Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103885 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2010, 07:25:01 am »

Right, seeing as very fussy embarks aren't going to get me anywhere, here's an easier request.

I'm looking for a forest divided by a "subduction zone" - that is, a nice forested area with a big z-level difference between one "half" and the other.

---
---
------

Something like the diagram or even more dramatic drops are nice. Preferably with plenty of soil.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:23 pm »

Right, seeing as very fussy embarks aren't going to get me anywhere, here's an easier request.

I'm looking for a forest divided by a "subduction zone" - that is, a nice forested area with a big z-level difference between one "half" and the other.

---
---
------

Something like the diagram or even more dramatic drops are nice. Preferably with plenty of soil.
This should be possible on most maps. You probably want a Forest near Badlands or Mountains, then Tab through to the Elevations display (all Numbers), you the Higher numbers indicate more of drop, so:
would suggest that the top 2 rows are fairly flat, & the bottom not so much, though you may be after (eg):
which would indicate 2 plateus(sp?) with a drop, but not really a cliff (probably) between them).

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2010, 01:46:46 pm »

If you want forest both above and below... it's impossible.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »

Howdy neighbors!  The embark screen here kind of speaks for itself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Although there are many embarks around that area and some other interesting ones very close to goblin towns to the northeast, that's the one I picked.  Map:

Params:

Save:
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/DwarfFortress/Siegebreaker/Siegebreaker.zip
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:26:51 pm by FleshForge »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2010, 12:38:33 am »

I'm looking for a forest divided by a "subduction zone" - that is, a nice forested area with a big z-level difference between one "half" and the other. [...]  Preferably with plenty of soil.

If you're looking for a "forest" in the sense of lots of trees, shrubs, ponds and soil...  concentrate on swamps.  If you want the actual biome, well, I can't remember seeing anything like in a forest-only biome.  A mountain/forest or moutain/swamp embark will give you the soil, shrubs and trees, plus the z-level divide.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2010, 01:11:19 am »

When I say forested I'm referring to the embark screen's "heavily forested" tag. This means forests, swamps and marshes, basically.

I just can't find decent sites near mountains which have enough soil layers for my liking. Plus there's always too much bumpy terrain which screws up my stockpiles.

I'll have a look at that 70 z-level forest/mountain embark posted above.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2010, 01:37:01 am »

Yeah mountain areas and soil layers are not compatible, you can find places where they overlap but you have to sift through a lot of sites that are not suitable for other reasons.  It's pretty rare to find a steep wall of cliff with a lot of vegetation on both sides - on the other hand there are a couple of nice very steep river canyons I posted earlier in the thread, the major river in both offers a good variety of embarks with tall canyons.  Not exactly what you're asking for but there are a lot of embarks in both files that have heavy trees on both sides.

Bazalgette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2010, 04:09:36 am »

Looking for an embark with the following:

Terrifying & Joyous Wilds
Upright Spoiler
No Aquifier

Optional: Sand layer, river, volcano.

Mainly looking for an embark where werewolves and ogres are a threat. Zombies and Skeletons are less ideal. If you could tell me how to alter the world gen so as to seed in more Terrifying/Joyous Wild squares, that would be excellent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:16:11 am by Bazalgette »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2010, 07:03:09 am »

To increase the odds of Terrifying/Joyous Wilds, you need to increase 3 parameters: Savagery, Good Tiles, & Evil Tiles.

I don't generally fiddle with Savagery all that much, but it shouldn't be too hard...

Taking a look at a default param set, it looks like "Minimum Number of Mid-Savagery Squares" defaults to approx one quarter of the maximum value, while "High-Savagery Squares" & "Low Savagery Squares" split the same number of tiles (these on the 2nd page from the bottom, easiest way to get their is pgup twice after going into the params), swapping the High & Mid values is probably the safest approach to what you're after.

The same param set designates less than ten percent of the tiles on map as being Good or Evil (combined) ["Desired Good/Evil Square Count"], when fiddling this, I tend to be a little extreme, I set the "Desired Good/Evil Square Count in Large Sub regions" to approx one quarter of the maximum (each), then for Medium & Small I halve the next larger value. This gets seriously aligned maps, gives me both Good & Evil to choose from depending on mood (ok, I've only intentionally embarked evil once to date, but it might happen).

Spoiler: The Geography thereof (click to show/hide)

Sorry, no specific embark sites, as I only ran this up as an example of what I was suggesting (Note: All Races have Civs if you use the above seeds & civ settings).

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2010, 07:37:16 am »

Thank you JAFANZ I have been trying to figure out how to tweak that for a while now.

Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

necroneous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2010, 04:48:24 pm »

I got lucky enough in my current seaside fort to be visited by a very fast mountain titan (entirely composed of fire).  As soon as he entered the map, he ran towards the nearest murky pool rather quickly, setting the whole map on fire, except my fortress area.  he's now stuck in that pool, having evaporated all the water when he had the bright idea to run into it.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »

I got lucky enough in my current seaside fort to be visited by a very fast mountain titan (entirely composed of fire).  As soon as he entered the map, he ran towards the nearest murky pool rather quickly, setting the whole map on fire, except my fortress area.  he's now stuck in that pool, having evaporated all the water when he had the bright idea to run into it.

Not to hijack the thread but... THAT is why i love DF.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:54 pm »

A Major river valley I thought I'd share.

Spoiler: 2 Stonesense screenies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World Gen Params (click to show/hide)

Edit: I should probably note that there is only 8z of Sky, & (IIRC) less than 50 before the SMR.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:29:05 pm by JAFANZ »

Bazalgette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2010, 04:55:28 am »

That helped me find my embark. Thanks a lot, JAFANZ! Took a while to get the 1 adamantine weapon on the stocks screen, but I finally found one. Now I can make the Terrifying/Joyous Wild worlds all the time, with a fair amount of Untamed Wilds too.

Now if only I could tame and use Dark Gnomes... I have 30 of them cages.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2010, 05:31:54 am »

That helped me find my embark. Thanks a lot, JAFANZ! Took a while to get the 1 adamantine weapon on the stocks screen, but I finally found one. Now I can make the Terrifying/Joyous Wild worlds all the time, with a fair amount of Untamed Wilds too.

Now if only I could tame and use Dark Gnomes... I have 30 of them cages.

Try modding <savegame>\raw\objects\creature_large_mountain.txt, do a find on "gnome_dark", add "[PET]" & "[PETVALUE:<value>]" (you'll have to specify your own <value>, I recommend 200, 'cos thats whats listed for Tigermen) tags between the "[BENIGN]" & "[CAN_LEARN]" tags. Use "[PET_EXOTIC]" if you're willing to wait on a DM who may or may not come.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29