Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103751 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2010, 03:10:49 pm »

It's 6x6.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 06:07:32 pm »

6x6?

hmm... I suspect thats still a bit beyond my computer, but it might be worth a look.

Thank you.

Edit1: Just realised, you don't actually provide sufficient information to find the embark site shown, HALP?!?
NB: I recommend that any future worlds specify how to find the specific embark recommended, even if it it's just textual instructions.

Edit2: Found it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit3: Neglected to mention, it looks like this can be embarked as a 4x4, from Volcano to River, without losing anything major (not going to bother running DFprospector & DFreveal comparisons).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:43:57 pm by JAFANZ »

Grocer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:49 am »

1 - how do you make lots of high mountains but not solid mountain ranges?  with lots of X and Y variation?  anybody have a sample?

2 - how do you make worlds colder (to get more glacier and frozen oceans) but still maintaining soil and rock layer variation and not getting lots of rejects?  any paramater samples?

This post doesn't have any specific embarks, nor even any recipes, but it's general info on how to craft a recipe to get closer to what you want.

AFAIK, the general information on above ground world gen stuff is the same as it was in 40d.  At least, it appears to behave the same, though I haven't had a chance to play around with it this summer.  Check Advanced world generation in the wiki, the 40d article.  To answer your questions based on that:

1 - Raise your X and Y variation, change the max and min elevation values to narrow the range of what's possible (do you really need peaks, high mountains and oceans?), set the mesh to the smallest size (the mesh size is the 'brush size' the engine uses to 'paint' features) and adjust your mesh ratios to emphasize the highest and lowest elevations (this part will need a lot of tweaking to taste).  In my experience this works easiest if you forgo having any oceans (set minimum elevation above 99), but it should be tweakable to get what ever you want.  You can find the elevation values for various biomes on the wiki.  Be aware that variation numbers scale oddly with respect to map size.  800 variation on a pocket sized map will produce a lot of variation, on a large map not so much.  I suspect what is happening is that the mesh sizes scale up along with the map size, so it's harder to get micro changes on a larger map.  That's okay, the variation limits in game are soft limits, the engine can deal with much higher numbers, so you'll need to change the world gen recipe by hand.  The main ones to change are the variation numbers (for a large world with what you want, start at 6400 and experiment from there) and the subregion (make it at least 50000).  A word of warning, you will likely get a lot of rejects for not having enough mountain regions, even with minimum regions set to none.  Just tell the game to ignore those rejects and continue, you'll still have plenty of mountains and you need to see an end result in order to tweak your recipe.

2 - The poles will be your max and min temperature values.  You can adjust the mesh sizes and ratios to tailor the temp transition.  I'd check the wiki for the appropriate values, set your temp the the range you want and change the mesh ratios to emphasize the colder temps.  I don't really know anything about layer variation and cold temps, but soil doesn't appear under glaciers.  Also, taigas are not freezing biomes, so you have to allow for warmer than freezing temperatures to get taigas (and liquid water).

You're probably going to get a lot of rejects no matter what.  That's okay.  The whole process can be extremely time consuming, especially as the world size scaling means that it's very difficult to test out a set of parameters with a small world then translate that recipe to a large one.  But that's okay, if your willing to take the time you'll eventually end up with a recipe that'll provide you with dozens of appropriate embarks basically every time you run it*.  I'd suggest checking out the old worldgen cookbook thread and copying over the essential elements of any recipe that looks promising as a starting point.

For flat embarks, set the elevation mesh to as large as possible, keep the variation low (maybe 200 for a large world, 20 or so for a pocket?), and adjust the elevation range to only include the terrain features that you want.  279-320 should give you equal amounts of grassland/forest/swamp/'hills' and low mountains and nothing else.  It'll also give a lot of rejects.  If you don't want hills (which can still be flat) keep your drainage below 50.  That'll probably work for pretty much any map size.

*Depending on what you're looking for.  The parameters are quite powerful, once you know what they're about, but things like a volcano on an ocean shore are trickier.  For that I'd suggest a lot of volcanoes coupled with elevation restrictions that keep the over all height of the map low.  The hard bit is keeping the land all joined up so you have access to civs...
Legendary Dead Horse Beater

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 12:37:24 am »

Edit1: Just realised, you don't actually provide sufficient information to find the embark site shown, HALP?!?

Well, aside from the actual save of the embark itself - if there was a trivial way to get coordinates I'd provide that.  Since I don't really know what a given embark is going to really look like until I land, it's not easy to capture this as far as I know.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 11:14:34 am »

I think I've figured out the easy way to get a larger proportion of a given climate, warm or cold e.g.  Just set the Temperature Weighted Range (X%-Y%) to 10000 for whichever band of temperature you really want, e.g. I want a lot of "Warm" so I set 60-80 to 10,000.  If you want a lot of cold tiles, set the 0-20 range to 10,000 and leave the others at 1.  The ranges appear to be 20% increments between the min and max temperatures.  I genned a couple of worlds set this way and it seems to be consistent.  This doesn't result in an excessive number of rejects either.

I expect all the weighted ranges work this way, if you want to raise the odds of having an underground volcano pipe or higher savagery average or whatever.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 02:22:35 pm »

I have a relatively specific request that I haven't been able to find laying about, if anyone can help me with it.

3x3 Embark
Not a reclaim
Terrifying
HFS
GCS
No Aquifer
Temperate, warm, or hot region
Preferably not on top of a mountain (some outside life)
Contact with Elves, Humans, and Gobbos
Steel resources (flux, bitum/lignite, iron)
Also must have -some- Adamantine, but I'm don't need a whole lot of it.

If someone can help me figure out what parameters to set for this, that would help also. I've done some of my own modding, and I've set some parameters for world gens. However, the parameters aren't always showing their results clearly so it's difficult to get the hang of.

I know Aquifers can be removed by changing certain tags, but I don't like the negative effects produced by that (no alcohol etc. at embark).

Just let me know if this is too unrealistic and the conditions are not likely to be met all at the same time.

P.S. Trying to gen a world with a lot of Terrifying area and it's not going so well. Looks like the Civs all get killed out, if the map isn't rejected outright. I tuned down the savagery and evil settings and it accepts more maps (can place Civs) but they still end up dying out.

P.P.S. It looks like if you set the savagery too high then the Elves don't get placed anywhere so I did 4500 weighted in the 0-20 savagery and 4500 weighted in the 80-100 savagery and I'm getting some really interesting results. Tough to get it so that one of each civ survives though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:25:32 pm by gramks2k »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 06:35:25 pm »

You can compensate for that by increasing the # of starting civilizations and increasing their max pop, it helps that problem quite a bit.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 06:37:54 pm »

Also, setting END_YEAR really low should help with civ survival.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:39 pm »

Removing aquifers hasn't removed alcohol on my embarks.

I think it's if you remove caverns that you lose underground plants.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 10:20:16 pm »

Here's Skyweb, a truly dramatic embark.  Features:
- Warm Desert climate
- Untamed Wilds CALM biome (oops)
- Very close proximity to a goblin town
- Sedimentary rock (chert, which for some reason I think is really cool)
- Flux (marble)
- Sand (of course), yellow
- Two waterfalls that bracket the embark point, dropping an amazing 13 z-levels into a major river canyon that is 46 tiles wide (!)

Somewhere down there is a magma pipe too.  I wish the canyon wasn't quite so wide but it took the entire day to come up with a setup like this that was more than 5 z-levels deep.  Enjoy!

Highlands:

Lowlands:

Worldgen settings:

Save file (6x6):
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pOeTpolySkwMKB7h82xRY3tXYepp79ThrIXAAAGTOqgYML62PwuzOYh-G7Hfs-OUS7bTyPTA7JMB2k8y0QmQFUw/Skyweb.zip?download&psid=1

update: I went back and looked at this region and it turned out the reason I was only ever getting camels was because the biome is CALM, oops.  Still a very cool embark location aside from the boring wildlife.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:51:10 pm by FleshForge »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »

Duuuuuude!!!

That is pretty epic, Thank you.

I've been trying for something not dissimilar, on & off, for a few days myself, but I was focussing on Limestone for my Sedimentary/Flux, & Streams or Minor Rivers as being a higher probability of existing.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 11:34:33 pm »

It literally took me all day to gen that.  Sooo many candidates ended up being unsuitable for various reasons (no flux, no goblins, lame terrain, etc).

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 11:42:46 pm »

Where is that on the embark screen? It looks bloody awesome, and I was just looking for something like this myself :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »

It's near the south edge - my advice is load the saved game, reclaim, and if you really don't want to be 6x6 you can note the location and re-gen the world from the seeds as described earlier in the thread.  I really wish you could see world coordinates after embark.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2010, 12:02:19 am »

Yeah, I ended up genning from scratch and hunting for it. Being warm actually puts it in a pretty narrow band, and desert + major river narrows it further. :P

To anyone else looking for it, it's about a third of the way up from the bottom edge, and a little to the left of the centre line. Look for a major river running east west through a yellow sand desert.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29