Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103878 times)

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2010, 06:27:45 am »

Starting a fort on .14, of course this breaks the worldgens in here from .12. Though I suppose I could gen the world in .12 and edit the raws with the changes.

But I noticed something in the new version. I'm actually seeing volcanos in the same embark as streams now. Not just brooks. That gives me hope that maybe I can find volcano plus major river.

EDIT: Confirmed. Found a volcano in the same embark as a major river, but theres goblin sprawl on it. They must think its awesome too.

And another one. Volcano topping out 5 Z levels up and 7 tiles over from a 25 tile wide major river. Whatever changed with worldgen, I love it. Though I've seen some crazy stuff. Like a spire hundreds of Z levels tall made of slade and glowing pit...

EDIT 2: Here's a fun embark, Mountainrouts

Flat Volcano (2 z-levels from river to top of volcano, and there is only one z-level of land above that.
Minor River (12 Tiles)
No sedimentary layer listed.
NO Aquifer
Red sand
Flux (Marble)
5x5, but could be embarked as a 4x4 without losing anything that I can see (No DFReveal for .14 yet, so I don't know what is down there.)

Embark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Map:

Params:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:58:47 am by NKDietrich »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2010, 09:21:48 am »

I've been having weird issues genning worlds in .14...

(1) I've tossed several promising-from-the-world-map embarks because of Evil Fail.  I don't want dead everything and hordes of shambling, ineffectual zombie deer.  I want glumprong and sliver barbs and phantom spiders and some harpies/ogres/werewolves, dammit!

Have I gone wrong with my worldgen parameters somehow, or is evil bugged in .14?  :[

(2) Kobolds and cave animal men.  Any surefire way of ensuring the former's survival during worldgen (so far, I haven't seen them show up in my pops.txt) and boosting the populations of the latter?  And are their populations counted as "civilizations"?  Because upping the civ count just gives me eighty bajillion elves, humans, dwarves, and gobs hogging every possible semi-decent embark site...
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2010, 09:38:07 am »

Set the world to stop at year 50 to keep kobolds. Anything higher is pushing it, since kobolds tend to get eaten by megabeasts fairly quickly, as far as I can see.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2010, 09:41:39 am »

You may also want to tone down the number of sites (new worldgen setting) - this limits the "sprawl" that goes on during history.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2010, 10:09:33 am »

(1) I've tossed several promising-from-the-world-map embarks because of Evil Fail.  I don't want dead everything and hordes of shambling, ineffectual zombie deer.  I want glumprong and sliver barbs and phantom spiders and some harpies/ogres/werewolves, dammit!

Have I gone wrong with my worldgen parameters somehow, or is evil bugged in .14?  :[

(2) Kobolds and cave animal men.  Any surefire way of ensuring the former's survival during worldgen (so far, I haven't seen them show up in my pops.txt) and boosting the populations of the latter?  And are their populations counted as "civilizations"?  Because upping the civ count just gives me eighty bajillion elves, humans, dwarves, and gobs hogging every possible semi-decent embark site...

I've been trying to get some more evil too for additional Fun (TM) (R) (C)  but I apparently don't know how to properly tweak the Evil/Good square counts.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »

So futzing around with gen params gave me this this pocket world:

Thats right, a tiny island surrounded by evil ocean, and war with both elves and goblins!

....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2010, 05:39:41 am »

Another interesting .14 embark here.

Features:
45 tile wide river.
Volcano that tops out at same Z-level as river (It is 5 tiles from the river)
Sand
Sedimentary Flux (Limestone)
Lots of Iron Ore, Lignite, Coal
Tons of trees.
Kind of a cliffy area but there are a couple good flat areas with pools to use.
No elves.

My embark was a 6x6, but you could embark it as low as 2x2 if you wanted, and still get the volcano and river.

Not sure about aquifer as I have those modded out currently.

Embark:

Params:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:46:04 am by NKDietrich »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2010, 02:00:10 pm »

Set the world to stop at year 50 to keep kobolds. Anything higher is pushing it, since kobolds tend to get eaten by megabeasts fairly quickly, as far as I can see.

Eh?  I'm guessing because their thiefyness conflicts with the megabeast raids?  In the older versions, increasing cave number/size seemed to give them a foothold, but in the latest edition, kobolds don't seem to be able to claim caves as easily/at all.

Stopping worldgen at year 50 is just... no.  Not an option for me.  1000 is my minimum, and I've had the 'bolds survive to that year, but not in a world with a single half-way decent (embarkable) site.  I crank down the civ number, I don't see the  'bolds and the cave-animal-people show up at all; I crank up the number, and the humans/elves/gobs devour every single piece of real estate worth yawning at and do unspeakable things to my CPU while calculating the journey of Mook con Whatever, in which he killed/tamed/got eaten by wolves.

You may also want to tone down the number of sites (new worldgen setting) - this limits the "sprawl" that goes on during history.

Sites?  As in civ number, or number of mountain/non-mountain caves?  If it's just a parameter I've missed here, it would be awesome to feel dumb about that.

I've been trying to get some more evil too for additional Fun (TM) (R) (C)  but I apparently don't know how to properly tweak the Evil/Good square counts.

My last try genning a world, I got a normal evil area (harpies/ogres/werewolves) instead of an undead evil area (no plants, and zombie groundhogs...  oh the horror!)  So it's not impossible to get Fun Evil areas in .14....  just, you know, kind of a pain in the arse if you also want stuff like sedimentary layers or sand or flux or plant life or less than four layers of aquifer.

(Still waiting for a combo evil area, personally...  Zombie ogres.  Herds of skeletal werewolves.)
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:28 am »

Okay, hunting for another site. My RAWs are available at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3182.

- 4x4 site or smaller
- heavily forested
- brook, stream or no running water
- chalk, dolomite or limestone
- four soil layers
- not evil, preferably Untamed Wilds
- masterwork spoiler
- all civs available
- if you can, a reasonably small world.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2010, 12:32:36 pm »

Sites?  As in civ number, or number of mountain/non-mountain caves?  If it's just a parameter I've missed here, it would be awesome to feel dumb about that.

There is a new setting in .14 "Site cap after civ creation", take a close look at the first page of settings.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2010, 12:39:42 pm »

So futzing around with gen params gave me this this pocket world:

Thats right, a tiny island surrounded by evil ocean, and war with both elves and goblins!

And a good portion of the island is evil too!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2010, 01:03:20 pm »

yeah, too bad you cant embark on caves anymore due to site sprawl.  that square with the coastal volcano and the cave looks like it could be an awesome embark point.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2010, 01:07:55 am »

With a world genned in .12 and convered to .14, it took me several tries but I did get an evil embark that has phantom spiders and glumprong, it looks like there are three possibilities for evil biomes: 1) all dead, with undeads, 2) all mundane with stuff like ogres, and 3) supernatural with glumprong/silverbarb/spiders and werewolves.

I tested with an all-herbalist team and came up with silverbarbs on the glumprong map, so I'm pretty sure if you see glumprongs you'll get silverbarbs too.  Despite several 16x16 embarks I only got one set, all dead or mundane or supernatural, so I'm pretty sure this is determined for the entire embark tile (possibly for the entire subregion but I really hope not).

edit:  Apparently phantom spiders have no connection to glumprong/silverbarb, I'm getting maps with webs but not the evil plants.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:20:15 am by FleshForge »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2010, 01:16:52 am »

yeah, too bad you cant embark on caves anymore due to site sprawl.  that square with the coastal volcano and the cave looks like it could be an awesome embark point.
You can embark on cave sprawl. I have done it before

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 29, 2010, 10:23:13 am »

really?  not using the embark-anywhere hack?  i'll have to check on that.  theres no way to visually remove the sprawl so you can see what is undere there, is there?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 29