Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103821 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2010, 05:25:33 pm »

(Cue Professor Farnsworth voice)

GOOD NEWS, everyone! I've found a site with the following features:

-flat volcano!
     -brook!
     -all 4 civs alive
     -genned in 31.16!
     -savage tropical moist broadleaf forest!
     -optional savage mountains! Lose nothing, gain giant eagles!
     -completely flat map! (even the mountain squares are flat stone)!
     -plenty of hematite!
     -giant cave spider webs!
     -no upright weapons!
     -thick; heavily forested
     -a dwarf civ named "The Incinerated Sack"

Lacks sand and flux. (Unless you swap peat and sand!) Weather is Scorching. Two murky pools empty into the volcano on embark, but after that it should be smooth sailing.

Spoiler: params (click to show/hide)

Uh... pardon me for asking a very stupid question, but where in the hell is the embark?

Its Professor Farnsworth, do you really want to know?
Cage traps are my magma.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:58 pm »

Bottom-most section of the map, there's a string of 5 volcano tiles in a row. The embark you're looking for is in the middle volcano.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2010, 03:50:19 am »

Anyone have an evil ocean that actually has undead in it?

I've been trying off and on in several different versions for quite a while and all I get is wildlife from the land biome.

Is there some trick to this i'm not getting or am I just unlucky? :/

I do think one of my .12 installs might have been a bit weird because good biomes never had any non-vermin wildlife at all, but i've even reinstalled .12 since then and it's worked fine.

Edit: I'd prefer skeletal whales, but if i can only get zombie ones that's fine.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2010, 04:01:16 am »

Unfortunately there does seem to be some luck involved there.  It's made a bit worse because even if the biome can produce them, generally it won't until you've been on the map for "a while" - I suspect there's a minimum time of like a year, maybe two, before the heavy nasty stuff will appear.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All 3 Savage in one embark
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2010, 04:14:35 am »

I found one good embark with all 3 savage environments in 2x7, major river and volcano.

Babbling also in: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47986.msg1660820#msg1660820

World: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3312
Worldgen file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3327

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2010, 04:52:41 am »

tried catapults world gen, got an underwater volcano.

I had one under sea. Embarked, the water flowed in and encased it in obsidian. Unfortunately it was 1z below water surface when it all ended, so no going there.

We really need boats and a method to carry and drop magma.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2010, 05:44:46 am »

A general cool thing about very rainy forested biomes - no matter how hard you rape the environment, when you stop looking at it for a while and come back, it's pretty much back to how it looked when you embarked, fresh for more environmental raping.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2010, 06:59:05 am »

Anyone have an evil ocean that actually has undead in it?
I've been trying off and on in several different versions for quite a while and all I get is wildlife from the land biome.
Is there some trick to this i'm not getting or am I just unlucky? :/
Edit: I'd prefer skeletal whales, but if i can only get zombie ones that's fine.
I think you need to hunt and fish out regularly whatever you have to get more and get some variation in it.
Pretty much the same in any biomes.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2010, 07:02:42 am »

A general cool thing about very rainy forested biomes - no matter how hard you rape the environment, when you stop looking at it for a while and come back, it's pretty much back to how it looked when you embarked, fresh for more environmental raping.
Yeah. Except when all your water channels grow full of trees.

bragos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2010, 02:19:33 pm »

hi,

all the options in the world gen are a bit confusing to me, but i really would like to be able to generate a shallow world, ie where in the low areas there would only be a few layers of rock above the magma see, which params should i tweak to get that to happen? or isnt it possible at all?

cheers!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2010, 05:42:51 pm »

Never tried this myself so not sure how it'll pan out

Given such a shallow map you probably want to disable or reduce caverns.
There is an option for number of cavern layers: 'Cavern Layer Number' Accepts 0-5 with 3 being default

You are probably also wanting to tweak the following settings to get your shallow world:

'Maximum Elevation' - This defines how high land can get and supresses things like mountains.  Bear in mind dwarven civs start in unsavage mountains, you need at least enough to get a dwarf civ in or the world wont be playable (rejected)

'Elevation Y variance' - I think stops the elevation from fluctuating so much, lowering the value above may render this fairly moot

'Z levels above xxxxxx' - there are 6 of these variables, with the x's denoting ground and layers 1-5, from my understanding these dictate the amount of z levels between certain underground features.  5 is HFS, 4 magma sea, 3-1 are the various caverns and ground is...well...the ground.  im not certain how the values you put in here dictate what actually appears, the defaults are small values, much smaller than the # of z-levels you will actually see

Overall i've not been hugely helpful, I dont know what values you need to generate the world you want, however the variables i listed are likely the ones involved.  It may in the longrun be easier to attempt to sculpt something in PerfectWorld
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:04:37 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

lastrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2010, 01:40:52 pm »

Here is wilderness frozen biome:
- sedimentary
- flux
- magma pipe in first cavern ( center of map )
- sand

DFProspector:

how to find:

Layers info:

World itself(6mb)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=3355&f=region2.tar.gz
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:52:18 pm by lastrix »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:07 pm »

Why are you playing the Windows version via Wine? FPS got too high?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

canon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2010, 03:02:12 am »

tried catapults world gen, got an underwater volcano.

I had one under sea. Embarked, the water flowed in and encased it in obsidian. Unfortunately it was 1z below water surface when it all ended, so no going there.

We really need boats and a method to carry and drop magma.
a bridge constructed of floors might work. you would have to make a pretty big power supply, though.
I managed to find a spot in between the aquifier, and dug down below. the floors beneath the sea is still a soil layer...so assuming you manage to drain the ocean, you'd have plenty of arable land if you wanted to do some outside farming.

lastrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:01 am »

dfhack doesn't support 31.16 linux version, so i have to make this trick. Actually i'm not much with fps, it always wants to become so <censored> small =( intel atom d510.
Why are you playing the Windows version via Wine? FPS got too high?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29