Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What wild creature do you hate the most?  (Read 4654 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What wild creature do you hate the most?
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:09:51 pm »

So there is a huge variety of animals and creatures that roam the wilds in Dwarf Fortress. Some of them are harmless, some of them are irritating, and others can be downright deadly. I learned this in my most recent embark, in which I encountered the Ogre. This creature quickly became one of my biggest problems. They hunt down any Dwarf they see, mercilessly crushing the life out of them. Even my military couldn't stand up to them, due to their lack of armor and weapons. They have killed over 20 Dwarves over the span of 3 years, and there is no end to the problem they cause me.

So I was wondering if there were any other creatures that other players have bad experiences with (Obviously excluding civilizations and megabeasts).
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What wild creature do you hate the most?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:19:07 pm »

Alligators, cave crocodiles and so on. They move to fast I reckon and they eat my fisher dwarves  :'( .

They should only move fast for a few tiles before tiring. As it is now they chase my dwarves half way across the map!

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:27:44 pm »

I don't have a ton of experience with the game, but sasquatches would have to be the worst for me.  It was my first fort in untamed wilds, I had just started into the hills, then suddenly BLOOD EVERYWHERE.

Now that I think about it my miners might have been able to take care of him, but I hadn't known they could fight then.  Oh well.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:50:07 pm »

Crocodiles can run down human beings with ease. They can stand fully upright and get their legs underneath their bellies and gallop like horses. In certain parts of the world, this is a regular occurrence.

You're welcome.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »

Giant Eagles.  Normally they're not so bad, but when one gets annoyed, you can say goodbye to any Dwarves on the surface.  They'd probably be a lot less annoying if crossbowdwarves knew how to use their weapons properly.
Sanity is for the weak.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:02:31 am »

Giant Eagles.  Normally they're not so bad, but when one gets annoyed, you can say goodbye to any Dwarves on the surface.  They'd probably be a lot less annoying if crossbowdwarves knew how to use their weapons properly.

Yeah but at least in Vanilla Dwarf Fortress they can be turned into kickass war animals. Ogres can't be trained. They can't be butchered either. Also, one of the Ogres has earned the title "Princesstrap" for killing my Dwarves. Seems like an odd name.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:09:18 am »

buzzards.
st. mary ignacious, I hate these buggard buzzards!  other buggars are fine, I've got swords, or for the more buggardly buggars I may resort to walls and traps needs be, but these dastardly drakens start on the map from embark in numerous quantities and have on more than one occasion charged my still unguarded goods en masse and steal my stuf by flying away only to return the very next day.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 12:29:40 am »

I used to hate unicorns in 40d, mainly because when my idiot hunter (who always shows up 2-3 waves in) ran out with one bolt, the unicorn retaliated.  With a gaping chest wound to the hunter.  It's still somewhat annoying/sad to lose a dwarf to the dreaded unicorn.

But then I entered a strange mood, went into the RAW files, and with a mighty cleave of my digital pickaxe, I made the unicorns able to be tamed.  But then I thought, 'That's not bad enough.  I want them to be able to replace all the dwarves they've killed.'

So thus, my forts now use War Unicorns as guardian animals.  Then I saw something was wrong.  I wasn't getting any new ones from my current stock.  So I looked back at the raw files, and saw that they had no CHILD tags.  I fixed that problem, and then my forts started churning out Unicorn Foals.  Thus making my forts hated by elves everywhere.

A quick look at the files for Fire Imps and I fixed the same problems with them, too.  I've yet to brave any dwarf to try and get a live capture, see if my changes work, but it worked for the unicorns, should work for them too.  Eventually.

No, I'd have to say the most hated creature for me has been the !!clowns!!.  Oh, and anything in the new cave system, because I know even if I kill everything down there, it will only be replaced by something worse, soon enough.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 12:46:45 am »

Croco-fucking-diles,They tear apart unprepared dwarfs and can run extremely fast.However they make NICE war animals.

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 12:54:58 am »

Rhesus macaques, mandrills and anything else that steals my stuff.

...though, I'm sure I'd be able to stop them if I wasn't so lazy...

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 01:11:11 am »

got to agree with the crocs, both terrestrial and cave varieties.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 02:04:28 am »

I hate anything that is faster than me and can kill me in a matter of seconds. So, horses and unicorns.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42:33 am »

Keir Sarafian is a self-proclaimed "good guy." After all, he says, he has "character witnesses." His two older sisters love, respect and support him, and "people like that don't support monsters." And, of course, there's Keir's dad Ray. Widowed for more than fifteen years, Ray expends all of his energy on his kids (OK, and some on the occasional glass of beer...or two...or more).
Archlord gold,
 "You had to be a good guy if you were Ray Sarafian's kid,"Archlord gold says Keir. "You couldn't possibly be anything less." As Keir's narrative unfolds, though, readers may start to question whether Ray's "good guy" persona is really accurate. Troubling chapters that take place in the aftermath of an action that Gigi Boudakian is calling date rape alternate with chapters that tell the story of Keir's senior year in high school.
world of  warcraft gold,
Keir claims that the point of these stories is to tell the truth, world of  warcraft gold to show that he's not the kind of guy who could ever be capable of rape. As the saga of Keir's senior year unfolds, though, his account raises more questions than it answers. Keir's masterful tackle during the football season, which leaves the tacklee paralyzed and gives Keir the nickname "Killer," is an accident --- right?
maple story mesos,
 Clearly Keir wouldn't have gotten all those football scholarships otherwise --- would he?maple story mesos That video that shows a shadowy figure violently hazing the high school's soccer team couldn't be of Keir --- could it? That statue of Paul Revere couldn't have been so utterly destroyed by Keir and his friends in a post-party frenzy --- could it? And, of course, it's normal for Keir to forget all of these episodes after a night of binge drinking and popping  --- isn't it?
2moons dil,
By the end of the novel,2moons dil the reader, and maybe even Keir himself, is starting to question not only everything Keir claims, but also the premises on which he bases his life. Is his dad really a good influence, or does he enable Keir's problematic behavior? Do Keir's sisters really support him, or has their relationship already been utterly damaged? "The way it looks is not the way it is," says Keir. This statement is true in more ways than one, as INEXCUSABLE's surprising narrative plays out.
sunglasses replica,
 Chris Lynch's accomplished novel is bound to get readers thinking about whether or not they can trust this narrator.sunglasses replica They're also likely to consider long and hard what it means to be the popular guy, the "good guy," and whether those labels excuse a lot of destructive, dangerous behaviors. INEXCUSABLE is not only a compelling character study and a powerful, forceful story that will draw in readers --- it's also a thoughtful examination of a certain kind of young man, an exploration that should be practically required reading for high school students today. wedding dresses--- Reviewed by Norah Piehl 
wedding dresses,
Yeah,all of those are dangerous.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:10:10 am »

The wedding dresses, especially.  Did you know that the average wedding dress weighs more than two adult cats?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 03:17:25 am »

The wedding dresses, especially.  Did you know that the average wedding dress weighs more than two adult cats?
The sunglasses replica are much much more dangerous,they have a poisonous money stealing bite and a credit card robbing sting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5