Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nethercaps and refrigeration  (Read 2324 times)

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nethercaps and refrigeration
« on: August 16, 2010, 02:03:32 am »

Upon reading a recent thread on magma pumps, I was surprised to learn that Nethercaps have their temperature fixed at 10 000*U (a quick trip to the wiki confirmed this). 
Further research pointed me that 10 000*U is 0*C. 

Which makes me wonder if a fully lined Nethercap block floor with Nethercap supports will freeze water.  Does temperature work that way?

If no one knows, I'll test it out.  Perhaps water pumped through a nethercap pump will....

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Nethercaps and refrigeration
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:52:24 am »

I believe so.

Even better, you can pump magma using nether-cap wood screw pumps.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:55:46 am »

Is this for serious? We have some supercoldmaterial? o.o
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:03:06 am »

What if I just built an artificial pond out of nether caps and then filled it with water? Would the water still freeze?

Gah, I should really breach the other cavern layers. Instead I have to keep mining bituminous coal since I only just found it on my embark site.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:14 am »

Bad news, I built a pond (with a roof) out of towercaps modded to have nethercap material statblock (interestingly, they were now called nethercap logs)
No freezing.  Pumped with (all) nethercap pump, nothing.  Filled the pond with supports made of nethercaps, nothing. 

Built the pond underground (filled with normal wood buckets), nothing. 

Checked to see temperature was on.  It was. 
EDIT: going to try modding the temperature to 0*U and seeing what happens. 

EDIT2: weird behaviour at 0*U.
The pond doesn't freeze. (even the one with the constructions)
When I tried to build a bucket out of 0*U nethercaps, the job completes but the bucket vanishes.  Just like that. 
I can build a workshop out of 0*U nethercaps just fine and it works normally. 

Built a bucket at 10 000*U normally.  Modding it to 0*U afterwards has no effect on it's operation.  Water in a 10 000*U or 0*U nethercap bucket does not freeze.  Going to make nethercaps boil at 1000*U with fixed temp 10 000*U just to for lolz.  I wonder what happens to underwater boiling wood...
Nothing apparently, everything not a construction made of nethercaps simply evapourates in red mist. 

EDIT3: Changing it to fixed temp 1001*U with boil at 1000*U.  Nothing.  Not even a wound. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:53:47 am by jseah »

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:51:52 am »

I am excited at these prospects. Dwarven Ice hockey here I come.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:41:06 am »

Is temperature on? I suspect it is, but you might want to check.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50:29 am »

If Dwarves were able to attach blades to their feet. I'm pretty sure Hockey wouldn't be the first thought in a player's head. More like trying to find a way to train kicking.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:50:12 am »

Well, I did check at the start and had to turn it on.  But all tests were conducted with temperature on. 

Lazy Newb Pack, 31.12. 

Anyone know why things screw up (newly made buckets disappearing) at 0*U?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:09:08 am »

Well, I did check at the start and had to turn it on.  But all tests were conducted with temperature on. 

Lazy Newb Pack, 31.12. 

Anyone know why things screw up (newly made buckets disappearing) at 0*U?

Well, at 0 Urist, your wood freezes.
But wait, there's more. Think about it. Wood. Freezing. The game has no reason, other than someone trying to freeze elves, to know what's frozen wood. And us being dwarves, we usually use the other spectrum of temperature to deal with the treehuggers - thusly, frozen wood is air.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:16 am »

I modded in a [FIXED_TEMP] material a while ago. It doesn't do anything noticeable outside of adventure mode's "it is cold" message.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 08:57:15 am »

A temperature of 0 is nonsense, its way below the absolute minimum. I think 9508 urists is 0 Kelvin, might want to keep it above that to prevent oddness.

Only reason I can think of for the bucket disappearing is that it took damage form its own cold, but that would mean normal logs take that damage as well so I guess not.

I also remember reading that constructions dont emit temperature. Might want to try paved roads and such.

Didnt know that nethercaps were magmasafe though. Magma axles at last! I also just gotta try making a windmill at the bottom of a magmalake now.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

elwessweettea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 09:22:57 am »

Under sufficiently cold temperature, all plant-based materials, including logs, will take damage. I had an embark once on 40d where I had 3 days to get everything underground: at the end of that time, my logs had gone from logs->xlogsx->XlogsX->XXlogsXX-> ; and so had my cloth, and my dwarves.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »

I also remember reading that constructions dont emit temperature. Might want to try paved roads and such.

Didnt know that nethercaps were magmasafe though. Magma axles at last! I also just gotta try making a windmill at the bottom of a magmalake now.
I filled the pond with supports made out of nethercaps.  =/

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42:11 pm »

Maybe regular buildings don't affect temperature flows either. Try dropping regular ol' logs in the water.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2