Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What wild creature do you hate the most?  (Read 4648 times)

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What wild creature do you hate the most?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 08:51:15 am »

Groundhogs & mountain goats, particularly the undead versions. No threat just a constant annoyance. If I have undead creatures on the map I want them to be a threat or worth capturing. These are neither.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:03 am »

Slimes.

Effing slimes from dig deeper.

Protip: If you don't keep your doors tightly closed then slimes will sneak in and murder you in your sleep!
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 11:47:53 am »

Giant Cave Spiders.

40d. [CLUSTERSIZE:100:100][BIOME:ANY_LAND].

Bad enough? Zombie apocalypse map.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:49 pm »

Wolves. OH GOD MY THROAT! AAAUUGGHH! WHERE THE HELL DID MY EYES GO! GODS DAMN IT!

Gobli- Oh that kind of animal. Probably cougars, because they kill my little kobolds so fast, even with nice full bone plate.
I haven't had to deal with crocodiles yet.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »

They drink mt booze, eat my food, destroy my buildings, and cause forts to crumble to their end with almost no effort, they infest every map that I have ever started a fort in, and almost nothing seems to be able to prevent them from overrunning any map they appear on.

I am talking, of course, about the dorf... wait, wild animals? damn, I dunno...

Horses?  I had a horse fall in to a murky pool and learn to swim... it just stayed there until my hunter wandered by and then exploded into 20-30 'H's running around the map.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 06:03:25 pm »

Carp aren't as dangerous anymore though

A) more players have become more wary of rivers

B) There was a change in the code to make non aggressive wildlife seem less threatening to dwarves, causing the military (and the odd likes slaughter peasant) to be less likely to charge the fish and end up in the water.

and C) The new materiel system seriously nerfed carp bites.

Sure somebody attacked by a carp can still end up dodging into the water and drowning, but that's less likely now.  And a few camel kicks or beaked bites is more likely to be lethal than the chance of one carp attack causing a dodge, and that dodge having only a 3/8 chance of landing in water.

I'm still on 40d thoug. No time to put into learning the bugs, err, features, of the new version.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 06:32:37 pm »

Right now, I have to say it's the mandrills and macaques. Nothing else is so aggressive, so intent on getting into my fort than a pack of thieving monkeys. Not even the subterranean wildlife trying to path to the surface works this hard to charge through my dining hall.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »

40d. [CLUSTERSIZE:100:100][BIOME:ANY_LAND].

Bad enough? Zombie apocalypse map.

Why do I listen to you?  Now I'm certain all my dwarves are going to be eaten by spiders.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2010, 04:17:31 am »

Okay, I'm starting to hate vultures just as much as Ogres. At least Ogres can't fly. Before the vultures were just a petty annoyance, flying into the fort, stealing exposed meat, and interrupting work. But now they are actually attacking my Dwarves. Particularly the ones who are in the hospital due to Ogre related injuries. One of them just flew into the hospital and began attacking some poor bastard, ripping his ear clean off. Now he's gushing blood all over the place and there are vulture carcasses strewn across the hospital floor. I'm going to have to build more walls just to keep these birds from eating my injured dwarves.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2010, 04:36:19 am »

Not vanilla, but stoats. The little buggers are faster than anything else I've seen in the game (note: I haven't been playing long), come in swarms, and steal stuff. It's about 15 seconds (at 10-20 fps!) between the time they enter the map and the time they've made off with the masterwork armor that I was trying to get my dwarves to retrieve.  :-\
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2010, 06:34:19 am »

Hippos. They're impossible to survive. My riverbanks run with blood for the twenty seconds until my fort crumbles to its end.

Plus, it seems like my dwarves suddenly become teetotallers on maps with hippos.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 06:54:23 am »

Right now, I have to say it's the mandrills and macaques. Nothing else is so aggressive, so intent on getting into my fort than a pack of thieving monkeys. Not even the subterranean wildlife trying to path to the surface works this hard to charge through my dining hall.
Yeah, but have you actually seen buzzards or vultures? They are like flying macaques.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 07:01:34 am »

Hippos. They're impossible to survive. My riverbanks run with blood for the twenty seconds until my fort crumbles to its end.

Plus, it seems like my dwarves suddenly become teetotallers on maps with hippos.
Wait 'till you see skeletal or zombie hippos.They fuck me right up if I embark on a haunted zone.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2010, 07:23:06 am »

Any river-based creature capable of scaring/harming dwarves sucks big time.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2010, 10:12:07 am »

Lungfish. Freaking. Lungfish.

Embark by a river. Within 2 seasons there are 50 lungfish in the deepest part of my fortress. Within a year, the lungfish have climbed up enough stairs to reach the top of any tower I build. Cats will slaughter them by the 100, leading to massively overflowing refuse piles - yet this somehow never affects how many of them there are.

Also naked mole dogs / jabberers are annoying because of their extreme speed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:05:35 pm by The Yellow Peril »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5