Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103863 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2010, 11:29:28 am »

really?  not using the embark-anywhere hack?  i'll have to check on that.  theres no way to visually remove the sprawl so you can see what is undere there, is there?
I don't think you can remove it post world gen, but one of the world gen is "Show Caves" which presumably disables visibility.

You might also fiddle with "Show Embark Tunnel" in the df init settings, 'cos I haven't managed to work out what that does or doesn't do yet.

JabberWockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2010, 12:45:53 pm »

I actually posted an embark earlier in the thread that has what you're looking for (Doomhouse).

I actually used your doomhouse map for a fort - couldn't find any of that marble or granite (bronze).  Still had a good for going though.

Here's something that My brother and I are looking to do legacy for:
3-4 tile embark
Magma pipe/volcano
River
Sedimentary present
Flux
lots of trees
terrifying, or in a jungle, or both  ;D
Maybe some Sand
Maybe some granite
Maybe some shells

I will usually modify the raws to have all soil types with "Sandy" in it to have the flag of sand (sandy loam, sandy clay, etc.) so I'm not too worried about sand.

I'll be running mapgens too and will let you guys know if I find it.  This seems to be a pretty popular request.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:06:48 pm by JabberWockey »

JabberWockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:08 pm »

double post  ???

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »

I don't think you can remove it post world gen, but one of the world gen is "Show Caves" which presumably disables visibility.

You might also fiddle with "Show Embark Tunnel" in the df init settings, 'cos I haven't managed to work out what that does or doesn't do yet.

no, show caves was always an option.  it shows a footprint of where caves are, which also obscures whats underneath them.  but it is limited to only the squares caves are on, usually 3x3 by default.  you could always embark on those.  the site-sprawl is this massive footprint that takes up like an entire region tile, and you generally cant embark on areas that are under the sprawl.

the embark tunnels are the underground tunnels that connect some goblin towers and some dwarf mountainhomes.  i havent seen any new options that hide sprawl, and the only advertised ways of preventing it from occuring are capping total sites, number of original civs (kobolds are the cave civ) or increasing savagry to prevent settlements.  but on a little pocket map like that, its going ot be hard to keep the one cave on the map from being settled.  unless you mod out kobolds or something.

Harry Blargle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2010, 04:53:55 am »

I'm trying to gen a world with lots of goblins but I always get a million elves and only a few hundred goblins. How can I get more goblins?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2010, 05:12:44 am »

Increasing Evil, & (maybe) Savagery, should, I think, skew towards Gobbos (Dwarves require Neutrally aligned regions, dunno about Elves or Humans).

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2010, 08:28:33 pm »

sorry for bump, but can someone tell me how to use these things?
If I had a monkey, I would borrow my moms sewing machine and make my monkey a little monkey suit. Then if anyone said "Thats not a real monkey, it's just a monkey suit, I can see the zipper", I could say "I bet you fifty dollars it is a real monkey" and when they said "that seems like a reasonable bet, you are on", my monkey would take off the monkey suit and they would have to pay me fifty dollars.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »

Increasing Evil, & (maybe) Savagery, should, I think, skew towards Gobbos (Dwarves require Neutrally aligned regions, dunno about Elves or Humans).
I'm pretty sue elves require good regions, and humans require neutral.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2010, 08:57:42 pm »

Humans require neutral plains if I recall correctly while Elves require a forest. They're the only civ that can start in good areas, but I don't think they necessarily require a good forest.

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2010, 08:00:00 pm »

While looking for something else, I generated a site with quite attractive features:

- brook
- volcano
- marble
- two aquifers in the river tiles
- sand
- trees
- all calm

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apologies for the uncropped image.

edit: forgot the params.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:06:58 pm by bumblepuppy »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2010, 08:55:25 pm »

Thanks, FleshForge!

After hours of button-smashing in .16, I've got the world of Boldolonra--this site, specifically:

Features:  Volcano, sand, some mudstone, marble for flux, what looks to be a good amount of gabbro and granite.  Tropical Joyous/Savage Wilds.  Access to all other civs; kobolds are alive in this world.  Top of volcano pierces a murky pool, so two veins of cotton candy are immediately revealed.  There are two caves fairly close by; not sure if this affects titan/megabeast attacks.

Possible drawbacks: May not have an infinite source of water; biomes are also Hot.  Kind of lumpy and uncompelling, when it comes to z-level distribution.  NO EVIL SQUARES!! :[

But...  the sand is only four steps from the magma.  Four.  Steps.

With a world genned in .12 and convered to .14, it took me several tries but I did get an evil embark that has phantom spiders and glumprong, it looks like there are three possibilities for evil biomes: 1) all dead, with undeads, 2) all mundane with stuff like ogres, and 3) supernatural with glumprong/silverbarb/spiders and werewolves.

I tested with an all-herbalist team and came up with silverbarbs on the glumprong map, so I'm pretty sure if you see glumprongs you'll get silverbarbs too.

I think you are teh winner!

I actually did manage to gen a world with glumprongs in .14 or .15.  My .12 map had werewolves and no glumprongs--but that might've been due to using it with newer versions.

Despite several 16x16 embarks I only got one set, all dead or mundane or supernatural, so I'm pretty sure this is determined for the entire embark tile (possibly for the entire subregion but I really hope not).

The "type" of evil seems to be hugely widespread...  so, hoping not also, but strongly suspecting yes.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 04, 2010, 11:54:44 pm »

I spent a lot of time with an evil forest map, and I noticed that any rainfall immediately destroys and phantom spider webs on the map.  I guess you could work around this by roofing over large sections of the surface to keep rain off of the webs.  There is some language on the phantom spider wiki page that suggests you don't want to cut down trees - in practice I found that phantom spiders spin just as much web in an area with no trees as they do with a lot of trees (more actually, since a tree blocks the tile it occupies).

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2010, 12:56:01 pm »

Anyone have a flat map with a magma pipe for .14?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2010, 04:07:35 pm »

I spent a lot of time with an evil forest map, and I noticed that any rainfall immediately destroys and phantom spider webs on the map.  I guess you could work around this by roofing over large sections of the surface to keep rain off of the webs.  There is some language on the phantom spider wiki page that suggests you don't want to cut down trees - in practice I found that phantom spiders spin just as much web in an area with no trees as they do with a lot of trees (more actually, since a tree blocks the tile it occupies).

I wouldn't be surprised about the rain.  Not so sure about the trees...  they don't seem to need to actually spin their webs on trees, but clear-cutting the map doesn't help them any.  I suspect this might have something more to do with the vermin being generated, though...  I modded in spiders for a few other generic biomes/alignments using the phantoms as a template, and while the desert ones, for example, have their silk show up as a trade good, I've never seen them actually spawn in a desert.

Has anyone ever done an in-depth study on vermin?  Sometimes they seem to persist in an odd way--the cave/phantom spiders don't stick around, but I had a lizard at the bottom of an aquifer for about two years once, and it was as "permanently there" as any other creature, aside from the blinking.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2010, 04:18:31 pm »

Looking at the map I'm currently playing on, I don't think phantom spiders care the least bit about what specific terrain is near them, I have one that consistently spins webs in the middle of a brook.  I'm pretty convinced they just care what biome they're in and that's all.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29