Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103769 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »

okay, i guess i didnt know what the hell i was talking about on that costal volcano thing.  I've got a world with a volcano RIGHT ON the coast, on a cliff overlooking the ocean.  The downside (or upside, if you hate migrants and raids) is that its on one of the island specks.

If anyone wants the seed and location, i can dig them out.  i guess theyre not as rare as i thought, so you can probalby just crank up vulcanism and get the same thing on your own.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »

I'm hoping we can use this as a place to request & share world_gen param sets that fulfill the embark desires of players who, like myself, are excessively picky
At the moment I'm looking for an embark Volcano in close proximity to "infinite water", with the Volcano in a Hill/Cliff (i.e. not a Flat map, which is what all the other such threads seem to be looking for).
Assistance will be (& is) appreciated.

Great idea. I'm hoping to find a volcano with a river and seashore and goblin fortress, Preferably non-flat. Optionally with a zombie-slade fortress down below, though verifying this in first sight is hard, so I can give up on that.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2010, 01:34:31 pm »

I figured it just boiled down to rolling enough times and patience.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »

okay, sorry for the specific embark requests.  this is a good and usefull topic, so i've got some specific questions about paramaters:

1 - how do you make lots of high mountains but not solid mountain ranges?  with lots of X and Y variation?  anybody have a sample?

2 - how do you make worlds colder (to get more glacier and frozen oceans) but still maintaining soil and rock layer variation and not getting lots of rejects?  any paramater samples?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

Puke: np, it was intended for specific embark requests.

For dispersed Mountain Ranges, I had to use DFPerfectWorld, with a really broken elevation map (IIRC I moved both features & smoothness all the way right).

As for the other other, I'm trying to get rid of or reduce the Glacial/Freezing zones, with no discernable luck (I was trying to gen a world entirely Temperate to Hot with River valleys out the wazoo. I failed).

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 06:36:23 pm »

Keep in mind that you're never going to get a map with every single tile a suitable embark location unless it's truly tiny - that huge mass of mountains actually has hundreds of suitable suits all along the edges and sometimes even in the interior.  You may want to try turning off the option "Periodically erode extreme cliffs" though.

As for temperature, I assume you tried paying with the Temperature Frequency params, no luck there?  I believe even if you get a lot of rejections, as soon as you're prompted about them you can just ignore that warning and it will go on genning.
Edit: I see what you mean about temparature, I can't see any combination of settings that produces all-cold or all-hot.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:14:47 pm by FleshForge »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

yeah, i tried using some weighted meshes to lower the temperature, and i dropped the max temperature down to 50.  neither one seemed to help.

you can fix the rejections by nulling-out some of the requirements.  Somewhere the idea of polar hot and cold areas is hard coded, I cant crank out a large world that isnt hot on one pole and cold on the other, although I havent set the extremes of X/Y variance.  I thought I saw it in an init file somewhere, but maybe i'm just remembering an old dev-note.

I think something to try is upping the number of Glacier / Tundra biomes.  Do you get Tiaga when you have a frozen forest?  its probalby okay to have forrest and desert biomes too, as they can both be freezing.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2010, 11:53:04 pm »

... although I havent set the extremes of X/Y variance.

I did that, and actually set the min and max temperatures even lower (0-30) although I didn't mess with # of tiles for each biome.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 12:28:38 am »

okay, cranking it down to -100 min and 0 max definitly makes shit cold.  the problem then is that it is exclusively cold, without any non-freezing biomes.  so you've got no elves or humans to kick around.

also, its so far outside of the 25-75 default that i'm concerned that it is going to be so cold that it is damaging.  regular glaciers can already cause damage in the winter, and cranking it down to -100 could make the entire world instadeath.

on the other hand, the seemingly hard-coded poles might be exceptions to the 25-75 (or whatever you set it to) range.   for example, even when i set the max temperature to 0, one of the poles is still temperate while the rest of the world is frozen.

edit: its worth noting that with those super-cold paramaters, i'm not getting any tiaga or frozen deserts.  not sure why.  nothing but tundra and glaciers and mountains.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:42:45 am by puke »

ouroborus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 06:55:10 am »

Great idea. I'm hoping to find a volcano with a river and seashore and goblin fortress, Preferably non-flat. Optionally with a zombie-slade fortress down below, though verifying this in first sight is hard, so I can give up on that.

I'm kinda curious about what your plans are for such a site.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »

The area from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63144.0
  • Volcano
  • Cliffs
  • Sand
  • Brook
  • Trees
  • 3 Layers of Caverns
  • Sedimentary Flux
  • All types of rock, and apparently over 10k units of *spoilerrock*

Is there any wonder I chose it for the game? ;)

Maybe a bit. I got an area with a goblin tower, swamp, cliffs, brook and a volcano to start with. :(

Too bad, I was rather looking and hoping for a goblin tower & volcano -combo with a big river for aggressive fish (any carps in 2010?), a lake or a sea shore. Volcano-brook combos are a dime a dozen once you set volcano number to 200. Getting one by a goblin tower should be relatively easy with a few tries, but a proper, lush aquaeous ecosystem as well would be nice, but have yet to locate/generate one.

On that note, why is the generation system creating so many rejects? Sounds to me like something is seriously being done ass-backwards in the world creation process. Like using even distributions but selecting only ones with certain biases that hit criteria, instead of smartly putting the bias in the distributions in the first place to get the desired kind of results and not wasting time on any rejects.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »

Yes there are carp in the current version, although I understand they have been toned down a lot from past versions.  For whatever reason I don't tend to get very many rejects at all unless I set values like Min Volcanism or Min Savagery to 20+, probably because there is another cap when figuring distributions for these values that it's conflicting with, like the frequency ranges for that value.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »

Here's a great embark that has almost everything:
A volcano
Sedimentary layer that covers most of the map (rock salt)
Plentiful metals
Plentiful trees
Flux (marble)
Obsidian
Sand (red)
A small stream
Untamed Wilds biome
Warm climate

DOOM HOUSE, where they make very odd-looking ... figurines.

Enjoy :)
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/DwarfFortress/Doomhouse

World_Gen settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Map:

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 05:17:19 am »

Could I possibly request a world with at least one tiny, tiny island (i.e. about 5x5, not touching the edge of the region tile) that's close enough to the mainland for them to be in the same embark area?
くコ:彡

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:04 am »

Here's a great embark that has almost everything:
A volcano
Sedimentary layer that covers most of the map (rock salt)
Plentiful metals
Plentiful trees
Flux (marble)
Obsidian
Sand (red)
A small stream
Untamed Wilds biome
Warm climate

DOOM HOUSE, where they make very odd-looking ... figurines.

Enjoy :)
<snip>
Map:

What is that? 7x7? ouch...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29