Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103749 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 12:04:00 am »

Could I possibly request a world with at least one tiny, tiny island (i.e. about 5x5, not touching the edge of the region tile) that's close enough to the mainland for them to be in the same embark area?
くコ:彡

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 03:11:06 am »

You can certainly request it, but the other discussion I've read was less than optimistic about finding good numbers of them; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64117.0

specifically this one
Yay. Found my own 5x6 piece of heaven. It's pretty sweet: nice vegation, there's sand and nice stone layers later on.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/boogey/Island%205x6.rar

The embark is great, but you'll have to abandon, find the place, find the worldgen params, so on and so forth, to avoid the fact that it was a reclaimed save, and thus had no mud in the caverns, all seven of his dwarves were female, and that you may or may not like his choice of embark profiles anyway.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:12:38 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2010, 03:48:06 pm »

Here's Skyweb, a truly dramatic embark.

A little more information on this map:  very brisk goblin ambushes, in my third year now and I just got two large ambush teams at the same time.  Probably because it's so close to the nearby goblin town.  Thankfully this map is about as defensible as you could possibly wish for.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 01:29:46 am »

I am currently looking for an embark with the following:

Volcano
Arctic Ocean Biome (War Walruses or Bust!)
Taiga / Trees appreciated (not required)

In my quest for the above, I managed a pretty unique world gen embark (I think). It featured a magma pipe (showed up as a volcano on the worldgen map) 3 z-levels under the ocean. It was nuts. First I was bombarded by "you've discovered X" messages, and then 5 minutes of newly formed obsidian "caving in" on itself" before the magma pipe finally managed to cap itself. Rest of the embark is haunted saltwater swamp.

Picutres / World Gen files when I figure out what I need to do to get them up and working.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2010, 02:17:14 am »

World Gen Params: Hit (Esc)ape then go into "Export Local Image" & hit (e)port. It will put 4 files in your DF root directory, 2 with name of the fortress, 2 with the name of the world, one of these will be the world gen params.

copy & paste the world gen params into data\init\world_gen.txt (I recommend changing the Title:<whatever> bit when doing this), then go into 'Design World with Parameters', select the new entry, & let 'er rip, it will generate the same world.

Next is the irritating bit:

Make a backup of your savegame, load the backup (this is usually easiest), abandon the fortress, the re-embark on that world, selecting (R)eclaim, but _not_ actually embarking. Make a note (mentally, or at least externally to DF) of the location of the Reclaim site on the 3 maps, abort, & embark on the _ReRoll_ you did above, find the same location, Highlight the actual embark zone you're recommending, take screenshots until you get one that catches the yellow "X" on the World & Region maps (on XP I use PrntScrn & paste into MSPaint), once you have a usable shot, crop it to a useful size, save it as a jpg, gif, or png, upload to a hosting site, then make a post here.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:12 am »

Volcano

This may have what you want, although the save file is unfortunately large (max size world map):
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/DwarfFortress/Clubseals

The big feature is a large plateau around the volcano rim.  I *think* it is also ocean and will get walruses (thus the name).  No trees, but you can make a tree farm once you break into the caverns ^^

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2010, 08:46:46 am »

Here's the Magma Pipe under the Ocean next to a Swamp map:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2010, 09:22:36 am »

Actually, here's a better one. Magma pipe isn't under the ocean -- just next to it. ;)

Now, a question to you more experienced world-gen ers out there -- can I fiddle with something to reduce the temperature of the world while keeping the landforms I generated the same? If so, how?

Scrippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »

Questin: If I remove temperature in the RAWs, will I never have iced-over rivers again? I'm a tad too far north, and I'd rather not wipe out the fish population every year. I'm going to need those (tamed) ones for my drowning chamber.

Grocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45:37 pm »

Question:  Is there a way to turn off/ignore a specific rejection type during world gen before you start genning?  My parameters always get hung up on not enough mountain regions (with the parameter requirement set to none, my worlds are low on low mountains which DF intrinsically dislikes) and it would be awesome to ignore that rejection in advance.
Legendary Dead Horse Beater

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2010, 03:37:10 am »

Questin: If I remove temperature in the RAWs, will I never have iced-over rivers again? I'm a tad too far north, and I'd rather not wipe out the fish population every year. I'm going to need those (tamed) ones for my drowning chamber.

You can turn off temperature in data\init\d_init.txt; that should work.  :]

Volcano

War Walruses = neighbors besides dwarves, right?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2010, 07:40:19 am »

Okay, I have a sort of weird request here.

I'm looking for a 1 or 2 z-level waterfall on a sheer cliff edge, which divides the map in a straight line. Reasonable amounts of forestation and a non-evil area would be appreciated.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 08:02:35 am »

Now, a question to you more experienced world-gen ers out there -- can I fiddle with something to reduce the temperature of the world while keeping the landforms I generated the same? If so, how?

You can force the map shape to be anything you want with PerfectWorldDF (look in the mod forum for links).  You can adjust temperature pretty easily by setting weighted ranges.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 04:51:57 pm »

Well fooling around with world gen some today and came across a fun looking volcanoe. So I thought I'd post it's details for everyone.

Unfortunately it is an island and has only dwarf access.... But I do have a way to fix that in case you want the gobbos, kobolds, elves, and humans to show up too.

Embark and abandon a fortress on the location shown above. No need to play it any at all. And when that is done you'll have the image below XP

Enjoy, I'm sure there is a couple of beach fort players that'll like this one.

Pregenned Map Link
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3135
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:14:00 pm by Patchy »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2010, 05:09:20 pm »

I created a pretty interesting world gen set up. It has much large and open caves and more z-levels even on low elevation terrain. there is no bottom layer meaning no HFS or Spoiler metal which can easily be fixed just change [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:0] to 1 instead. it is also has a high evil value I have seen entire mountains turned evil and the temps are dryer making many tropical areas all around.

This make a great challenge embark's because it much harder to avoid going around caves and you almost always have to embark on evil area to find flux stones.

Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29