ height twin peaks, but no embarks with both the flat magma hole and flat (or nearly flat) land everywhere else too.

You might need to have "trouble placing volcanos" and ignore the errors, to force it to place the volcanos in flatland. Also put their numbers to max.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2010, 11:51:06 am »

Also, I'm glad that someone else likes having their rivers next to volcanos too! :D I'm now trying to generate one in
2x2 or 3x3 size with Major river, a volcano and terrifying or joyous wilds areas. (I have yet to really experience joyous wilds
and one test embark assured me that it's a must have experience too.) Maybe with seashore if I'm that lucky.  So far no
luck getting them on such a small area though.

This one has a volcano and a river (not brook, stream, or minor river) in a 2x2 area, all temperate wilderness:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2010, 04:36:59 am »

The flatland/tiny volcano thing is actually turning out to be fairly common in 31.16, and it seems quite a bit more likely to have sedimentary rock right up on top of a volcano now.

The two main things going on with good-aligned biomes are a) unicorns, which are pretty great if you're into bone or meat industry, and getting sun berries without relying on trading with elves, which is a bit of a coin toss.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2010, 05:06:08 pm »

Has anyone found a flat volcano embark in 31.16? I'm getting lots of flat volcanoes (i.e., magma at z-1, opening at z0) surrounded by 84+ height twin peaks, but no embarks with both the flat magma hole and flat (or nearly flat) land everywhere else too.

You might need to have "trouble placing volcanos" and ignore the errors, to force it to place the volcanos in flatland. Also put their numbers to max.

It's not as simple as that. 31.16 likes to put 90 z-level high walls in a perfect square around a volcano in an otherwise flat plain. It's a pain.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »

Considering that magma has no hydrostatic pressure (i.e. no pressure from the weight of the magma sitting on it), I don't see why you couldn't just tap it like a beer keg.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:47:12 pm by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2010, 05:55:20 pm »

Because I want a *flat* embark. The thought of excavating the top 30 z-levels of the square volcano mountain sounds like a tedius and time consuming task.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »

Considering that magma has no hydrostatic pressure (i.e. no pressure from the weight of the magma sitting on it), I don't see why you couldn't just tap it like a beer keg.

Wow. Someone should actually make this in honour of Armok. Then coat the outside in the blood of forgotten beasts, titans and cats.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

canon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2010, 12:00:04 am »

tried catapults world gen, got an underwater volcano.
:D

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2010, 09:04:49 am »

Just got myself a wonderful volcano embark
Created in DF v0.31.12.

Mountainous volcano (crater is on z-186, extreme cliffs)
Brook (runs in a gorge behind the volcano on z-146)
Marble
!Elephants!
Tropical Moist Broadleaf

Layer of clay over a mix of stuff on the forest, embark screen showed at least 3 Gabbro layers
Mountain biome shown in screenshot

Embark im using is 5x5..it needs this to meet the following criteria
1: Both brook and volcano on map
2: A reasonable amount of forest for access to non mountaineous animals/rocks/wood
Added circles since i couldnt get a screenshot with the x's showing:p

Since the posts just above mentioned the lack of hydrostatic pressure this will be my beer keg tapping.  Im striking the vent ~25z below the surface and only 1z down from the plain for awesome top-level magmaforging :)
Eventually have plans to decapitate the mountain entirely, may leave an obsidian encased magma pipe:)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:37:34 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

Just genned a nice little site, maybe someone would like to use it.
Genned in vanilla .16

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Features:
-Sedimentary rock (rock salt)
-Flux (marble)
-Trees (woodland)
-Brook
-Soil layers (no sand)
-No aquifers for lazy people like me
-All civs access
-Low cliffs
-Medium savagery
Spoiler: Spoiler Features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Parameters (click to show/hide)

Hope someone enjoys!

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2010, 03:14:08 pm »

I generated a flat volcano that low FPS people might be interested in.

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Features:
-Flat Volcano (aka hole in the ground volcano)
-Flux (marble)
-Trees and plants (Heavily forested and thick)
-Big murky pools giving enough water for farming needs.
-No aquifers
-Warm Area, no freezing/evaporating water
-All civs access

People who struggle with FPS might like it because the site (and the whole world) is shallow, at
-*ONLY 25 Z LEVELS FROM SURFACE TO SEMI MOLTEN ROCK*
-*ONE CAVE LEVEL*

There is no FPS-eating river, but there are rather big pools that can easily provide for farming.
This site is absolutely fastest possible while providing magma and easily accesible water.

If you want even greater FPS boost, generate the world in 31.12 and use nanofortress to embark to a 1x2 area, getting all the features above, even adamantine.

Spoiler: Local view (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Parametres (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:16:01 pm by HD23 »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2010, 06:15:17 pm »

Did that volcano really spawn with two murky pools in it? Oooh, caveins on embark for sure...

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2010, 06:02:37 pm »

(Cue Professor Farnsworth voice)

GOOD NEWS, everyone! I've found a site with the following features:

-flat volcano!
     -brook!
     -all 4 civs alive
     -genned in 31.16!
     -savage tropical moist broadleaf forest!
     -optional savage mountains! Lose nothing, gain giant eagles!
     -completely flat map! (even the mountain squares are flat stone)!
     -plenty of hematite!
     -giant cave spider webs!
     -no upright weapons!
     -thick; heavily forested
     -a dwarf civ named "The Incinerated Sack"

Lacks sand and flux. (Unless you swap peat and sand!) Weather is Scorching. Two murky pools empty into the volcano on embark, but after that it should be smooth sailing.

Spoiler: params (click to show/hide)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hope you enjoy; the map has a lot of rejections before it gets there, but doesn't popup with a rejection window.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »

Hm.... I'm not so much looking for someone to cook the world for me, just some advice on how to set up my own parameters.  How would I go about getting a world together with a LOT of good/evil regions especially in the highest savagery category?  I'd like to get a relatively small 6x6 embark together with any temp except cold-freezing-scorching and dense trees in at least one of the biomes.  Small stream preferred.

I'd really like to try to get an untamed wilds, terrifying/haunted, and joyous wilds altogether on the same embark spot.  The individual biomes of course can vary.
Cage traps are my magma.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29