Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29

Author Topic: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread  (Read 103861 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 WorldGen "Cookbook" Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:39 pm »

That's already pretty specific :)  Reading the info on the new release of DF, rivers have been adjusted a lot and large rivers should be more randomly distributed, which is a good thing, there may be some hope that you can roll something like this without a thousand hearbreaks before you find it.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »

I'm looking into Perfect World as well, I haven't used it as of yet but it looks promising for specific features like this.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2010, 01:15:00 am »

To increase the odds of Terrifying/Joyous Wilds, you need to increase 3 parameters: Savagery, Good Tiles, & Evil Tiles.

I don't generally fiddle with Savagery all that much, but it shouldn't be too hard...

Taking a look at a default param set, it looks like "Minimum Number of Mid-Savagery Squares" defaults to approx one quarter of the maximum value, while "High-Savagery Squares" & "Low Savagery Squares" split the same number of tiles (these on the 2nd page from the bottom, easiest way to get their is pgup twice after going into the params), swapping the High & Mid values is probably the safest approach to what you're after.

The same param set designates less than ten percent of the tiles on map as being Good or Evil (combined) ["Desired Good/Evil Square Count"], when fiddling this, I tend to be a little extreme, I set the "Desired Good/Evil Square Count in Large Sub regions" to approx one quarter of the maximum (each), then for Medium & Small I halve the next larger value. This gets seriously aligned maps, gives me both Good & Evil to choose from depending on mood (ok, I've only intentionally embarked evil once to date, but it might happen).

Spoiler: The Geography thereof (click to show/hide)

Sorry, no specific embark sites, as I only ran this up as an example of what I was suggesting (Note: All Races have Civs if you use the above seeds & civ settings).
Sweet, this was exactly what I was looking for. Just had to up the map size to medium and tune for personal preferences in caverns.

Should I embark to The Terror-Jungle of Doom, The Wastes of Blame, or The Jungle of Plagues? Who am I kidding? The Terror-Jungle of Doom of course!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2010, 08:20:16 am »

Welcome to WATERBOARDED, where we have:
- Warm climate
- Sand
- Magma pipe
- A nice little brook
- Plentiful trees, ALL DEAD
- Terrifying tropical coniferous forest, so probably (definitely!) undead elephants (in great abundance!), with part of the area also Untamed Wilds/Mountain; it also gets regular elephants!
- Sedimentary layer (chert)
- NO FLUX
- Plus a friendly bunch of neighbors downstairs!

Embark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worldgen Parameters:
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/DwarfFortress/Waterboarded/Waterboarded-params.txt

Save file (between embarks so you can pick embark size):
http://cid-b233dcaeefa9709c.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/DwarfFortress/Waterboarded/Waterboarded.zip

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:53:48 am by FleshForge »

hornback

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »

Is there any way to increase the likelihood that a volcano will spawn with a sedimentary layer? I'm trying to do an embark that has it all. I want to be able to have a volcano, trees, flux, sedimentary, and a river/brook right next to each other. I can usually get close after a few attempts at playing with the parameters, but by far the largest issue is the lack of a sedimentary layer. It is very rare that I get a volcano next to one.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »

I think that is more or less down to luck.

The chances of a sedimentary biome and a volcanic one overlapping are rather slim, but you should find one if you keep trying for a while.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2010, 05:24:34 pm »

I actually posted an embark earlier in the thread that has what you're looking for (Doomhouse).

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »

Does anyone have a Very small embark area (2x2 or 2x3 pref, but can cope with 3x3) with:
a volcano (or magma pipe very close to the surface)
Flux
surface fresh water source
Would like
sand
chaotic
Sedimentary layers

Edit:Funnily enough, no longer needed. I have one! With all those things. only in 31.13 though
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:52:56 pm by Gutanoth »
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2010, 07:50:24 pm »

Excellent thread. I've grabbed a couple nice embarks out of here. Thanks to everyone who has added something.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »

Has anyone had any success getting a volcano near a river or major river? It doesn't seem to happen, even with 200 volcanos in wet river infested areas.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2010, 01:19:32 pm »

Closest I've ever seen was a couple of Magma Pools that topped out 2 or 3 z-levels below the river level, but I don't have that embark or the world gen params for it any more. Sorry.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2010, 02:02:09 pm »

I don't think it's possible to get any type of river mid map tile to overlap a volcano tile, although yeah I have gotten magma pools that are very near rivers.

edit: woops, that's not exactly what you said of course - it's possible to get a river nearby, yes.  TBH just turn up rivers and volcanoes to maximum and roll some maps, you'll get that eventually.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:21:24 pm by FleshForge »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:13 pm »

By "nearby" I assume NKDietrich means "on the same region tile", personally I've only ever seen Brooks in Regions with Volcanos.

But the dual-Magma Pool embark I mentioned did have the Magma Pools sticking about 7 levels above the 1st Cavern, unfortunately it was less than 30 from the top of the 1st Cavern to the Magma Sea.

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2010, 11:16:30 pm »

By "nearby" I assume NKDietrich means "on the same region tile", personally I've only ever seen Brooks in Regions with Volcanos.

But the dual-Magma Pool embark I mentioned did have the Magma Pools sticking about 7 levels above the 1st Cavern, unfortunately it was less than 30 from the top of the 1st Cavern to the Magma Sea.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible. Getting lucky with magma pipes seems to be the only answer. I think FleshForge posted an embark here with a readily accessible magma pipe and a stream or river. I'll have to look.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2010, 11:18:26 pm »

Yeah both of the big river canyon maps I posted have magma pools somewhere on them iirc.  The desert one is pretty spiffy but I hope you like camels; the jungle one's friendlier but the terrain isn't quite as cool.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29