Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Woah  (Read 3355 times)

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woah
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 12:23:49 pm »

3D Studio Max and Maya with Vegas or Mental Ray plugin makes DirectX and OpenGL look bad!

And it only takes several hours more per frame! I mean, c'mon!

Yes that's always the kicker isn't it? And to think of the foot-in-mouth things so many IT industry top dogs said regarding performance. The famous "640k is enough" comes promptly to mind.

And John Romero's (I think? Might've been Carmack) statement that 80000 polygons would be the point at which we'd hit photorealism.

I want less creation of physics engines and better implementation of the existing ones! I mean, we still have invincible buildings and scenery for 95% of PC games! Granted, Red faction Guerrilla was laggy as hell but that was mostly down to the terrible, terrible port. If it was well ported and buildings didn't collapse when you squinted at them, that would be a reasonable example of using a physics engine to make stuff go boom.

Also more junk lying around in FPS/3rd person shooter games. I wanna wade through the debris dammit!

I don't care WHAT physics engine they use they must just start using em! Improvement only occurs when there's a sufficient demand for it, so MORE PHYSX GAMES NAO.
Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 04:26:47 pm »

I don't think Carmack said that, at least not in the last decade. Games push several million polys today, and I think Carmack would have known that for quite a while.

The issue with photorealism these days is lighting anyways.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 04:41:08 pm »

Granted, Red faction Guerrilla was laggy as hell but that was mostly down to the terrible, terrible port. If it was well ported and buildings didn't collapse when you squinted at them, that would be a reasonable example of using a physics engine to make stuff go boom.

They ported that? I have it for the PS3 and get no lag at all. Just building-destroying goodness.

NOTHING like what's in this video, though.

Oh my God, can you imagine playing RFG's sequel with this kind of material deformation and realistic physics? Squeeeeee! Where's my sledgehammer?!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 04:45:26 pm »

They ported that? I have it for the PS3 and get no lag at all. Just building-destroying goodness.

NOTHING like what's in this video, though.

Oh my God, can you imagine playing RFG's sequel with this kind of material deformation and realistic physics? Squeeeeee! Where's my sledgehammer?!
I have it for the 360, and there's no lag there either. I love that game's physics engine with a passion. I remember things like causing a building such displaced stress that it sheared itself apart down the center, riding inside a building falling down a hill, and causing harm to a building so that the entire front of it fell down and crushed the opposing team when we were all hiding inside it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 04:59:04 pm »

Oh, god, RFG. A great game, but dear sweet fucking Jesus that was a terribad port. Horrific lag everywhere, with no reason. I timed it at one point during a mission. 2 minutes to run past the back of a car. 2. Minutes. That's just stupid. If it wasn't such a good game, I'd've uninstalled it so quickly.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 05:00:04 pm »

I would love to see better physics in an FPS, or anything for that matter. It'd be so much fun to actually be able to blow things up. I want my rocket launcher to actually do some visible damage other than a scorch mark on the wall :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »

And the fact that most of the photorealism is used by games whos colors are almost all shades of brown.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »

I would love to see better physics in an FPS, or anything for that matter. It'd be so much fun to actually be able to blow things up. I want my rocket launcher to actually do some visible damage other than a scorch mark on the wall :P

Then RFG is the game for you. Console, not PC.

Ooh, they ARE coming out with a sequel to RFG... but it's apparently running (mostly) the same physics engine, it's just got aliens and gibs in it now. But it's also got things similar to the HL2 Gravity Gun. Oooooh...

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:09 pm »

Then RFG is the game for you. Console, not PC.

Ooh, they ARE coming out with a sequel to RFG... but it's apparently running (mostly) the same physics engine, it's just got aliens and gibs in it now. But it's also got things similar to the HL2 Gravity Gun. Oooooh...
A game with a good physics engine is never complete without a gravity gun or something similar :D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »

And the fact that most of the photorealism is used by games whos colors are almost all shades of brown.
Haven't you heard, real is brown.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »

I hate game developers that decide that everything could use more bloom.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 05:33:47 pm »

Already saw that before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 05:37:22 pm »

Battlefield 2 Bad Company got a lot stuff you can smash, you can allmost entirely level some maps. The houses are rather simple though, no objects in there and the walls you blow out are all in set shapes. Still its fun blowing up a whole village to find a single sniper.

They did kind of overdid it to the point where you can smash apart metal fences with a single knife stroke. Player collision is also pretty crummy, smaller objects dont impede the player at all. At least you can walk around on larger gibs. Dancing on a the helecopter you just shot down is kinda fun.

No gravity gun though. Boohoo...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 05:41:16 pm »

I'd like to see games with a lot of destruction that don't make it a gimmick.  I mean, obviously there'd be a big tactical element, but I don't like seeing games where it's obviously designed around using the destruction.  Make a town, have your hired tactics expert tell you where he'd position his men, position the men there, place the guy, go for it.  Don't design the terrain around the game, design the game around the terrain.
Shoes...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 06:51:29 pm »

I'd like to see games with a lot of destruction that don't make it a gimmick.  I mean, obviously there'd be a big tactical element, but I don't like seeing games where it's obviously designed around using the destruction.  Make a town, have your hired tactics expert tell you where he'd position his men, position the men there, place the guy, go for it.  Don't design the terrain around the game, design the game around the terrain.

I think Silent Storm fits that description.
Pages: 1 [2]