Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103847 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »

Looking at the map I'm currently playing on, I don't think phantom spiders care the least bit about what specific terrain is near them, I have one that consistently spins webs in the middle of a brook.  I'm pretty convinced they just care what biome they're in and that's all.

That's not entirely inaccurate.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2010, 07:30:31 pm »

I got this if anyone wants.

I'm looking for one with major river/sea, possibly/hopefully closer to to volcano.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:18 pm »

I'm trying to gen a world with lots of goblins but I always get a million elves and only a few hundred goblins. How can I get more goblins?

I got a couple worlds with no elves at all. It seems that elven civs don't fare well if you up the number of titans and other megabeasts.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2010, 09:04:18 pm »

Some embarks I'm considering in a world I just genned.
It has some riverside volcano embark possibilities in a
world with elves, humans, dwarves and goblins. Also
extra caves, titans and megabeasts were added in the worldgen.
World is generated in latest Linux 0.31.16 DF. Unembarked
world should be available here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3241
Some embark points I noted:

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2010, 01:32:41 am »

Ok, so I've been spending the last few hours world genning, trying to find a world that has an adequate amount of tropical moist broadleaf forests.  Is there any way to favor them, perhaps using rain, temperature and drainage?  What type of land do broad-leaf favor over coniferous forests?

How do you increase the tropical band?  I would love it if I could eliminate cold biomes and temperate biomes from my maps, and instead have a whole map of tropical.  Any way to do this?  On the dwarven temperature scale, how hot is 50? 100? 200?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2010, 03:00:29 am »

Ok, so I've been spending the last few hours world genning, trying to find a world that has an adequate amount of tropical moist broadleaf forests.  Is there any way to favor them, perhaps using rain, temperature and drainage?  What type of land do broad-leaf favor over coniferous forests?

How do you increase the tropical band?  I would love it if I could eliminate cold biomes and temperate biomes from my maps, and instead have a whole map of tropical.  Any way to do this?  On the dwarven temperature scale, how hot is 50? 100? 200?

You could probably wipe out temperate and cold by setting the minimum temperature to something high(not sure how positive temperature works, if it works the same as negative then 50 min 100 max is probably what you'd want). However, no matter what, you will have one scorching pole and one cold/freezing pole, it's hard coded.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2010, 03:48:26 am »

Alright, any advice about culling coniferous forests?  I could probably find plenty of embarks if I could just find enough Terrifying Tropical Moist Broad-Leaf Forests.  Ideally I'd find them on the same 16x16 embark as any biome with joyous wilds, a water supply and sedimentary and gabbro layers.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2010, 04:57:14 am »

that, I have no clue. Maybe making a world with perfectworlddf and just making everything have extremely heavy rainfall, but i could never get it to work right making specific edits like that.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2010, 12:21:55 pm »

Alright, any advice about culling coniferous forests?  I could probably find plenty of embarks if I could just find enough Terrifying Tropical Moist Broad-Leaf Forests.  Ideally I'd find them on the same 16x16 embark as any biome with joyous wilds, a water supply and sedimentary and gabbro layers.

How about changing the min/max temperatures and the minmax rainfalls to what you want? Also uping minimum savagery might help.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2010, 02:07:22 pm »

I have not downloaded this game i will download on christmas  when i get my computer but is it possible to get a massive area of extreme cliffs with either a aquifer or underground river and a massive amount of trees preferably no magma
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:09:24 pm by adwarf »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2010, 03:24:29 pm »

Has anyone found a flat volcano embark in 31.16? I'm getting lots of flat volcanoes (i.e., magma at z-1, opening at z0) surrounded by 84+ height twin peaks, but no embarks with both the flat magma hole and flat (or nearly flat) land everywhere else too.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »

Has anyone found a flat volcano embark in 31.16? I'm getting lots of flat volcanoes (i.e., magma at z-1, opening at z0) surrounded by 84+ height twin peaks, but no embarks with both the flat magma hole and flat (or nearly flat) land everywhere else too.

I've had about zero luck with that. Every volcano embark I can find has little or no flat land.

Catapult

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2010, 05:58:55 pm »

I just made a map that has a location that is a volcano in the middle of an ocean. When you embark on that spot it has magma spires past the highest z-level and also has open space from the highest z-level to the lowest.

When I tried to resume the game at embark it simply locked up.

There are other spots on the map that are strange, like a volcano in the middle of a lake.

This one runs fine after the lake fills the crater, just takes a minute to get past the cavern collapse spam.

There are also plenty of other interesting places on it but those are the two that stuck out, to me. I can upload a save with no embarks to DFFD if anyone wants it.

Here is the world gen code.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Had to ignore a volcanism error but no others came up.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2010, 04:05:48 am »

Thanks for uploading your world jei!
I've never seen a volcano tile right next to a river.
That's my next embark. :)

Could you possibly upload your worldgen parameters for that world, I tried exporting them from
your save and reggening, but for some reason, it always stops at "running rivers" and rejects the region.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:11:49 am by HD23 »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2010, 04:15:59 am »

I've had about zero luck with that. Every volcano embark I can find has little or no flat land.

It's still pretty much random numbers, I had a map that had a very compact little volcano cone surrounded by wide-open flat forest.  I ditched it because the map had no flux anywhere, otherwise looked like a really nice map.  Current map has a brook that is 1 embark tile away from the volcano and maybe half or 2/3 of the map is flat enough to try to maintain for trees.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29