Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woah  (Read 3352 times)

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woah
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:34:53 am »

This is just awesome. Makes PhysX look bad and Havok even worse.

Lagoa multiphysics demo

Bout time. When you have up to 6 physical cores running at 3.2GHz each (ignoring performance overhead that's over 19GHz of processing power) I'd say you have a pretty decent basis for realistic physics.

Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: Woah
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:46:23 am »

That is insane!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:46:59 am »

Man, these always look neat to watch.

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:18:43 am »

PhysX can do a lot, actually -- it's just rendering on the fly that's hard. Even with a hexacore running ridiculously fast, rendering this kind of stuff live (PhysX, by the way) is out of reach. It's a pity we won't see more of this in games for a while yet -- modern consoles have such horrendous hardware.

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:11:42 am »

Considering the price ranges they were designed for consoles had amazingly good specs for the time, but I  digress. :P I've never disliked PhysX - I've wanted a lot more games to implement it. Mirror's Edge was even more awesome with PhysX.

I'm hoping that CUDA and ATI's equivalent (forget what it's called) help with this more than they have so far. It's not so much the calculations themselves that chew through processing time but the fact that they need to be processed serially, which considering the number of objects needed for any realistic physics simulation will bog down the average CPU as every object needs to "wait it's turn".

Hell, I actually think ATI would perform better on the physics simulation side than nVidia (and I'm an nVidiot :P) simply due to the fact that their cards can handle a greater number of parallel calculations, and for physics the processing power isn't as important as simultaneously calculated objects. There would still be overhead since things would still need to go through the CPU, but far less.

I'm betting you ATI's gonna grab up Lagoa, once both major companies have their own physics software I think (PC) game companies might actually start taking greater notice of physics in games (aside from ye olde Havok ragdoll).

And for anyone who wants to dispute the advantages of parallel processing of many relatively similar calculations... try the CUDA version of F@H or hell, grab Apophysis and Flam4Cuda and compare rendering times on CPU and on GPU. You lose out a bit in precision but that's being worked on slowly but surely.

And then I could just be talking out of my gat but I needed to get all that out :P
Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:16:16 am »

Uh, woah what? PhysX can do this.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:02:10 am »

This is really cool, but do games really need cloth simulation, or bricks that turn into fine powder? All games really need are some nice object interactions and ragdolls. When was the last time you wanted you cover up your enemies in blankets or spray some dust in their faces?
Crumbly structures are nice, but they can be done in both Havok (?) and PhysX. Valve did some very nice collapsing structures in episode 2.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:03:41 am by ILikePie »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:12:47 am »

This is really cool, but do games really need cloth simulation, or bricks that turn into fine powder? All games really need are some nice object interactions and ragdolls. When was the last time you wanted you cover up your enemies in blankets or spray some dust in their faces?
Crumbly structures are nice, but they can be done in both Havok (?) and PhysX. Valve did some very nice collapsing structures in episode 2.

Hey, when I smother my enemy to death with a pillow, I want that pillow to look REAL damnit.

And then I can throw his ashes into the ocean, just for the purposes of completing this analogy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:22:11 am »

I was having a hard time buying that that wasn't just video of a convincing hoax untill it switched to showing the controls. The water rendering looks like...water. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:38:23 am »

Hey, when I smother my enemy to death with a pillow, I want that pillow to look REAL damnit.

And then I can throw his ashes into the ocean, just for the purposes of completing this analogy.

Although I can enjoy a game that doesn't have extreme visual fidelity (I play DF don't I? :P ) I do enjoy a pretty game, so anything that makes it look or play better is good. Advanced physics simulation isn't necessarily NEEDED in games, but then neither are the shiny particle effects and texture maps.

If they ever make another game like Dark Messiah, imagine how awesome it would be after benefiting from a really powerful physics engine? Short it was, but oh so sweet...

*kicks an orc down a flight of stairs into some conveniently located spikes*

Help Miqo grow!

Groovedbells

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:56:32 am »

3D Studio Max and Maya with Vegas or Mental Ray plugin makes DirectX and OpenGL look bad!

And it only takes several hours more per frame! I mean, c'mon!

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:09:31 am »

I want less creation of physics engines and better implementation of the existing ones! I mean, we still have invincible buildings and scenery for 95% of PC games! Granted, Red faction Guerrilla was laggy as hell but that was mostly down to the terrible, terrible port. If it was well ported and buildings didn't collapse when you squinted at them, that would be a reasonable example of using a physics engine to make stuff go boom.

Also more junk lying around in FPS/3rd person shooter games. I wanna wade through the debris dammit!
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:40 am »

One thing that i want to see this used for is liquids, i really want a game where water is water, not just a bottom layer of a map that you dig down to, i want to be able to dam a valley and sink my foes in glorius H2O
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:07:52 am »

Isn't stuff like this already ridiculously expensive? Videogaming as a hobby is already very pricey, and the constant leaps in technology aren't helping things.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 11:44:27 am »

That's what abandoneware is for, oh and GOG.com.
Pages: [1] 2