Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cooking for noobs?  (Read 444 times)

Croswell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cooking for noobs?
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:41:00 am »

Currently I make stonecrafts for trading. I keep reading that cooking is the way to go for trading profits, but I have not been able to find a decent guide to cooking.

Can someone give me a link to a guide or a quick overview of each step of the process. Ie: I need X dogs, Y butchers/tanners, and Z kitchens? Is that it or is there more needed? I read the wiki, but I am apparently cooking-tarded.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking for noobs?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:46:42 am »

There isn't really anything to it, just have a variety of ingredients and a kitchen.  Simple meal = two ingredients, Fine meal = 3 ingredients, Lavish meal = 4 ingredients (pretty sure).  Meat, fish, seeds, liquor and maybe other things besides will be combined to make prepared food with an aggregated value of all the materials and the skill/successfulness of the cook, possibly affected by the value of the kitchen (doubtful).  The thing is to cook with high-value ingredients like elephant or unicorn, so the biome of the embark is important.  Be sure to make use of the also-valuable leather and bone and crap.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:48:15 am by FleshForge »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:13 am »

ok so easiest way to start cooking trade:1. grow plump helmets, the seeds grows two at a time simple for knuckle-heads to figure out. 2. farm animals, you don't have to feed them enough said. 3. try to cook lavish meals with some expert doing it. 4. really stonecrafting sucks? best way to get rid of rocks without lava and by making money.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:58 am »

1: Find food.
2: Make tons of basic meals at kitchen until cook reaches Legendary status.
3: Get a massive stack of food (butchering a large creature works - dragons are the traditional source, as they have a massive value multiplier as well)
4: Make lavish meal from stack.
???
5. Profit.

You can max out efficiency by disabling the cooking of brewable plants in the kitchen area of the overview/z-screen and just brewing them all to abuse the "one plant equals five booze" mechanic, and can use quarry bush leaves for a similar result.

Ninja'd, but I'll post anyway.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:54:58 am »

sweet pods and quarry bushes.

At your farmers workshop, process sweet pods into dwarven syrup (☼100 value - needs a barrel) and quarry bushes into leaves (☼25 value - needs a bag)

Disable cooking on everything but those 2 and make quarry bush and dwarven syrup roasts.  Cooking liquids takes 1 'solid' item and 3 liquids, so you use 1 bag of quarry bush leaves and 3 barrels of dwarven syrup to a roast.  This is a high concentration of value in one item, which is best for trading.  The other option for the solid is whip vine flour, but that is harder to find and is a surface crop.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:57:18 am by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.