Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: aging and cages  (Read 563 times)

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
aging and cages
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:53:11 am »

ive heard conflicting reports on this - do creatures age in cages or not?
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: aging and cages
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:22:07 am »

They do. My caged puppies all grow up to be dogs.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:37:50 am »

thanks
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:56:11 am »

On a related note, can animals die of old age?  It would be annoying to come back to the cage and find all the dogs long gone.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:47:34 am »

Animals can die of old age, but it takes a really long time, several years at least, or even decades. If you use animals for anything other than sitting in a zoo, and don't run a vegan fort, no critter will last that long.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:29:42 am »

Animals can die of old age, but it takes a really long time, several years at least, or even decades.
Not necessarily. While quite a few of the more common animals (dogs, cats etc.) have a lifespan of 10-20 years, there are pets and other animals (particularly vermin) which will last nowhere near that. Merchants come along with wagons, with cage after cage filled with things like frogs and squirrels which can be adopted as pets by dwarves, and those pets then sit on the dwarf's shoulder or whatever while the dwarf gets on with life. Those vermin pets will only survive for 2-3 years. Similarly, underground critters including giant rats and naked mole dogs will die of old age after 2-3 years. Also, it should be pointed out that unless you have witnessed the birth (or growing up from child to adult) of an animal, you can't be certain of the animal's age...a dog you buy from a merchant may already be within that 10-20 year bracket and could theoretically die of old age the very day you buy it :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:20:54 pm »

Talk of vermin reminds me of the day I bought 20 some vermin for pets, and the two cats in my fort ran through and killed them all.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:29:23 pm »

Additionally, it would appear that animals that enter the map may already be well within the twilight of their life. I've had animals in my stud barn die of old age as early as year 3. (I set aside two males of every livestock species in a stud barn, and then mercilessly slaughter every other male as soon as they mature; sometimes the studs will die of old age and I have to replace them.)