Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103771 times)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 08:33:50 am »

This might be a bit much, but has anyone gen'd a world where a surface source of magma, a river/brook and human town of '*' or larger are in reasonable proximity to each other?
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 09:24:10 am »

Im quite certain that is impossible. Volcanoes seem to count as mountain tiles, and humans dont like mountains.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:29 am »

Volcanic Islands are gimme. If you have Oceans & Volcanos, odds are you have volcanic islands, which may or may not have the volcano tile in proximity to a water tile.

I've never seen this in 2010, or even the last version before that.  Whatever version removed the minor volcanos and magma pools, we also seem to have lost the ability for volcanos to share a region tile with other features.

even the very common specks of volcanic islands, theyre on solid land with 4-8 tiles of coast surrounding them.  the actual costline apears on what displays as world-map "ocean" tiles.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 01:09:26 pm »

i can never get a volcano beside an ocean.  does anyone have a good costal volcano embark?
or maybe something with a river in a very steep/deep valley?
Not a river, but a brook with volcano, trees, and sand.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't remember what kind of layers there are (I believe I was trying to get a waterfall), but a quick glance at the surface I can see obsidian, dacite, and rhyolite.
The volcano raises the ground 20 z-levels above the brook.

Spoiler: World Gen info (click to show/hide)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 11:45:54 am »

even by cranking volcanos up and ignoring warnings, i can never get a volcano beside an ocean.  does anyone have a good costal volcano embark?

or maybe something with a river in a very steep/deep valley?  possibly with a waterfall or joining river?

Just genned this in DF v0.31.12:

Haven't actually embarked on it yet, but it's got 2 volcanic sites I consider interesting:

1) A Volcano adjacent to Ocean & Salt Water Swamp biomes (but no Sedimentary layer AFAICT):

&

2) a Volcano adjacent to a Brook, with a Sedimentary Layer (Marble is listed):

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »

One of my seeds came up with something perfect for that...  unfortunately, I can't remember which frakkin' one and I have about twenty.  >_>

I'll see if it's one of the ones I haven't deleted...

[ETA]  ...and I not only deleted the parameters, but didn't back up the seed.  Meh.  I've been on a binge trying to get a nice ocean embark; if something appropriate pops up, I'll just edit this post.

[ETA2]
This gives me two 3x3 volcano-and-brook embarks with very high cliffs.  Neither have flux, unfortunately, but both have sand.  One has more granite/gabbro and an obsidian layer, but it's sinister mountains/calm badlands (expect virtually no aboveground trees/shrubs, with a chance of undead giant eagles).  The other is plain old "heavily-forested" neutral freshwater swamp.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:12:37 pm by melomel »
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 07:44:52 pm »

even by cranking volcanos up and ignoring warnings, i can never get a volcano beside an ocean.  does anyone have a good costal volcano embark?

or maybe something with a river in a very steep/deep valley?  possibly with a waterfall or joining river?

I wound up with this world today. It's not *quite* coastal as it requires a larger-than-average embark site, but here's a pic. of it anyway.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 01:09:45 am »

so Jafanz and Veok, please chime in after you actually embark on those locations and see what theyre like.  I've seen similar things, and those tiles are always (in my experience) just sand areas.  theres no ocean there, you've got to go to the next region tile over to actually find the coastline or any water.

I'll fire up one of those seeds and check it out, but I dont think its actually possible to get a seaside volcano in this version.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 01:41:18 am »

Doing the actual ocean embark I highlighted above, the ocean is there, but only 1z deep, & there is probably 1 "local" tile worth of non-ocean in between the volcano & the water.

& after taking a look with DFProspector...

Actual DFProspector output:

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 03:18:45 am »

Er, Jafanz, you have plentiful copper and tin on that site. Bronze isn't perfect, but it's a very nice metal for armor and weapons.

I'm looking for a Joyous Wilds forest, completely flat, no aquifers, at least three layers of soil and a brook. Sedimentary layers preferred, and all civs should be alive. (I'd like a relatively small world, but anything Medium or lower will be fine.)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 04:28:37 am »

Actually, I like Bronze. I didn't see it when I looked 'cos I apparently misspeeled "Casseritite" when using 'Find'. Oops.

So I thought there was a butt-load of Copper, but no Tin.

Sorry.

Edit1: As for Aquifers, I just went ahead & modded them out (I'm using Lazy Newb), so I actually had to put them back into "2fer" before capping the screens (which, come to think of it, might possibly have affected the depth of the ocean in my subsequent embark, which was back to the default).

Edit2: & whilst I could probably find you a flat Joyous Wilds forest, all my current worlds are quite large (3 129x129, 2 257x257, 1 257x65)

Edit3: Hmm... "Completely Flat" seems to be something of an ask.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:03:42 am by JAFANZ »

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 05:07:52 am »

I'm looking for a Joyous Wilds forest, completely flat, no aquifers, at least three layers of soil and a brook. Sedimentary layers preferred, and all civs should be alive. (I'd like a relatively small world, but anything Medium or lower will be fine.)

I'm no expert in worldgen tuning, but a few minutes got me this:

And here's the embark:
There might be even better locations on the map, I just picked the first one that had all the features you asked for.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 06:49:36 am »

Ooh, thanks. Hopefully the goblins being at war won't cause too many problems.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 11:24:24 am »

Edit3: Hmm... "Completely Flat" seems to be something of an ask.  :-\

often times the 1 level variations that make things look like they might be hilly are actually just murkey pools.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 01:28:03 pm »

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're talking about, but this is my favorite "I just want to set up something easy" locations I've found:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61330.0

About the only thing it doesn't have is sand.  Also I was wrong - it does have elves.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29