Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103735 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2010, 08:42:23 pm »

You can force the map shape to be anything you want with PerfectWorldDF (look in the mod forum for links).  You can adjust temperature pretty easily by setting weighted ranges.

I've never had any luck with wieghted temperature ranges in the 2010 version.. I tried putting 1000 weight on the coldest temperature, and i think i tapered it down like 1000 - 100 - 50 - 10 - 10 or something similar.  it pretty much just generated a regular temperature world.  even setting max temperature to 50 it generated a pretty normal world.

I only got a glacial world by setting the minimum temperature to -100 and the max to 0.   there was still a temperate pole, which should have been imposible by my paramaters.  Then by the time you reached the equator, it was too cold for immigration or traders to come.

that wasnt really my desired effect, so if you have some samples of wieghted ranges being effective for temperature control, i'd love to see it.

I have had luck using weighted ranges on vulcanism and mountains and other such things, but it doesnt seem to do anything for temperature.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2010, 10:13:14 pm »

I am currently looking for an embark with the following:

Volcano
Arctic Ocean Biome (War Walruses or Bust!)
Taiga / Trees appreciated (not required)

War Walruses = neighbors besides dwarves, right?

No, I mean that I modded in the "Pet" and "Trainable" tags for Walruses. And as soon as I manage to stuff one of the devils in a cage trap, I'm going to tame them and turn them into war animals.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2010, 02:44:18 am »

Here's another very dramatic embark, CROTCHBREATH!  (not you, that's the name of the saved fort)

Features:
- Hot climate, tropical shrubland/untamed wilds with a little bit of swamp biome in the southwest
- A major river 36 tiles wide, with the embark up on a shelf, with a stream (the kind with depth) cascading down 9 z-levels
- Sand
- Additional clay layer
- Flux/Sediment, chalk
- A LOT of marble
- Plentiful trees and game (sadly, no elephants)
- A pretty high-up magma pipe in a surprisingly convenient location

While it's not quite the Grand Canyon that the other major river map I posted was, on the other hand it gets something BESIDES CAMELS, which got kind of irritating after seeing 300 dead camels in my units list.  There's moderate goblins, not as frequent or heavy as the other map, but they started showing up in big numbers for me around the early part of the 4th year.

The embark is 5x5.  If you don't want the save file and just want the seeds, I figured out a useful thing about world genning: you don't have to make the world square, it can be oblong.  This one is 129x257, since I was trying for a tropical region with a tall waterfall - again this took all day to gen and come up with a spot that had the features I was looking for, maybe there are other places on the map you'd like but I can tell you for sure that tall waterfalls and big river canyons like this do not come up very often.  I also changed the cavern ceiling depth a bit so that there's a little more space to fool around in before hitting the caverns (set to 15 instead of 5).  Enjoy!

Highlands:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lowlands:

Seed/params:

Embark location:

Save file:
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/DwarfFortress/Crotchbreath/Crotchbreath.zip
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:43:34 pm by FleshForge »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 05:26:08 am »

I created a pretty interesting world gen set up. It has much large and open caves and more z-levels even on low elevation terrain. there is no bottom layer meaning no HFS or Spoiler metal which can easily be fixed just change [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:0] to 1 instead. it is also has a high evil value I have seen entire mountains turned evil and the temps are dryer making many tropical areas all around.

This make a great challenge embark's because it much harder to avoid going around caves and you almost always have to embark on evil area to find flux stones.

Just letting you know, you didn't actually include the seed #s - here's now to get those.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 06:04:04 am »

Hmm, the last cookbook topic featured quite a lot of parameter sets, but here I see nothing but specific sites. Time to change that!

This here is the parameter set I used for my last world, I first made it as an expiriment to get as many fancy waterfall as possible. It has a rather unusual size of 129x257, I found the full 257x257 too large and the 129x129 too small. Anyhow, a list of remarkabilities:
 -Lots of rivers and waterfall indeed, majour rivers and 10 z-level + waterfalls are not uncommon.
 -Its surrounded by ocean, but inland oceans are quite uncommon.
 -Higher elevation variance for more mountainside sites and generaly more detailed geography.
 -Slightly decreased the rainfall and drainage maximum to cause for less elf overpopulation, and more desserts and wastelands (I like those)
 -Lots of volcanos, along with variance and weighting in volcanism adjusted to make volcanoes with flux nearby more common. Keep in mind that its still going to take some effort to find a decent volcano site.
 -Caverns adjusted to be more spacious and less with scribbly little pillar everywhere. Water maximum was also turned down after I got tired of my underground being an ocean all the time.

Spoiler: Worldgen params: (click to show/hide)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

tagg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2010, 02:45:38 pm »

Here's another very dramatic embark, CROTCHBREATH!  (not you, that's the name of the saved fort)

Features:
- Hot climate, tropical shrubland/untamed wilds with a little bit of swamp biome in the southwest
- A major river 36 tiles wide, with the embark up on a shelf, with a stream (the kind with depth) cascading down 9 z-levels
- Sand
- Additional clay layer
- Flux/Sediment, chalk
- A LOT of marble
- Plentiful trees and game (sadly, no elephants)
- A pretty high-up magma pipe in a surprisingly convenient location

While it's not quite the Grand Canyon that the other major river map I posted was, on the other hand it gets something BESIDES CAMELS, which got kind of irritating after seeing 300 dead camels in my units list.  There's moderate goblins, not as frequent or heavy as the other map, but they started showing up in big numbers for me around the early part of the 4th year.

The embark is 5x5.  If you don't want the save file and just want the seeds, I figured out a useful thing about world genning: you don't have to make the world square, it can be oblong.  This one is 129x257, since I was trying for a tropical region with a tall waterfall - again this took all day to gen and come up with a spot that had the features I was looking for, maybe there are other places on the map you'd like but I can tell you for sure that tall waterfalls and big river canyons like this do not come up very often.  I also changed the cavern ceiling depth a bit so that there's a little more space to fool around in before hitting the caverns (set to 15 instead of 5).  Enjoy!

Highlands:

Lowlands:

Seed/params:

Save file:
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/DwarfFortress/Crotchbreath/Crotchbreath.zip
I can't find your embark; the save file only contains the world, nothing in "continue playing" and no option to reclaim when I tried "start playing." Am I missing something obvious?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »

Oops, I thought I had zipped the game after I embarked (actually that's good that I didn't, I'll get you a location for that shortly).

thus
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:43:59 pm by FleshForge »

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2010, 09:26:06 pm »

Oops, I thought I had zipped the game after I embarked (actually that's good that I didn't, I'll get you a location for that shortly).

Actually, I'm glad you didn't, because it let me find this embark:

4x4 embark with:
  • Volcano
  • Brook
  • Sand
  • Flux (marble)
  • Obsidian
  • High/extreme cliffs

If you use a 3x3 embark instead of a 4x4, you can't get both the brook and the volcano at once. But there's a nearby aquifer that can substitute for the brook for obsidian casting purposes.

Edit: Here's another interesting volcano/brook/sand embark on a marsh, with sand just 10 tiles away from the top of the volcano shaft (go to the Z-level where the magma is lying on the surface, and there's sand just S/SE of there). Build infinite green glass walls, then capture alligators, breed them, and display them in your green glass terrariums. Mod the raws to turn PET_EXOTIC into PET (to work around the problem of having no Dungeon Master) and revel in your attack-alligator army! Scramble to defend your fortress with iron weapons and/or green glass traps until you can trade for the flux that doesn't appear on the map! Lots of Fun(TM)!!!

Embark site (you can't see the volcano since it's a reclaim pic, but it's in the SE NW corner of the 4x4 embark site):

Edit 2: In case it wasn't clear, both the above images are from the Crotchbreath worldgen params that FleshForge posted.

Edit 3: I'm an idiot. Volcano is in the NW corner of the embark site, not the SE.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:54:21 am by rmunn »
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:35 pm »

Nice, I wasn't really looking for any of that stuff at all but I'm pleased you found some other cool stuff :) 

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2010, 10:10:55 am »

Oh, looks like an island! :]
???
Profit OH GOD MY FPS NO.

Seems to generate an infinitely-collapsing volcano every time...  genned and embarked three times.  Surprised my pc didn't melt.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2010, 10:29:08 am »

You could just let it run, eventually the water will cast an obsidian plug across the magma.

Also, My contributions to the thread are going to have to be World Gen Params without specific embark recommendations.

General Notes: All races should be alive on these embarks, though obviously not all of their Civs will be, Titans & Demon #s will generally be toned down, Good &/or Evil should be turned up, Volcanos will often be high.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2010, 01:52:57 am »

Can I make a request here? (If not, ignore the rest of this post, if so, please continue reading)

I want a world almost entirely Evil Desert. That is all. I've tried messing with World Gen, increasing the number of desert tiles, and evil tiles, and with just evil increased it worked, but any messing with the desert tiles makes the world unplayable. If anyone knows better how to make this work, I'd be thankful.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2010, 03:59:33 am »

What exactly do you mean by "unplayable"?  Are you getting too many rejections?  You can just "t" during generation when a rejection warning comes up and it will stop counting that type of rejection.  I think the key settings for getting a lot of desert are "drainage" and "rainfall", you might try setting weighted ranges for those in either direction (no I don't know which way for drainage, although likely rainfall would have to be low) and just ignoring whatever warnings pop up.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2010, 05:43:14 am »

Can I make a request here? (If not, ignore the rest of this post, if so, please continue reading)

I want a world almost entirely Evil Desert. That is all. I've tried messing with World Gen, increasing the number of desert tiles, and evil tiles, and with just evil increased it worked, but any messing with the desert tiles makes the world unplayable. If anyone knows better how to make this work, I'd be thankful.
Put the rainfall maximum and drainage maximum down to 0, or something else low. What you adjusting is probabaly the minimum dessert tiles, which just makes the game reject the world if it has less. It doesnt affect world generation itself.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2010, 08:51:17 am »

Try this one:
I started by playing with the weighted mesh values, and then reducing the maximum rainfall, but I think what actually did the trick was turning off orographic precipitation.  Until I did that, I was always getting at least some grassland regions on windward slopes.

Note that I deliberately left in some non-evil, non-desert areas to allow civ placement.  In particular, I had to zero the evil square count for small regions to get any playable civs at all.  Even with these parameters, there were some rejects before it found a world with a playable civ surviving to year 1050.  Reducing the end year might help with that.

This particular world (Thur Niral, "The Universe of Portent") has one human civ, "The Greater Empires", still struggling on an isolated peninsula.  They have one town, "Furyslopped", with a population of 37.  Dwarves and goblins are extinct, elves never even got started.  The history is full of titans, dragons and bronze colossi slaughtering one civ after another.  The only dwarven civ dies out in 311, so try stopping worldgen before that if you want them still alive.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29